“MOUSE in the house” 1 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   3710 Weber Rd., Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Sarasota, Florida
“MOUSE in the house”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

There was a MOUSE in the house and we do not mean Mickey for this vacation.

After a long drive with two children, we thankfully checked in and went to our room (BLDG E). The decor was older and the place was not particularly clean; however, it was late and I have traveled enough that this sort of issue is not a big deal. I stayed up reading and when I opened the door to go to the back bedroom, I saw a dark shape scurry past my bag and disappear. We searched the room and could not find anything. We thought (hoped) it was "just a cockroach". A little while later, I got up to go the bathroom. I shut the door to the bathroom and there was a mouse in the bathroom with me.... much to my horror. Upon closer inspection of the bathroom, we found mouse droppings and a hole in the cabinent where it had taken up residence. This mouse clearly lived in this space.

I called the front desk and they moved us to another room. By this time, it was 1:30am. We had to lug our sleeping children and luggage to a new unit. This was done with no assistance by the way. The person who gave us the keys just sat there and watched as we, in our pj's, loaded up our stuff and children as best as we could. The new unit was nicer and clearly not their Expedia room. It was cleaner BUT it also had a few (not nearly the amount as the first one) what appeared to be rodent droppings.

I expected some communication from the office the next day. Nope. I had to go the desk in the afternoon. The front desk person was not aware of the situation. After some fuss, the manager (James) finally appeared. He was most unhelpful. He insisted this is a "wilderness resort" and that it was the mountains and these things are "unfortunate" but do happen. Then he proceeded to explain there had been a rodent "issue" for the past 3 weeks because it had been hot there and the mice were looking to "get cool". He also compared a resident seeing a snake alongside the tennis court (OUTSIDE I might add) to the mouse in the house (as we now refer to this incident in our family). He did not offer to compensate us in anyway as we had moved rooms and was not apologetic. In fact, he stated he felt just as bad as I did. This is doubtful!! He also stated Orkin has been coming out every two weeks. Clearly, that hasn't been enough.

I asked for at least this night's room fee to be reimbursed. He offered much resistance and basically blew me off stating he would call back later that day after he "checked our reservation". No call. I called the desk at 6:30pm. I was told that the manager had left for the day. I complained - admittedly a lot to the poor front desk person (Jamie - whom by the way was a true professional and doing the best he could under poor management).

Later that evening I had a phone msg from the manager stating he would reimburse the room and there were options. When we checked out 2 days later, I expected the reimbursement. Nope - I was told I could stay an extra night for free (if that were the case would have been nice to know before check out and car loaded etc) or get a gift certificate for a future night. No and no thank you. My next option was to call Expedia myself and ask them to reimburse the room and "have them call the resort to confirm." I was beyond irritated as it continued to appear this manager just did not care about customer service or my business.

Jamie - front desk person - not the manager - graciously contacted Expedia himself after I admittedly complained again about the issue/service/rodents etc.. I am now awaiting a refund. We will see.

The views are beautiful. The property is in a good location. Rodents in your room are not acceptable. The managers actions and behavior was also unacceptable. We will NEVER stay here again despite the fact we visit Gatlinburg somewhat frequently. Recommend Bent Creek Resort at the bottom of the hill.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

We had a great time here. The rooms were of good size, clean and a great staff. There is a winding road to get here but manageable. Beautiful view from our balcony. Yes as other reviews ga e said, the mattresses are stiff and towels are thin bit overall it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

Great condos!! Very clean, very nice and helpful staff! Awesome view!!! Will stay there again!!!

• Stayed June 2012
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I lived in this resort with my family and i got to say its wonderful. The views were spectacular from the hotel over all i would stay this is worth the price you pay to stay in the hotel.
You find fully furnished rooms with upgraded kitechen,fireplace and a loft if you opt for it.

I went to this place for a regular weekend. However i would go back to this place for fall colors. You can go to many attractions near the Smokey within a short drive. The pool,jacuzzi & sauna were really good.

I booked through Orbitz and when you arrive at the hotel they would charge you around 50$ which is not included in the price you pay . Please be aware of this additional cost if you go through Orbitz.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Falmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

The cabin was great! We stayed in the Pine Cone Cabin. It was very clean and roomy and a great location. It was a great vacation. It was secluded--no view of the mountains. We were okay with it. You are almost on top of a mountain. Also, the drive is about 7 minutes from Gatlinburg. You are not in the heart of the crowds.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Katsue
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We made a last minute road trip to Gatinburg for Christmas. I have an infant and it would be more convenience for us if we booked a suite with a kitchen. I finally found and booked at a reasonable rate a one bedroom suite with a kitchen at Deer Ridge where located 10 to 15 minutes drive from downtown.We arrived Gatlinburg at night and the drive from the main road up to the mountain was very scary because there were lots of steep turns and narrow roads and it was dark. After five minutes drove up on mountains, we got stuck and spent several minutes driving around Deer Ridge stone sign and couldn't figure out if the resort located straight on the road or left side of the stone sign. We called, and we were told to make a left turn. Phew!! What a adventure!! After we arrived, we got paid off. The room was spacious with a nice balcony that overlooked the mountain. We only stayed for couple days, so we didn't actually spend a lot of time in the room or at the resort. I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lebanon, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed in c205 and absolutely loved it the view was awesome!!! couldnt get enough , the only problem we had was the GPS will take u threw the wrong part of the golf course and to a dead end that is a bridge with a walking trail, but if you go up just a little you will see the COBBY KNOB entrance and once you turn there u just follow the signs and the gps will pick back up and take u the right directions, Me and my boyfriend went up for the Thanksgiving weekend for a one on one get away and we loved the Deer Ridge the staff was very friendly and helped u any way they could, we will definetly go back just a not that if u are above someone try to be a little quieter!!! But i had no problem when we wanted fresh towels we went to the house keeping like our paper on the fridge said and we got clean towels. me over all exsperience was very pleasing gonna try to go back in the spring Thanks Deer RIdge and the staff!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Deer Ridge Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!