“Buckhorn Inn - Another fantastic trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buckhorn Inn

You added Buckhorn Inn to your Saves list
Buckhorn Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2140 Tudor Mountain Road, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Gatlinburg B&B and Inns
North Carolina
“Buckhorn Inn - Another fantastic trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Each year my wife and I take a weekend trip to celebrate her birthday. This year we selected the Buckhorn Inn. We've stayed at the Buckhorn Inn previously but never in December. We looked forward to seeing the holiday decorations and experiencing a winterland atmosphere in Gatlinburg. We arrived the evening of Friday -- November 30 and were warmly greeted.

After checking into our suite, we went into Gatlinburg for dinner. The next morning we enjoyed a fantastic breakfast before heading out for a day of adventure. Saturday evening we dined at the Buckhorn. We enjoyed a fantastic meal (prime rib) and the fact that we only had to walk fifty feet back to our room.

My wife and I discussed several times how much we enjoyed the Buckhorn and how wonderful the staff and owners are. The inn is immaculate and attention is paid to every detail. The dining is excellent and convenient.

Last year (2011) we visited The Old Edwards Inn in Highlands, NC. It is extremely nice, but we enjoyed our visit to Gatlinburg and the Buckhorn Inn as well as anywhere we have stayed in recent years.

Room Tip: For a bit more you can reserve a premium room. The extra room and amentities are worth the additiona...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Jefferson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Buckhorn Inn is in a wonderful location to enjoy a peaceful rest. I arrived on Tuesday evening to enjoy a four course dinner. The food was fabulous; I licked each plate clean. The menu was delicious and the presentation of the food was very well thought out. Every staff member I encountered was sincere and courteous. It was as if we were queens! I retired to my room to find a very comfortable bed awaiting me. After a nice long bath in the jacuzzi tub, I turned on the fireplace to relax. It was the best night of sleep I have had in a long time. The quiet serenity and the beautiful view of the mountains set the tone for a perfect wake from my warm slumber. It was hard to get out of bed, but I knew that I could not miss breakfast! The fire in the dining room was crackling as I enjoyed my fruit plate and coffee. Each item on the breakfast menu had my mouth watering. I ordered some eggs and bacon. The coffee cake and biscuits were delicious as well. Once again, I was stuffed. The staff were one again extremely kind. It was as if we had been friends for years as they greeted us and spoke with us throughout the morning. The view from the dining room is breathtaking. The trees perfectly frame the Smoky Mountains. It was so hard to drive away, but I plan to return soon! This is a quality bed and breakfast! The Innkeepers and staff are an amazing collection of people that really make your stay complete. A beautiful setting, a lovely inn, delicious food, and warm people create the perfect getaway!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We visit the Buckhorn Inn at least twice a year, in August and again during the winter months. We just visited this month (November). We have been staying at the Inn for several years. We stay in either cottage 5, 6, or 7. The views are wonderful. The large jacuzzi is also a great way to relax after hiking and shopping. We enjoy the gas fireplace during the cool months. The Inn offers the finest in dining--a 4-course dinner and then a wonderful breakfast the next morning. The Innkeepers are so pleasant and friendly, as well as all the employees who work there. The Inn is convenient to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, yet is located away from the hustle & bustle of traffic and crowds. We always drive to Greenbrier for a walk or drive through the mountains along side a mountain creek - this too is not far from the Inn. There are shops located in the area and on the craft loop and a wonderful little restaurant called The Wild Plum that we visit for lunch. Don't eat too much so that you can enjoy the wonderful dinner at the Inn. You will love your visit at the Inn and will probaby want to reschedule your next visit soon. You will enjoy sitting on the back porch in the rocking chairs watching the birds and looking at Mt. LeConte. There's a lot to do. Be sure and treat yourself to a stay at the Buckhorn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We visit Buckhorn every fall and look forward to the experience all year. It is a serene and gorgeous setting, the food is extraordinary, and the people friendly and accommodating. Breakfast is delicious with lots of choices. Dinner is a gourmet meal with candlelight and flowers. This is southern hospitality at its finest.

Room Tip: We like the premium rooms on the first floor. Beautiful views from Room 1.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Russel Corner, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I am a return visitor to The Buckhorn Inn, twenty seven consecutive years. For me, staying at the Buckhorn is a 5-star experience. The owners and staff will go to nearly any length to provide you with a professional, genteel experience. The breakfasts are superb. I enjoy eating in the inn and talking with other guests. However, if you prefer not to dress the staff will delivery breakfast to your room. The location of the Inn provides easy access to some of the best hiking trails in the Smokies and, if you prefer, is convenient to great shopping. The expansive grounds provide ample opportunity to take a quiet hike, walk in the meditation garden or commune with the resident swans -Pen and Teller. Visit their website and explore the place for yourself. I recommend the Buckhorn with out reservation. THP

Room Tip: There is a choice between Suites in the Inn and cottages. All are tastefully furnished and very com...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We've celebrated our anniversary at Buckhorn Inn for a number of years. As usual the staff, room, and ambiance met every expectation. We stay in the traditional inn itself, rather than one of the separate buildings. The room was clean and well prepared every day. The inn is convenient to all Smoky Mountain Park features, as well as Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Cherokee.

We always eat dinner at the inn. The setting, food and service are always a treat. The inn now offers wines to go with the meals, or BYO as in the past.

We have friends who have stayed here, and they have always had a great time.

We unreservedly recommend the Buckhorn Inn.

Room Tip: Check the web site, or call Debbie in the office. There are several rooms in the inn itself, and a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We had an "okay" stay. The breakfast was nice, although I hated feeling I had to be dressed up to eat breakfast. Which of course, they can't help that.

Our room was tiny and the bathroom was sorely disappointing. (Old tub, low low shower head; I'm 5"3 and could stare right at it, hubby having to duck to wet his hair)

We stayed in the tower room (only thing available.) It is three levels.. 1st level a useless "sitting room" the 2nd a bathroom (that's all, other than a closet and dresser, and lastly the top floor was your bed and only 1 chair, no room for anything else, luggage stays on floor)

Stairs were skinny and steep and no hand rails on the bottom half of each stair well. Carrying luggage up 4 flights of steps was just insane and difficult.

Temperature control was another big issue. To cool the room you have two window units, one in a window by the bathroom, the other upstairs that is installed underneath a window which blows TOO COLD even on a high temp low setting right in your face laying down. it was annoying.

Our last and final issue was the snobby nature of the other guests and management. We were the youngest in every circumstance by 40+ years, and even initiating "hellos"; we were brushed off every time. (Not the inn's fault, but a common theme among other reviewers) We didn't feel like we fit in the way others seemed to. This didn't matter so much to me; but bothered my husband.

Dinner was good. $76 worth? No. We had just as good of a meal in gatlinburg the previous night for $30 less! Service of the servers for breakfast and dinner was top notch, best service I've had in awhile.

Pillows and bed sheets were clean (and comfortable) however, the top blanket needs to be washed. The carpets were dirty as well. Also, the view is spectacular from the top, but... It's BRIGHT. You can lower the blinds but their white, so it doesn't help much. For you non morning people, this is important!!

If we came back, we would stay in a different room.

• Stayed August 2012
Lee M, Owner at Buckhorn Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
I am writing to thank this guest for her assessment of her stay. We have improved the Tower since her visit, correcting problems she pointed out including the bathtub and shower head. Some of the characterics she found unsatisfactory are inherent in this room--accurately described as a Tower in our literature and online--and is one of the reasons this unit is our least expensive. I am particularly sorry she felt out of place at our Inn as customer satisfaction and hospitality are generally considered hallmarks of Buckhorn Inn. If we failed in this regard, I offer my sincerest apologies. If this guest will contact me directly, I would be grateful for an opportunity to talk to her personally and invite her back for a complimentary visit.

Been to Buckhorn Inn? Share your experiences!