“Fantastic campsite and great value cabins” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Smoky Bear Campground & RV Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Smoky Bear Campground & RV Park
Hwy 321, PO Box 454, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Catterick, United Kingdom
“Fantastic campsite and great value cabins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

What a great find....found on trip advisor and true to the reviews! I had been looking for a log cabin for one night stay in the smokies. I rang the site and the owner was fantastically helpful and accommodating where all other cabins had been less so. She was happy for me to just book one night but suggested I might need more time to enjoy the beautiful smokies and she was right......we ended up staying two nights but would have stayed more had we been able to. The location is great....quiet but massively convenient for hiking, walking out or getting in to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. We were provided with fantastic local information on arrival at the site which really helped. The site was really clean, quiet and just lovely. My little girl immediately made friends and was off playing in the safe and well maintained childrens playground within sight of our cabin. The cabin was clean, warm and beautifully maintained....we had a fridge, microwave, oven and were even provided with linen and towels that I failed to remember to bring at no extra charge. The site makes you feel very welcome and sad to leave. I LOVE Tennessee so much after this our first visit to the State and our experience with the campsite has just added to that love of Tennessee and the beautiful smokies that surround the site. I must admit we did also experience Dollywood and the Dixie Stampede Dinner and massively recommend those too....very commercial but huge amounts of fun!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bakersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was a first stay here for our family. We were running late coming in they called us to find out if we were OK! Wow that was a first. We arrived around midnight and they had everything ready to go for us on the porch. We we got up in the morning we were met by Chong who gave us a batch of wood
since we got in so late she thought we would like to have a morning fire. She told us everything about the area, gave us an information sheet to what we could see & do and not just Pigeon Forge. We stayed a few days there and when we were getting ready to leave (this was a first trip with our new trailer with a slideout) There were alot of leaves on our slideout and we didn't have a ladder to clean off the top. We asked a gentlemen (I am assuming it was Chong husband ) if we could borrow his ladder. He said sure walked it over to our trailer and began cleaning off our roof. Amazing since we are from California, people usually don't let you borrow equipment lest clean for you. These people went out of their way to make our first trip to Tennessee a great one. We will definitely be back. STAY HERE THE BEST PEOPLE -BEST PLACE TO STAY EVER! 1000 STARS TO YOU!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights during an unusual (for Spring Break) snowy cold snap. The owners were fantastic- kind and helpful in finding things to do the day we arrived to get outside to do some nearby short hikes before it got dark. Chong gave us an informative sheet with things to do, including what we could do inside the next day if the weather did not improve. The grounds are adorable, neat, and clean. The bathrooms and laundry room were spotless. My only complaint was that we quickly ran out of hot water in the showers. (Maybe because it was so cold and the people before us used it to warm up??). Other than that, a nice stay. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2013
Mansfield, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the first time in June 2012. We ended up coming down a day early and all we had to do was call ahead. We were arriving after 8pm and Chong assured us it was not a problem. We coudnt be happier with the accomodations. The campground is small and quaint as well as totally immaculate. Barry and Chong made sure that we were comfortable, even offering us free fire wood and ice. They were very knowledgable of the goings on in Gatlinburg and even advised us that if we wanted to save money we would stay on the hiking trails and off the strip in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville. Very good advice indeed. The trails in the park are phenomenal. If you go, Midnight Hole is a must see. Absolutely beautiful. All in all, Smoky Bear is hands-down the nicest campground I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. I have recommended it to everyone I know who camps (even to those who don't). I plan on staying here again the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The campground was very nice and a quick drive from Gatlinburg. The owners were awesome, offered us to join them for some live music and Thanksgiving dinner. There is a reason this place is rated five stars, we'll definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Me, my wife and 2 kids just spent 3 nights at this campground and we loved it. The owners are very kind and make you feel right at home. The sites are nice and clean as is the entire campground. We felt safe as well.

We were sent him by a neighboring campground who could not accommodate us and we could not be happier with how it all worked out. We will visit here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Glen Burnie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We just returned from staying at the Smoky Bear Campgrounds. We rented a cabin and checked in after a long hard day and drive. Mrs. Chong greeted us and we didn't intend on staying more than 1 night after our day. She also told us that since we were late she took it upon herself to make sure that our air conditioner was on and also made us a bed to sleep in with her own sheets. Soon after checking in we were blessed with a severe storm that took out the electric in many places in the foothills of Tennessee. At that point we didn't really do anything but watch and wait. While the storm was in it's full effect Mr. Barry was driving around in a golf cart in the intense lightning to check on the campers and cabin guests putting himself at risk but showing concern for his guests. The entire park is immaculate. It has a nice clean hot tub and pool to offer for recreation as well as a nice playground for the kids. There is a small store in case you need some essentials and also a bath house and washer and dryer. Everyone is very friendly. On our first night Mrs. Chong came down to our cabin after checkin and brought me a small Smoky Bear Bracelet and put it on my wrist saying "I want you to enjoy yourself and relax and make the best of this while you are here". Well we did. The next day we went White Water Rafting and came back since we decided to stay again. We would more than recommend this campsight to anyone that is wanting a relaxing and comfortable time while camping and on vacation. We needed a few things from the store so while we were on a walk I picked them out and remembered that I didn't have my wallet and was told to just go ahead and pay for it later. Basically they honored the trust of their guests. You don't see that often. There are hookup's for RV's in spots that are very well grounded too. The firepits were emptied and cleaned after each camper. Decorated very warmly with flowers and of course trees it looked beautiful. Definitely deserves more than 5 stars!

Room Tip: If you don't own a RV rent a cabin!