“A Smoky room in the Smoky Mts.” 2 of 5 stars

Brookside Resort
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   463 East Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #42 of 88 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“A Smoky room in the Smoky Mts.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The room had a fireplace, but even with the fireplace doors closed, there was a smoky smell all the time since it had never really been cleaned out from the previous time someone had used it. The place was being renovated, but none of the rooms available had been renovated yet. I think they were working on the conference center area first. All the people we met there were there because of a special deal through Groupon or Living Social, so I guess that was the only way they were getting any guests.Also, even though it advertised that all rooms had a balcony on the streamside, it was really like a roaring river.So loud that we had to turn up the tv to the max volume to hear it when we had the window open! Breakfast was in a small room with very limited choices: sweetened cereal, bagels, English muffins,biscuits/gravy, and fruit on the day that the "cook" was not there. We were all looking for something with a little protein, and finally got the "owner" or manager to make some scrambled eggs. Beds were clean, carpet was stained, and the tub had stains on it, or else it really needed a good scrubbing. The whole unit definitely needed renovation, but they should have a bigger crew working on it so that it would get finished faster, and have some "finished rooms" available when reservations are made.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms before you check in, to make sure it's okay!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
nashville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Brookside is an older typical Gatlinburg hotel. About a block off the strip, easy walk. Our room overlooked the Pigeon River. Beautiful sight. Desk staff very helpful. We didn't eat the complimentary breakfast because too crowed.

Room Tip: Room 305. Has a vaulted ceiling and very spacious. Great view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange City, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Read the most recent reviews, this place is a craphole.

So we rolled the dice with a living social deal at this hotel. Sucks we did. We arrived at the hotel and to be honest, I was giving it a chance because the lobby area of the hotel was extremely outdated, not just slightly, but 100%. It's like I took a step back in time to 1975. I'm ok with that, if it looked brand new, but it definitely looked and smelled very old.

We were given metal keys for our room. Yes old style original metal keys. So if you're staying at this hotel (which I recommend you don't), def lock all the locks on the doors so someone with a bump key doesn't break in.

So we go up to our room, open the door and it smells old, cold and a tad moldy. The carpet was stained (see pics for all of these problems), the door had a crack in it (which tape was just placed over it on the inside it that was falling off), the molding around the kitchen area was all chewed off, paneling covered EVERY SINGLE WALL. The bathroom still had a "steam bath" device hooked up to it, it was extremely out of date. Gotta love avocado color right? Wrong. The shower also had a sliding glass door on it, but the top was covered in the glass as well so when you shut the door, it was extremely claustrophobic. The "kitchen" area had a bathroom vanity sink in it and a large mirror... so was it really a "kitchen" area because there was a microwave on top of the counter?

I backed up the toilet once I got there and when I called the front desk, they said that plungers don't work on those toilets because the piping was old and the guy at the bring a big ol snake for the toilet into the room. so after about 5 min of fiddling around with the toilet, it finally flushed. The guy was really nice, but the hotel just plain sucked.

I could hear people through the walls on both sides. The fireplace was nice in our room, but we were never given anything to light it with.... I guess they expect everyone to smoke these days and carry a lighter, so we never made a fire, but did have some embers from the person above our fireplace fall down and I could hear them stoking the fire as I was trying to sleep.

We locked ourselves out of the room because we were never told NOT to push the button on the knob before we shut the door. I've always locked a door by pushing in the button. Well they informed us this was the "master" lock and only a master key would unlock it. so after I drove to the front desk (proper it split up into building units and we were the last), they came up about 30 min later and the guy was fiddling with his keys and wasn't even sure he had the correct one to let us in. He finally found the right key and let us in.

And this "breakfast bowl" they make look so great in the pics, is an egg casserole made in a lasagna dish and served in a lovely Styrofoam bowl. This was only given to us when we asked. It seemed as though it's something they advertise, but don't want to actually part with.

Read the reviews, look at the photos I posted and don't stay here. Put your money into another hotel.

Asheville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This must of been a great place to stay years ago. The setting is very nice with the river running right through the resort. The rooms were very big with a fireplace and the back door opened up to a little porch looking right over the river. You can tell the setting was carefully designed and lots of work put into the rock walls etc.. But with all things it is time has come and gone.
The breakfast was good but the women running it had such an attitude and had a tip jar that said feed the kitty with no money in there. Like I said some things just need to be gone.

Texas City, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

After driving for hours with my husband and little girl we were looking forward to a good rest. We checked in and walked into a room from the 50s. Now i was expecting a little bit of outdated, but this should be considered thrift store furniture. The bed sheets were nasty. The strip is about 1.5 miles away. The strip itself is about 2 miles then a 1.5 mile walk back to the hotel. So if you walk all the way with little ones thats almost a 7 mile walk. NOT really convenient. Either way, the hotel was truly nasty and we checked out after the second day. Definitely will not be back.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is the worst experience at a hotel ever. I checked in today and did not get what I booked on Priceline. I paid extra for a fireplace smoking room. I got a room that had no fireplace, dank smelling, no microwave as it said on website. I went to front desk and was told it was pricelines fault and they did not even try to help me out. I asked nicely for a microwave since I am staying two notes and brought food and was supposed to have one, the gentleman said we would try to do you one, I do not think he even tried. Told them Internet was not working and he said they would reset router again not done. So so disappointed. I can't see how anyone writes a good review. I think when you book through Priceline the give you the crap not cool. Do not stay here I am forced to stay another nite and so regret not paying a few extra dollars for a decent hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Brookside is not a Hampton Inn. It is an older resort that is being upgraded. I stayed there recently (Mar 2013) and I have no complaints. My two adjoining rooms were clean, had new carpet, and was what I needed. The prices are in line with similar places. I have stayed there several times and find we really spend little time in the room. It's a great location, my four teenagers walked back and forth to the Parkway and we had no issues. The Brookside is a family owned resort and the economy hits them as much as the rest of us. I saw plenty of work being done quietly towards the resort upgrade. The fixtures we had were older and whether or not they will be replaced doesn't matter. On top of everything, during this past visit, our maid found a set of keys outside and asked me if they were mine. My teenaged daughter had dropped the keys and we didn't miss them until our maid found them. This is a good place. We are planning to return later this year.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Brookside Resort? Share your experiences!