“poor management and poor upkeep dropped a five star review to a three star” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gatlinburg Falls Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Gatlinburg Falls Resort
You added Gatlinburg Falls Resort to your Saves list
1 Cheshire Court, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
elmira, ny
“poor management and poor upkeep dropped a five star review to a three star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed at 8 bdrm cabin, Mountain Mist from April 1-5, 2013. Some of our family arrived early but since the credit card holder had not arrived, they would not disclose the location of the cabin. (FYI: it's located on Pardon drive just off of Glades rd) This beautiful mansion was deceiving as we soon discovered all of it's flaws. The main TV screen was cracked all the way down, one of the hot tubs had NO water in it, the theater screen wouldn't play color, shower doors were off tracks, a light was hanging from one of the bedroom ceiling, one oven would turn off while the other was on, the dryer didn't work..... But what made this situation even worse was the poor customer service. I called four times and after being on hold for 10-20 min each time, I was disconnected. I finally dialed "0" and left a message. They called back 4hrs later to tell me someone would be by. The man they sent for the hot tub arrived the next day by hopping over the railings to get to the hot tub. He didn't speak English and after much hand signals, we were able to explain the problem. The third day, a couple of men came by to look at other problems. Apparently there was a fraternity that rented before us and evidence showed they shot up the cabin with pellet guns. These men took pictures and fixed the theater, but did not the replace the TV or fix any other problems. We never received an apology or a solution to any of our issues...
Now for the positive: The cabin definitely has star qualities. When walking in, the foyer opens to a big living room, dining room, kitchen combination. The furniture is comfortable, the decor is perfect for the mountain setting. The kitchen has two of every appliance. There is a master bdrm on main floor with a Jacuzzi tub. The downstairs has one small king bedroom sharing a bathroom with a double bedroom. It also has a double bedroom connecting (no door) to a queen size bunk bed room. The theater is down there also. It is very comfortable and has great sound and picture (after they fixed it), There is also a pool table and air hockey table, along with a fold out couch, and another half bathroom on lower level also. The upper level opens to an arcade room with a pinball machine, golf video game, and atari style multigame stand up machines. There is a WII with multiple games to play, a wet bar and a love seat and chair. There are 3 very large king bedrooms upstairs, each with fold out couches and large bathrooms. The showers have power jets, too. All bedrooms have cable flatscreen TVs with DVD systems. The two hot tubs are on the bottom level and on the third level, They are a nice size and work well. The only thing wrong with these are there are no steps to get into the tubs, so anyone short or with any disability wouldn't be able to get in. One literally must straddle the tub to get in. (it was waist high on me) The view was magnificent.
When we went to subway down the street, they told us that everyone has problems with Gatlinburg Falls Resort. If only the maintenance was better and customer service cared about the satisfaction of their customers, this would be a wonderful cabin! Unfortunately, our family will never rent from this agency again.

Room Tip: read every review before choosing a cabin
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GatlinburgCabins, Manager at Gatlinburg Falls Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. We apologize that your most recent stay with us was anything less than perfect. As Gatlinburg's number one luxury cabin company, our guest's experience is our priority. I would like to take the time to address the issues you mentioned.

For the sake of security and privacy purposes, we are unable to release any cabin information to anyone other than the reservation holder at the time of check in. We also require the remaining balance to be paid in full before access to the cabin is granted.
Regarding the television, we strive to correct any issues our guests may find, and we try to rectify any issues in a timely fashion. However some items unfortunately cannot be addressed as quickly as others we regret if these issues prevented you from enjoying your stay. The hot tub and home theatre requests that you had reported were both rectified for as soon as possible. We do wish that you had also reported the issues with the light hanging from the ceiling, the shower door that was off the track, the oven not working properly and the dryer not working. Had we known of these issues, we would have also been able to access them for you. Our guest care specialists would have been more than glad to put the requests in for you.
We apologize that you experienced any phone issues. We will investigate if there were any technical issues with our provider.

We want to thank you for your suggestions in improving the cabin, such as adding steps to the hot tub. We take pride in our cabins, as well as maintaining our relationships with our guests. We hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to show you that your recent experience is not our standard and to show you why we continue to be the leader of luxury cabins in the Great Smoky Mountains.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Gaines, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

When checked into Gatlinburg Falls we were given a number to call with any problems we had. The office was not open 24/7 but the phone system was and someone would be there to meet our needs. We arrived to our cabin to find no power to our hot tub. Called the number given to us at least eight times that night.

Here is the procedure we got with each call:
Press 3 if you are already a guest staying in our cabins...
You are the second in que...
Please do not hang up or choose another option which will delay us serving you....
You are the first in que..

After an average of 10 minutes on hold we were either disconnected or we got a recorded message. If we were lucky enough to reach the recording, we were prompted to leave a message and someone would call us back! Don't get too excited as my phone records will show I made 17 calls during our four night stay with no response.

The best results came when I personally went into the main lodge while we were still guests there. They were sorry for the phone problems and would send a maintenace man out . On the frist visit from their maintenance man, our second day, he flipped a switch and we were "good to go".

There would be no refund because they were able to fix the problem. Hot tub heated all day, however when we got into it and turned the jets on, it kept flipping the circuit breaker.
Back to phone calls because the office is closed...
Same unsucessful routine with their phone system....

The next morning we were back to the office, I insisted on seeing a manager and spoke with Jennifer, she was very sorry and definately had that "southern hospitality"! She personally would called maintenance herself to get them out there. After I reminded her they NEVER would have goten our business with no hot tub! She would call "Valley Spa" to come out and fix the tub, and refunded 10% of our stay. She assured us they would be there to fix it that day.

After being gone all day and ready to get into that hot tub we returned to discover that nothing had been done! Back to the phones...surprisingly I got someone for the first time. Valley Spa was called and out to our cabin after 7 pm. The man was there for well over an hour repairing several problems confirming our suspicion Gatlinburg Falls Resort knew the hot tub needed attention before we arrived. We waited for it to heat and enjoyed the tub. However we felt something was still wrong when we kept having to reset it with the switch on the wall.

Now we are on our last night there. Returned from an all day adventure ready to get into the hot tub only to discover the tub was not heating! Back to the phone circus, (I am persistent) This time I talked with Keri, another manager. She too was very friendly and very sorry. So sorry in fact that she would go ahead and refund another 10% if maintenance could not fix it that night. We told her this was our last night and we were done fighting with it. I shared with her that everyone was friendly but extremely ineffective with getting this problem resolved. I again reminded her we never would have booked a cabin with no hot tub! She sent another maintenance man out after 9pm, he confirmed that the tub was still broken! At 9:36 Keri called to confirm the tub was not repaired therefore she would refund our second 10%. She said she did not have the power to refund any more, but would talk with the other managers.

Now its check out time! I am back into the lodge asking to see the manager on duty. Her name was Erica. Confirmed with her tub was broken and asked about status of my requested 50% refund. Nope she felt $140 off a $938 bill was plenty of compensation. I asked her if she was over Keri and Jennifer, she said no, she was the same level manager. She told me there were only 3 managers and they answered to Jessica Hance, (I havent had the privelage of reaching her yet, inspite of my persistance). Interesting that Erica had the power to deny further compensation but the others didn't have the power to approve it, also interesting was the lack of "friendliness" she showed now that we were checking out. She did however agree that we would not be charged the $30 cleaning fee for the tub!

Now I am home and discovered the cleaning fee was not refunded. Back to the phone system:)
This morning I was given the pleasure of talking with "Grace" a different manager, I figure she was promoted today because she was not mentioned as a manager yesterday and she lacks the "people skills" even Erica showed! Nope there would be no refund of the cleaning fee as promised. Nope she was not over the other managers, but was part of the management team. Yes Jessica Hance would have the final say.

Long story short, if you visit Gatlinburg Falls Resort and don't have a major maintenace problem you will love it! The view was beautiful, the cabin was clean! If you have any major issues don't expect any real results. A company this large should have no problem with a properly functioning phone system as well as properly functioning maintenace. There were plenty of other cabins we would have gladly moved into for the hot tub but that was not an option! We will return to the area, but will not stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Clayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Visited here with my two children and two of their friends and a friend with 4 kids as well - a total of 2 adults and 8 kids. The kids were all teenagers with 75% being female, the beds and baths were utilized a lot. check in was fine but through out the visit noticed that only one customer service representative was present each time - all to check in, book reservations and handle those who were staying there questions. The place was clean and everything worked with the exception of the movie projector but it was corrected the same day we called to get fixed. Calling customer service usually meant being on hold for about 10 minutes each time since only one person was on duty. The amount of toilet paper and soap was pathetic. I slept on one of the hide a beds and also a mattress on a bunk bed - both were horrible, feeling the springs or slats each one.

We did enjoy the place as a whole, with the all the games (pool table, golden tee, etc) movie room, hot tub, cable and wifi. The location was great as we could miss a lot of the traffic going to grocery store or Pigeon Forge.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We planned a quick 2 night, 3 day, Spring break vacation at Gatlinburg Falls. I should had run when my first contact with Gatinlburg Falls resulted in a 24 minute wait on the phone to make a reservation. The website listed WiFI at the Bearskin lodge, but I called to make the reservation instead of booking online just to make sure the WiFi worked because I had important online meetings that I had to lead while taking my family on this short Spring break trip. I was assured by the lady taking my reservation that this cabin had working WiFi.

Well when we arrived, I immediately check out the WiFi because I had a west coast meeting later that afternoon. Surprise - No Internet Connection. I received an AT&T prompt asking me for an ID and password. So I call the customer service (not!). An automated voice informed me that I was the 6th person in queue. After 35 minutes of listening to the recorded message telling me how import my call is and how someone will be with me in a few minutes, a real person answered the phone and said they were experiencing an extremely high call volume and that someone will call me back. I told the guy that answered the phone that all I needed was the ID and PW and explained that I had to be online for a meeting that afternoon and he said, sorry but they would have to call me back and hung up. I ended up having to leave my family to drive into town and sit in a local hotel lobby to conduct my meeting with tons of background noise.

On the way back to the cabin, I called the customer service number and waiting another 24 minutes on hold only to be told that they would send a tech person out to fix the Internet issues. I explained to them that it was not a technical issue that all I needed was the ID and password but they were unable to give it to me. They also could not guarantee me that the tech would be there that night and of course he was not. I told them that I wanted to be transferred to another cabin with Internet connection and a refund for that night. They told me they would have a manager call me back. No-one called back.

I tried calling several more times - more long holds - more disconnections - more your are important but, we are to busy to talk to you right now, someone will call you back. Finally Jennifer called back at 9:52 PM and said that I could use the WiFi in another cabin and she gave me the code. I asked her to just move us to that cabin even though it was about half the size of our current one and she said that she would have to charge another cleaning fee. I told her how dirty the current cabin is and that we should get a refund on the cleaning fee anyway and that we wanted to move. She refused to move us because someone was supposedly checking into that cabin the next day (which never happened), but promised the WiFi would be fixed in the morning. It was not fixed and no-one even showed up to attempt to fix it during our entire stay. I told Jenifer I expected a refund and she said I would need to talk to a manager even though she said she was the manager when she first called. I successfully used the WiFi at the other cabin. Unfortunately I had to be away from my family for hours at a time in this other cabin.

On Thursday we had fun at many activities in the area. When we got back to the cabin there was still no Internet. Once again I called and was put on hold and disconnected several times. While I was holding I drove to another cabin and poached their Internet connection while sitting my car just outside this other cabin. Yes, that is a very awkward situation, but I had to lead another West coast meeting with some very important new clients. Luckily the Gatlinburg Falls rep answered the phone (after a 28 minute hold), when I had a break between meetings. Once again I was told they were experiencing very high call volume and that someone would call me back. I told them no, that I wanted to talk to a manager now. They told me that a manager was not available, but that someone would call me back. Over 3 hours later I receive a call from Carrie. I explained the entire situation and my level of frustration again and she told me to hold while she read the file notes. When she returned she was very very rude and started to tell me how they can't guarantee 100% up-time on Internet and they cannot control its availability. I explained to her that the problem was not technical and all they needed to do was provide me with the ID and password to access the Internet and that her people could not give that to me and that they had promised to send a tech out to get the connection working. I told her that they had not made the first attempt to solve this problem. Carrie then lectured me again. She said that if Internet was that important to me that I should have a cellular Internet card and should not rely on someone else providing Internet (this is customer service?). I told her that I wanted a refund again and she finally offered to move us to another cabin. This was our last night and it was 9:30 PM and my daughter was already asleep. I told her that would have been a nice gesture when we first arrived and requested to be moved, but it was a ridiculous offer at this point when were leaving early the next morning.

Gatlinburg Falls customer service absolutely ruined this vacation for me and had a negative impact for my family. I tried to shield the impact of me having to be away because of the Internet issues. You know that it has had an impact when your daughter is grabbing your arm and saying "Daddy please don't go".

These cabins are big and the view is nice, but they are not is great shape. They are dirty and half the games machines they gloat about were broken. The customer service is the worst I have experienced anywhere by far. Read the other reviews. Poor customer service is a common theme even on the positive reviews.

Don't jeopardize your precious vacations with this company.

Rocklin, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Ruined our family spring break with extremely poor customer service. Extremely rude and unfriendly management. Broken beds, poor spring mattresses, broken dryer.
Definitely did not get anything close to what we paid for.
Avoid.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

This was my ninth stay at Gatlinburg falls. I have always liked staying there even though its very expensive. We have customer service issues over the years, I guess just came to expect it. We always heard "we will put in a work order" but we still love coming here. It is really showing wear after all these years, you can always find something that wasn't cleaned. It would be nice to get a bigger discount besides 10% discount for being a return customer or referring people there. It's still a nice place to stay but our time has come to try something different.

• Stayed March 2013
Jasper, Alabama, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The customer service is very poor. I made reservations, my home was destroyed in a storm, so I canceled the reservations, then decided I wanted to keep the reservations, called back and they said the cabin had not been rented yet and I told them not to cancel my reservations and they said they wouldn't. Well, they canceled my reservations and a manager was supposed to be calling me. Never received the call......Still waiting.....Needless to say, I won't ever use them again. Will go with another cabin company and will let all friends/family know about this. They didn't stop my family from going on our trip. We still went and had a wonderful time, no thanks to Gatlinburg Falls Resort!! LOL

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GatlinburgCabins, Manager at Gatlinburg Falls Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. First, allow me to apologize for your experience with Gatlinburg Falls Resort. We strive to provide the best experience possible for our guests. We are very sorry about the misunderstanding with your reservation. I'm glad that we got to talk. We are excited that we have been able to make you a happy customer. Once again sorry for any misunderstanding. We hope to see you in the future.

Been to Gatlinburg Falls Resort? Share your experiences!