“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #17 of 86 hotels in Gatlinburg
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

For a 2-star hotel, this place is better than I expected. The location is great - central Gatlinburg, easy walking distance to tons of restaurants, the Sky Lift, Ole Smoky Moonshine, and lots of other attractions. Plus parking is free (for 1 car). Their breakfast selection is limited and 100% carbs - toast, waffles, instant oatmeal, and weird-tasting donuts, plus coffee/tea/juice. With all the pancake houses in town, you've got to go out to breakfast at least one morning anyway!

Our room had 2 queen beds, one of which was comfortable and one that felt like a sack of springs. Luckily we were just 2 travelers sharing a bed. When we arrived, 2 of the 3 lights in the room had burned out bulbs. The front desk replaced those for us quickly. The staff overall were pleasant and helpful. The room was relatively clean, except for a swarm of fruit flies that seemed to be living in the sink. I liked that the room had a sink inside the bathroom as well as outside - made it easier for 2 people to get ready in the morning. The bathtub has jets and I guess you can use it as a whirlpool. I didn't try that. The tub has a sort of seat-thing in in that sticks out from the wall and impedes your movement while showering. The only other problem we had with the room was a lack of electrical outlets for our personal electronic devices. There isn't even an outlet next to the table where one would presumably use a laptop. The hotel does provide free wifi with decent speeds.

So overall, if you go in with low expectations, you might be pleasantly surprised! The rates were affordable for traveling at the peak of leaf season. But if we went back to Gatlinburg again, I might try to stay somewhere with a higher star level.

Room Tip: 4th floor has some limited mountain views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Pamela g, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you for the review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you next time you are in Gatlinburg!

178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is a hidden treasure of Gatlinburg! They have prices as low as 59 dollars, and everything is within walking distance. I highly recommend going to the space needle, which is right next to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for all your kind words and taking the time to write them. We are looking forward to a return visit from you.
Miamisburg, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We Stayed at the Econo lodge in Gatlinburg for 3 nights..Oct,24th 25th and 26th 2013... The best thing about our experience was the location.. Literally 100 steps to the Strip.. We had Room 229.. Which was on the second floor of the so called Tower..Right above a Parking area.. so with this every time a car pulled in it was rumbling under our feet..Kinda funny.. The washer/Linen must of been on the other side of the Head wall .. It would run every evening..Bang Bang Bang.. My Daughter who is slightly Handicapped and does not walk stairs without assistance Had to walk up and down Daily because every day the Elevator company was there working and fixing the Broken elevator..In addition the Room Next to us the walls were thin and the two older Gentlemen who had that rented on Thurs and Friday Night Must of been either Hard of hearing or just like to talk loud..Their TV was Screaming at 11pm at night..I think I know them Personally now..They must eat a lot of Bran..I Killed 1 Roach...On the ceiling..For real.. We Did not See anymore..The Room was not really Dated. The Beds Were Ok. I am not hard to please with a room..But I think maybe a different room there would have maybe been a Different experience..1-to-10 I give it a 4.5 The Carpet seemed Clean the beds seemed clean,our towels were changed once and trash emptied once. No beds made Etc....Its Location is the only savior...

Room Tip: In our experience try any other room but #229.. Only rent this room if its a last resort..Ask for a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Our guest and their stay is most important to us. We will use your comments to help in providing superior service to each guest. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with this service.
Nashville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights. The staff at check in and check out were very friendly and helpful.

The rooms are definitely a little outdated, and could use a deep clean. However with that in mind, the rooms did not feel dirty at all. There was a small fridge and microwave in the room which was nice. The bathrooms are a little small, but served their purpose.

The hotel is just off the main strip, so it is very convenient to everything Gatlinburg has to offer. Be sure to bring a GPS, there are some roads off this hotel that you can take and bypass all of the traffic on the strip.

My only gripe was that the hotel didn't feel like a $100 a night hotel. We were there on a Friday and Saturday during fall break, so of course rooms were at a premium. I checked to see what the room rate was for Sunday night and it was under $60.

Overall, I would stay at this property again if the price was right.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Pamela g, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Lexington, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Pam greeted me warmly when I checked in to the hotel and made me feel like a valued customer. The Econo is located a very short walking distance from the main strip. I was given a King suite on the ground floor that was first class all the way. Every amenity that you expect in the big dog hotel chains. I brought my dog and there is a nice grassy area on the side for walking, and you see many people walking their dogs downtown. The rocking chairs outside the rooms is cozy . I will definitely stay at this Econo Lodge again.

Room Tip: I was in room 106 ground floor by the pool. This was the best area in my opinion. There is no fitnes...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Pamela g, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! I have shared your review with the staff and we are all looking forward to a return visit from you. We work very hard each day to ensure every guest enjoys their stay. All your kind words in this review makes all that hard work worth it. Thank you for this review and we hope to see you again very soon!
Middle Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I went to Gatlinburg for a one day trip on October 17-18 and stayed here in Room 217. I will agree that the hotel could use some additional cleaning and updating and the housekeeping for our bathroom was somewhat lacking, however for the price, it was not a bad place to stay. I had no black soles on my white athletic socks, the lcd tv was nice (while it worked - the remote died the morning we were leaving), the refrigerator was cold, the air conditioning was cold, and the beds were very good. Do not stay here if you are expecting the Ritz or do not like the sounds of barking dogs during the day and early evening (they allow pets) but otherwise it was ok and we may stay here again. Breakfast was ok for a discount establishment. It included make your own waffles, decent coffee, cereal (corn flakes and fruit loops), Krispy Kreme donuts, juice, and bread for toast. The breakfast area was clean. The staff at the front desk were very friendly.

Room Tip: We requested a room in the main building where the office was but got a room in the annex across the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We are happy that you chose to spend your one night in Gatlinburg with us. The staff works very hard each day to ensure that each and every guest has a pleasant stay. I have already spoke with the staff about the issue you expressed. I do apologize for the noise you experienced during your stay. We hope you will give us another try when you return to the Great Smoky Mountains. Thank you for the review and hope to see you again!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Great location, close the center of Gatlinburg Strip. However rooms were dirty and had worn furnishings. Mildew on shower curtain & tub and had dirty carpets & insects. Stayed three nights and had to go and get clean towels each day. Also, had no pickup of dirty towels. Housekeeping had the nerve to solicit a tips for the dirty place. Price was fair. Owners appear to be pocketing profits while low prices keep nearly full units occupied, by cost conscious, unsuspecting families.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
We will review each of your comments to ensure our guest receive superior service. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!