“Fleas” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Tennessee, United States
“Fleas”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor.com, I was hesitant about booking a room here, but the other group in my party went ahead and booked here. I went ahead and booked a theme room for two nights. The room layout wasn't bad, but there was an obvious pet smell. Upon first entering the room, I immediately checked the bed, and I didn't find any bedbugs. I checked around the bathroom for signs of roaches, and I didn't see any of those either. Not much of our time was spent in the room as most of the time we were sightseeing. On the morning of our departure, my wife was in the bathroom and screamed. There were fleas all over the place. I went out on the balcony and checked my clothing, and sure enough, I found several more on my pant legs. We found several more in/on our luggage on the drive home. We ended up bug bombing our car with our luggage still inside before bringing any of it inside our house. I will not stay there ever again, and unless you are desperate to find a place that allows pets, I recommend you all to stay away. We did not take our dogs on this trip, and this was the first time I've had to worry about giving my dogs fleas and not vice versa.

Side note: Our remaining party's room smelled worse, and there was an abundance of spiders on the balcony.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
General_Manager_740, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I apologize for your experience at our inn and I wish I would have known of this sooner while you were a guest here. The comfort of our guests is our top priority and we take any and all concerns very seriously. Our entire team here takes all action to make sure that we not only meeting our guests expectations but exceeding them as well. We will continue to do so and hope you will provide us an opportunity to show you that the next time you are in town

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

First of all, I am done booking hotels with you Expedia. This is the last time I will be given a piece of you know what hotel room, the worst in the building, because I booked it through your company for the exact same price the hotel offers on their website. The hotels can see ahead of time if you book with Expedia and I am convinced after this latest experience (since I can't remember the last positive Expedia booking I've had) that once they see it's an Expedia booking, they punish you by not booking through them directly and give you the worst room in the house. Back in the day when I first started using Expedia and other similar sites, I actually saved money. Nowadays it's the exact same price as the hotel's website. So why use Expedia esp. when the hotel is the one that chooses the room they give you (not Expedia) and what is advertised on Expedia is not what the hotel front desk gives you in the end. No, they see Expedia and they pick the worst in the lot and that's the room you end up with. This happens EVERY time. I think I saved one dollar this time, and yet I was given a room with a view of the parking lot and AC unit, dirty beds that clearly had not been changed/washed in a long time (had hairs, dead bugs and dirt smears on the sheets), used toilet paper still sitting on the bathroom floor, roaches on the sink when I woke up in the morning, a pool that was closed even though this was not advertised on the site nor on the hotel's website and not even told to us upon check in....in fact they still keep it bubbling and lit up at night so you think you can use it until you walk to it in your bathing suit only to see a tiny sign that says closed for the season, light switches in our room that don't work, and I could go on and on. Oh yeah, and thin walls too...yet I can handle hearing everythiing in my neighbor's room, but what I cannot handle is a dirty, bed bug/roach infested room. I am beyond disgusted and am convinced I am going to catch some disease just from using the toilet because if the bed sheets weren't even clean I can only imagine the rest of the place. It advertises itself as having a kitchenette...so let's just clarify. It's a motel room with a micro and a fridge. Nothing else. The "cabinets" in the kitchenette for whatever food or utensiles you might want to store (since they are empty) are filthy, and the cabinets underneath where we put our luggage were full of cobwebs and god knows what else. We left no food out and threw our trash every night in the outside bin and yet still woke up to two roaches on our counter. I can only imagine the last time the carpet or bedspreads/blankets were clean. I understand this is a pet friendly hotel (I had my cat so that is why I booked here) but there are lots of pet friendly hotels that don't equal flea bag roach hotels. I have never been more disgusted by any hotel. I am shocked that this is a a Red Roof Inn and not a "red light district" motel instead. I am so grossed out I have taken two showers and still feel I need another one. The ONLY nice thing I can say is that it looks much nicer on the outside, the couple who greeted us when we arrived the first night were very helpful and nice, and we had a fireplace. Other than that, it was disgusting. And I still paid $60 bucks plus tax per night. I am fine with motels, I am not fine with dirty disgusting not clean motels. For the condition of our room we should have paid $30 per night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
General_Manager_740, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I apologize for the experience that you had while a guest at our inn. Our goal is to not only meet the expectations of guest but to exceed them, no matter where they booked their stay. We strive to provide a nice place at a nice price and based on the comments and reviews here we can see that this experience is not the norm for our team and I have spoken to them to ensure we are all working to continue to provide not only the best guest experience but the best room experience as well. I hope you will give us an opportunity to show you our commitment to this the next time you are in town.
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the red roof inn. The location was near all of the attractions that we wanted too see. All within walking distance. The rooms were big, and quiet. The people at the front desk were so nice and whatever we needed they either had or knew where we could get it. Next time we go to Gatlingburg, this is where we will stay. They also allow small pets for free.

Room Tip: Corner suites are so large, and quiet.
Wendover, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is the 3rd time we've stayed here. The rooms are a little outdated but clean. The bed was a little uncomfortable but usable. The staff is friendly and very helpful if you need advise on what to do or directions. The dog walk is fantastic. There is breakfast but mostly sweet cereal or waffles. [Not good for people who watch their dietary intake.] The walk to town is about a half mile but the trolley stop is at the end of the road. We wouldn't hesitate to visit here again.

Bardstown, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

the hotel is beautiful! the people at the front are nice and helped us in the direction we needed to go. not to far into town of gatlinburg. i started to believe some of the reviews on here that said the hotel was far from town but i guess the people were lazy, big size room perfect for pets smelled great the theme room was perfect the balcony was good to sit on. the breakfast need's some work! but i will stay there again and recommend it to anyone

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Very clean, staff are nice.
Has a balcony to sit outside with your pet.
Breakfast eat somewhere else not worth it. If you like to walk you can make it from here to strip
Once your there you don't want to move your car parking limited in front

• Stayed September 2012
Anna, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This hotel is a bit out of date, but the room was very clean, the added fridge and microwave was nice, the staff was very accommodating and friendly and it's hard to beat the view especially from the top floor! I received the room I requested, it was extremely affordable as I booked it in advance, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again. We brought our dog, the room smelled clean, no fleas, no noise. My ONLY complaint would be that the bright lights they use for the front parking lot make viewing the sky and mountains difficult if you want to sit out on the balcony at night.

Room Tip: Next time, I'll request an east facing room to cut down on the glare of the parking lot lights a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Gatlinburg? Share your experiences!