“Older but beautiful and peaceful” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Motel   |   402 Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738-3008   |
Offers & Announcements
SWEETHEART OF A DEAL
Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
“Older but beautiful and peaceful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Zoder's, June 10-15. As with most hotels, there were good parts and some not so good parts.

1. The staff was wonderful. We checked in at about 2 in the morning after a long
Drive from Louisiana. The desk attendant knew who we were and check in was a breeze. Our first room had a broken A/C, but the attendant took immediate care of us and has us in a new room in under a half hour. Everyone was nice and helpful throughout our stay.

2. We booked a dream suite, I believe. The room was very spacious. A great king sized bed with the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on in a hotel. It is a soft mattress so if you like firm beds, you might not have been as happy as me. There was a nice hot tub in the room as well as a quaint fire place. Lovely! The bathroom was pretty dated, though. Weird setup and tiny tiny bathroom. The design didn't really match the rest of the room. Also, not all of the electrical outlets worked. Minor issues for us. The room overall was great.

3. Private parking lot that lets out closer to town. Fantastic! Zoder's is located a little out of the way from the main strip (Parkway) of Gatlinburg, but this parking lot let out right on the edge of the main drag. It's a perk for the upgraded rooms, however. Note that.

4. Food. Breakfast was probably my biggest let down of this hotel. From 6-10 in the morning, it was glorified elementary school cafeteria food. Little box cereals and bagged oatmeals, basic toast or bagels or hard boiled eggs. Juice was available but only basic apple or orange. For the price range of this hotel, I did expect something a bit higher in quality. A waffle maker at least...

5. Amenities. The outside pool was cute and the indoor pool was nice. There is supposed to be a waterfall wall for the indoor pool but we never saw the waterfall working. Perhaps they were fixing something? The rec room looked more than adequate, and there were racket ball courts! Fun!

6. The views. This was the best part I think, aside from the amazing bed and hot tub. There is a gorgeous creek that runs through this property. Some rooms are built right over it and some are built into the hillside over looking it all. We had a higher built room. On the creek bank there are picnic areas and lounging areas. Even a place to grill out if you want! So beautiful and peaceful!

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. Beautiful scenery, comfort level through the roof and great staff. Just update the bathrooms and breakfast and this hotel would be a six star gem.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We just returned from a trip to Gatlinburg that included a 2-night stay in a courtyard suite at Zodor's. I do not like writing negative reviews, especially with so many rave ones on here, but my experence at Zodor's left me extremely disappointed. The room keys we were given upon checking in did not work, so we had to wait for the hotel to walk new ones to us (the room is more remotely located, so this took a few minutes . . . not their fault but frustrating given that we were traveling with small children, one of whom had to go to the bathroom). When we got new keys and entered, the room just didn't seem clean to me -- it had a really bad smell. Even worse, there was a dead roach in the bathroom. To be fair, I have an extraordinary aversion to bugs. We tried to be open-minded but the deal-breaker came when we noticed the anchor bolts used to hold the deadbolt in place were coming out of the frame. It looked like somebody tried to break into the room.

The hotel was understanding and gave us a new room -- right next to this one -- with the second-worst best I have ever slept in (seriously, we thought we were going to roll out of it). I spent the next two nights incredibly uncomfortable, worried about bugs, break ins and a bad back.

I am not a complete novice traveler. I have stayed at everything from youth hostels in Europe to the Four Seasons and honestly, this was one of my most uncomfortable experiences. So disappointed.

Franklin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

How to rate Zoders...? Yes the rooms are on a large stream. Balcony right over the stream. Many hotels in the area can boast this - but Zoder's had the prettiest river/landscaping of the properties that I could see from the strip. Lovely and relaxing. It is off the beaten path - in an area that is beginning to look run down. Still very walkable to all the area sights - but off to one end (away from the park) and with lots of closed properties around it. Upside - it was quiet. Beds in our room were doubles - not queens (probably wouldn't fit well). Bedding and pillows - average. I'm guessing the hotel was last updated in the 80s (extra phone in the bathroom, racket ball courts in the fitness area), but overall, well maintained for an older property. And, most of the properties within walking distance are older properties. Breakfast is average: toast, bagels, cereal, boiled eggs, etc. Wine and cheese was average: Barefoot wine in very small glasses, Chex mix with some cut up cheese and sausage. Milk and cookies were a nice touch! Soft chocolate chip cookies (like Entenmann's). Nice outdoor pool and indoor pool with sauna. My room rate for early June was $98. If I go back I will probably shop around and compare to see if what's available towards the middle of the strip. But, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that are not over the stream....
NOVA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Really don't understand the ratings because TA reviewers are typically right on target. First, ensure that you understand they have double beds...not queen beds. They say double on their site so my fault but how often do you book a room that's not a queen? The mattresses and pillows are uncomfortably lumpy; we had a hard time getting to sleep. The room had a window AC which meant is was either blowing cold or you got to listen to it kick on and off throughout the night. The room seriously needed attention...dated to the 80's. The free breakfast wasn't impressive. Yes it has a balcony overlooking a stream but we found out there were better hotels with that amenity. They advertise WiFi. Maybe during the day but definitely not in the evening. The polite person behind the desk let me know that sometimes the concrete between rooms is a problem and everyone is using it in the evening. Want to watch something on your Kindle or iPad? Nope. The staff is very nice and it was affordable but it should not be ranked so high on TA. If I had been able to see the property first we would have paid more to stay at another hotel. Sorry, Zoders.

Winter Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Gatlinburg can be a hectic place, and Zoder's offers a peaceful place to stay. Keep in mind that this hotel is on the far end of the main street that runs through town [called the Parkway]. However, it provides easy access to Pigeon Forge. The hotel is older, but is well-maintained and seems to be staffed by dedicated employees. We would return to this property. Dora was an excellent housekeeper, and the staff replaced our television after we experienced poor tv reception. Our room had the best lighting that we've experienced in quite some time. Our bed was soft, yet very comfortable, and the pillows were fluffy and substantial. We never heard a sound even if there were neighbors next door. If you are a light sleeper, the air conditioner cycles between the fan and ac without cutting off which is something I always look for. While some reviewers have found the stream too noisy, we loved the noise and the beautiful view.

Room Tip: The Zoder's website is very helpful when making your room selection.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Really. Yes, a river roars by your outside patio door. Free wine and cheese reception. Family run. Laundry room. Friendly staff. Very clean. Free computers and laundry room. Front desk staff very helpful. Authentic Tennesse folks. Handy location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river. I think most do. It's like camping but you get a bed.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is our third stay in the past six years and we simply love this place. While you can find others places that are newer and located a little closer to the heart of Gatlinburg, I doubt if you will find a staff that works harder to make your stay a good one. If you want a clean room, affordable rates, a relaxing stream just below your room's balcony, and a room within easy walking distance to the heart of Gatlinburg, then Zoders Inn & Suites is your place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Zoders Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!