“A brewpub in an Alpine chalet” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 174 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
London, United Kingdom
“A brewpub in an Alpine chalet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Smoky Mountain Brewery has four east Tennessee locations. The first branch to open was in Gatlinburg, in quite a distinctive building. It's an Alpine chalet-style structure in a little enclave off the main drag of souvenir shops, entered through a gate warning that you'll need a receipt to get out at the other end. We had the receipt ready when we left (via a huge car park in a forested area at the back) but didn't need it as it was out of season. Inside the chalet, there's the brewery and kitchen downstairs and a huge light and airy room upstairs where all the pillars are covered in bank notes. We had a hearty lunch and a sampler of beers, all which were a bit sweet. Nevertheless it was a pleasant stop.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Memphis, Tennessee
“Didn't Even Sit Down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Arrived at the restaurant around 9 on a Tuesday evening. Told 10-15 minutes wait to be seated (even though downstairs was empty, maybe for some unknown reason). While sitting to wait we were looking over at where to the food comes out. The man who appeared to be running expo and also appeared to be the manager did something disturbing. While standing where the food comes up and waits to be taken by the runner or waiter, the expo person was taking chips off someone's plate and eating them in plain view. Sorry I'm not sorry but that just seems unsanitary and not necessary to me. He also took his hand several times and wiped his face without cleaning his hands after. It's one thing for a chef to taste the food in a sanitary manner, but for the expo or manager to take some food off a persons plate and chow down is a no no in my book.

So we got up and left. Maybe My girlfriend and I were mistaken by what we saw, but clearly it was not an appetizing site. So I gave it 2/5 just to give him the benefit of the doubt. Knew I should have talked to the manager but we were both hungry and didn't want to waste our time.

Clayton, North Carolina
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

This place was pretty awesome! Staff was very friendly, and took us right on up to the second floor to be seated even though they were super busy. Food came quick, was cooked to perfection and was delicious! Will go again!

Visited March 2014
Lynn Haven, Florida
“Excellent Food and Great Atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

7 of us stopped in during the week of Thanksgiving. All of us enjoyed our food! My hubby and I had a pepperoni pizza and hamburger .... both were delicious! My son loved his kids meal but especially loved the Mac n cheese! It was similar to a baked macaroni. My parents and in laws enjoyed their meals too. My dad tried a few different beers. My mom ordered from the gluten free menu and she was very happy with it! The place was clean and the service was great! Will be back next time we visit Gatlinburg!

Lake Charles, Louisiana
“Fun place on a Friday night.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I'll first warn you that we stopped here after skiing so we would have eaten a boot if it was placed in front of us. That said, this was still a good place to grab a bite to eat. They had live music on a Friday night, decent selection of home made beer, and plenty to choose from the menu. We had burgers and they were a bit greasy and sloppy but this is also somewhat of a bar, with better than average bad food. Their pizzas looked amazing, but I can't say much about their entrees. Service was very friendly and quick for being so busy. Prices were average too, Gatlinburg can surprise you from time to time when it isn't overpriced.

• Visited February 2014