“It's Like Going Home” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 88 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Saucier, MS
“It's Like Going Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family has stayed at Johnson's Inn in Gatlinburg since I was a little girl. I have great memories of swimming in the old pool and staying in various rooms through the hotel throughout the years. My husband and I and our two grandsons stayed there for four nights. Although we had a few problems with the toilet, the room was comfortable. This particular room wasn't the newest or fanciest in town, but we slept well. My favorite time was sitting by the creek -- like I and my family has done for years. We enjoy sitting and relaxing and watching people walk to town!

Room Tip: The rooms up in the newer part -- over 25 years old -- are nice. I prefer the ones closer to the off...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Winston Salem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at Johnson's Inn July 4th weekend. It is clean and the staff and housekeeping were excellent. I spent hours sitting out front and looking at mountains and relaxing. Close enough to walk downtown yet very quiet. We have stayed many times

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
bolingbrook, il
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

clean hotel, a block from the main street. Hotel is dated. The staff was friendly. Creek view by the front of the hotel but did have a view of the mountains. Bed a bit lumpy. Laundry room on premises. Quiet

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I wanted a hotel in downtown Gatlinburg that was reasonably priced (we paid $79/night + tax), clean, had wifi and off the Parkway but close enough to walk to everything. I didn't plan on being in the hotel room much during the day. I just wanted a simple room to relax in at night. Johnson's Inn seemed an ideal candidate so I booked June 21-24th.

The room we were assigned was not in the Johnson's Inn proper, but in the Mountain View Inn Condominiums across the street. It is a 4 story older hotel. Our room was a typical 2 queen bed hotel room. It had a table, 2 chairs, an old TV in a cabinet, a night stand, a dresser and a mini fridge. I don't know if Johnson's Inn has purchased Mountain View or what the relationship is. The room we had looks nothing like the rooms pictured on Trip Advisor for Mountain View Inn.

Pros & Cons:

1) The location is 5 stars. You can easily walk to anywhere in downtown Gatlinburg from Johnson's Inn. It is just off the Parkway, so it is quiet.

2) The price. At $79 during summer travel, that's a fair price.

3) Wifi. I made 2 calls to Johnson's Inn to verify that there was in-room wifi. I explained that wifi was VERY important and a must for our family. Both people I spoke with assured me they had ample wifi. Wifi was very unreliable and sometimes nonexistent. If you are planning on bringing a tablet or laptop to find showtimes, look up things to do, etc. you WILL be disappointed. My son called it "potato wifi". We used Speedtest.net to check the speed. The results ranged anywhere from 0.86 to 1.48 download speed. 0.86 download speed is useless. 1.48 is just barely functional. On top of the speed issue - the wifi would disconnect randomly when you were able to get it to work. There were a couple of other hotels with open wifi nearby, but they didn't have a strong enough signal to work much better.

4) Service. We had out the "Do no disturb" sign and didn't take advantage of maid service. I did however, run into the cleaning lady in the hall and she was very friendly and gladly supplied clean towels. On our first night I went to the office to pick up a couple of towels (to block the big gap between the balcony door and the floor due to the wasps on the balcony) and inquired about the wifi availability. I explained the problems we were having and wanted to know if this was common. She said, no there were no problems with the wifi. I asked if we could move to a different location that might be closer to the wifi signal. She said where we were (4th floor) was the best place. She suggested coming to the office to use the wifi. I explained that it probably wasn't a good idea for me to send my son down to play games in the lobby. Did she have any other suggestions? She said have him play on the balcony. I don't think the other guests would have liked hearing a kids playing video games on the balcony for one, but I kept that to myself. I told her that my real concern with that plan was there was a wasp nest on the balcony. She just shrugged her shoulders and returned to what she was doing.

5) Maintenance could be better. As I said, there was an active wasp nest on our balcony. I wonder if this will be taken care of now that I reported it. There was a wall outlet without any cover (just the receptacle inside the outlet box). There was mildew above the shower. Weather stripping missing around both front and back door. Plenty of room for light & bugs to come in.

Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My family has been staying at the Johnson's Inn for the past 5 years; this may have been our last year staying here. 1st off, we called the night before arrival to request hair dryer & iron but neither in room at check-in. Called front desk to ask again; I was only able to get hair dryer and never received the iron at all. Front desk clerk at check-in was not friendly and almost seemed put off when I tried to make pleasant conversation. The door to the private balcony did not close completely so every time opened the front door, it would fly open (or if the wind blew) unless had deadbolt locked; even then a small space between door and frame allowed bugs to fly & crawl in; found 2 dead bugs near the TV. Also found ant & spider in the bathroom. Maid service was not great either - no replacement cups, one night no hand-towels, and crumbs on floor. Good part was new A/C unit; works great and much quieter than last year! Pool was clean too. The rates are reasonable and location perfect. Overall, disappointed & will probably stay somewhere else next year.

Room Tip: If you can spend more, book a condo unit. They were updated in the last 2 years and still appear t...
Maineville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed at Johnson's Inn June 12th through June 15th. As always, we enjoyed our stay very much. We always appreciate the wonderful hospitality and the fact that our room is always clean. We stayed in room 114 and it was great. It looked like the carpet was newer and the mattresses were in fantastic shape! Housekeeping was always pleasant....one day we were in our room and told her we only needed the trash emptied, but she was more than willing to offer more towels, even though we had plenty. The next day, we were getting ready for the day and the lady from housekeeping said she would come back a bit later....we came back to fresh towels, bed made and trash emptied. This may not be the most modern hotel, but they are friendly and helpful...and ALWAYS clean! This is about the 4th year we have stayed and Johnson's Inn and we will be staying for many years to come!!!

Room Tip: We prefer our room to be in the original 2-story building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Macon,MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We are the Cox family from Macon,MS, and we love Johnson's Inn and the Mountain Village Condos. We have stayed more times than I can count, and every stay was great! I have been staying here since I was a child. This is is the next best thing to home! We were in the condo for several days last week. We will be soon making reservations for our Thanksgiving visit! I get outdone when I see any negative comments made about our favorite place to stay! I think that there are some people that can't be pleased with anything!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Johnson's Inn? Share your experiences!