“Great for the money you pay.” 4 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn & Suites Gatlinburg
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Hemlock Street, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #37 of 86 hotels in Gatlinburg
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Great for the money you pay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

First off I don't know if we got lucky but I have no clue as to why people are bashing this place because we had a pretty good experience Labor Day weekend. First of all we arrived into town several hours before check-in time. Tired with no energy to sight see after our drive we figured we'd ask if they had early check-in. We would've been happy with anything prior to 3 but they let us check in then and there. Great service by the front desk! The rooms were actually a lot better than I expected from prior reviews. The beds were pretty clean and comfortable and the fireplace was a nice touch (though not needed obviously). I would've liked a more private balcony facing the woods but I understand some rooms face the front of the property so no biggie. The A/C was on so the room was nice and cool. In my opinion the room was rather spacious as well. I admit the property isn't next door to the aquarium but the walk isn't bad at all so I really don't get all the complaints. Plus there's a trolley stop right in front of you don't want to walk or drive into town. I will say don't even bother wasting your time with the so called breakfast. The woman working was rude as heck and acted like the customers were in her way as she did her work. I literally had to wait for her to get done with the tongs as she re-stocked the bagels when all I needed was 1 and she saw me waiting!! My girlfriend almost busted her butt on the super slippery floor and the rude breakfast lady didn't even bother to ask if she was ok. The biscuits and gravy are the worse thing I ever tasted in my life and since I'm not a kid I wasn't impressed with the waffles either. So needless to say coffee and juice is all they were good for in that aspect. I wish the pool was open a little later because it would've been nice to relax after coming back after a busy day but I guess you can't expect an outdoor pool to be open too late. Both of the ice machines ended up going down during our stay but not at the same time. We personally had no wi-fi issues at all to my surprise. All in all as long as I could get the same type of deal I'd stay here again because though we paid a "value price" things were above my expectations but I'd never pay the prices I've saw listed other places to stay here. Don't expect five star but a pretty decent place to stay for the price.

Room Tip: Don't waste your time with the "breakfast"

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
louisville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

for the price its a really good value. The carpet was really really dirty, with lots of big stains. I think if they change the carpet and paint the stairs then it will be okay. also the ac was not on when we arrived so it took sometime to cool it. the rooms are big and also had a nice fireplace and a balcony. The biggest issue I had was with the staff. I called them to add my husband to the reservation. they said i have to call priceline for it. so i called priceline. they said only the hotel can do it. so then the priceline lady was really nice so she put me on hold and called the hotel and asked them to add the name. the hotel told her the name was added. i called again the day of the trip to verify and the hotel told priceline the name was added. so we show up there and the guy at the front desk said , no we only have one name on reservation. he looked like he didnt know how to operate the computer. after fooling around for a bit he told us we can get it added when we checkout. so the day of the checkout, another guy at the front desk. Before we checked out, i told him the whole story. he fooled around for a bit then printed out our confirmation and said its done. I happened to glance at the paper and guess what, only one name was on it. so i told him "u said you added both". he said "oh we dont add names, only priceline can do that. and anyways I can't add it now since you already checked out". I ASKED HIM BEFORE WE CHECKED OUT TO ADD IT. overall, i felt like the staff didnt care for the customers. they just knew how to check in and checkout and if you asked them to do anything out of their normal routine, instead of telling you that they couldnt do it, they tried to fake it. i wouldn't stay here again. stay here if you want a cheap, dirty hotel with no service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
General_Manager_740, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Gatlinburg Aquarium Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies
To let you know since you booked reservation through Priceline, it is the responsiblity of Priceline
to send you a confirmation no., to edit reservation and send you a reciept for your charges.
Please call Priceline for your issues
Thanks
Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The prople were very nice, got us in as a walk in, but did not offer us the AAA rate, so OK we had a place to stay with our Pet,
The room had an odor to it and we had to sleep with the balcony door open, but it is a good thing the A/C unit worked as good as it did
The breakfast Room was the worst, dirty tables, food on floor, and the only thing to eat was Bread, Biscuits and Gravy, Toast, Waffles(Makers were dirty), no fruit, Juice was empty, coffee was weak

Room Tip: Park in front of the building,
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Gatlinburg Aquarium Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

At Red Roof, we strive to provide superior service to every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I want you to know that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem that occurred during your stay to prevent any future occurrence.

Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business

Thanks
Chapmanville, West Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Really was unsure of what we would find at the hotel since it had mixed reviews. It is a pet friendly hotel with large rooms. The rooms did not smell of previous pet guest so that was a plus. Nice balcony that over looked the pool. Was disappointed by the distance from the aquarium, for a hotel that mentions it in its name. Service was over all very good with the exception of the cleaning crews lack of refilling the toilet paper. Fridge, microwave and fireplace in the room. Was surprised when we arrived and the AC was not on. Seems like it took a day or so to get to a completely cool state. The pool was nice and was fun to swim in at night when the pool lights change colors. Over all it was worth the price we paid.

• Stayed September 2012
Louisville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

At 4 am, my family was awakened by a piercing beep and "Low Battery Warning". The warning occurred every 15 min. and as I was falling back asleep (even while wearing earplugs) Finally around 6 am, I had enough and hunted for the source (we had blamed cell phones, ipods, etc). It was the smoke alarm! I finally took it off the wall thinking that would fix it--it still continued to beep! At 6:30 am, I delivered it to the front desk so they could listen to it. Front desk was understanding and told me to come back at 9:30 am to speak to the manager. I told the manager, "We are staying for 2 evenings, you need to comp this first night. My family came here to rest and enjoy Gatlinburg. Our first night was ruined and now we would drag the rest of the day." The manager said, "We will take care of it." That satisfied me until checkout.
At check out, he discounted the room a full 15%! Ridiculous!!! I responded there was no way he would put his family through a similar experience. He offered another 15% off the price. I steamed out of there never to return. When I checked out, that room still did not have a smoke alarm. DO NOT STAY HERE.
Other Cons: Dated rooms,
--Room smelled of animal urine
--WiFi was unusable
--Air Conditioner required repair
--Ice Maker did not work
Pro
--Pet friendly unless you have a fire in room
--Other guests tried to warn us not to stay here (sorry we did heed their warning)

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
General_Manager_740, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Gatlinburg Aquarium Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies
I never comitted for comp room for first night.
We have given 25% off on first night. We also offered additional 15% .
We could not put back fire alaram because there was a Do Not Disturb sign on the door
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Well I'm writing this review from the balcony of the Red roof inn. 1st off do not believe that this red roof is any where near the Aquarium because it's at least 20 mins away from it by walking and 10 by driving due to heavy traffic. The Internet works if you come outside and use it but n the room is useless. The business center they speak of is 1 computer in the office which looks like it was a a reject from the 70s. The staff is full of excuses for the net not working or the ice machines not working or extra pillows.
The rooms are clean and the beds are semi soft. If you are a big guy like me "professional wrestler" then a queen size bed with your wife is a nightmare. We have yet to try the free breakfast but as my review title says if you think you are getting a hotel close to the strip you are being taken and they should have to change the name. It is own by a family of pakastains who have no clue as to how Americans should be accomdsted so take that as a warning. But my advice is steerr clear of the Red roof inn nowhere near the strip in gatlinburg

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We do not expect Dicriminatory remarks from our guest
I am a proud american
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

It needs updated like flat screen tv's. But it was a pretty nice stay with good views. The beds need softer mattress too. Not bad for the price. We paid 55.99 for the room. It is 100% smoke free hotel. But they do let you smoke on the balcony if you shut your door. If you smoke in your room they will charge you a fee of $200.00. It's says by the aquarium which it's about two to three blocks away..

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Gatlinburg? Share your experiences!