“Wonderful, Peaceful Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Buckberry Creek

You added The Lodge at Buckberry Creek to your Saves list
The Lodge at Buckberry Creek
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   961 Campbell Lead Road, PO Box 410, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Announcement
12 Days of Buckberry
Ranked #1 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
New York City, New York
“Wonderful, Peaceful Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

What a wonderful night at the lodge at buck berry creek - wish I could've stayed for longer, but will definitely be returning on my next trip to the Gatlinburg area. Great to be away from the chaos of Pigeon Forge, even with a trip up a winding mountain road. Serene and quiet, such a special place - highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

We have had a hard time finding a nice in place to stay in Gatlinburg. With the Lodge at Buckberry Creek, problem solved! This is truly a 4 diamond resort. From the warm greeting upon check in to the spacious and beautifully decorated rooms, this place is amazing. Our room was incredibly decorated and extremely large! We basically had a full kitchen - stove, microwave, and full sized fridge. There was a sitting area and an amazing bathroom -- with a large shower and large jacuzzi tub. If you can drag yourself out of the room, the pavilion area by the creek is a must see- even the "outhouses" have chandeliers. The main lodge is also great -- comfy seating, full bar, friendly staff, and a giant moose head over the fireplace. We also ate at the restaurant which rivaled some of the best restaurants in Asheville, NC. They have an excellent chef! I am ready to book my next trip. It was a wonderful experience!

• Stayed June 2012
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

This is my 2nd review of this place and sadly I felt things have changed but not in a positive way. The setting still remains beautiful,rooms nice and the staff pleasant enough ( particular thanks to the manager and her husband who organized a really fun Easter Egg hunt for the kids).

The thing that disappointed however, was the restaurant. They are clearly suffering some problems here and if not recified will spoil the reputation of this otherwise great place. On our first night we waited almost 45 minutes for our food, with little apology or acknowledgement of this. The food itself was mediocre and the pork I had, fatty and carelessly prepared. When we got the bill we found that we had been charged an additional fee for splitting a plate between our 2 young children. When we pointed out that 2 separate kids meals would have cost us less that the plate we ordered and shared they removed the charge. Bit shabby!
Breakfast was then another annoyance. On check in we had been told about the continental breakfast being included. On arrival in the restaurant we saw a small table with some tea and coffee and some sorry looking cereal and assumed this must be the offering refered to.
We were seated and shown the menus, with no word about the fact the actual included breakfast was some fruit and pastries which they would bring out if you had that option. It was only after we had ordered al a carte, and had a peer at some of the other tables that we worked that out. Never mind, the pancakes were on their way, so we just decided not to worry. When the food arrived, one set was fine, and my husbands plate totally drenched in powdered sugar. As soon as you put a fork to it, you discovered why. The pancakes were totally burnt. What was especially galling about this was the pathetic attempt to cover it up with sugar and serve it. It demonstrates a huge disrespect for the customer and is inexcusable. It was taken away and replaced when we challenged it, again with scant apology, and it was not taken off the bill either!
I truly loved this place 2 years ago, but the kitchen and front of house must be improved or it will drag it down. A real shame.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Northamptonshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I decided to spend a one night weekend in the Smokey Mountains. We wanted a hotel that complimented the surrounding area, the traditional log cabin with rustic decor with quality hotel pampering rather than the regular roadside operation for which I have absolutely no critiscm, just not appropriate for this visit.
This hotel is the only one I could find in the entire area that suited our requirements, we did not want to go self catering.
We arrived at 1pm on Friday having driven 4 hours from Nashville to be told our room would not be available until 4pm. This welcome - and I experience it frequently drives me mad - if the room attendants begin cleaning rooms at say 9.00 am and they do because I saw them, are there really no rooms available until 4.00pm or had all the other arrivals done so before me at 1pm.
Anyway the reception and lounge were as the website photos,quite delightful and authentic, we were given a tour of the public areas the view from the surrounding balcony was spectacular over the hills and trees. We were then taken to the front door of the reception building and pointed towards building number 5 just up the hill 200 yards. This hotel comprises 5 buildings with 8 or 10 rooms in each building. We struggled to find our room because the number had been removed from the outer lobby door so we kept walking past it, it would have been nicer had we been escorted.
We had reserved a suite with lounge and balcony this also included a kitchen area. It was lovely all other write ups are accurate so very comfortable, two issues theTV was in the bedroom and not the lounge and our balcony had NO VIEW. The forest was 50 metres away and the trees higher than our room it was horrible and dark. I didn't bother it was only for one night and we were going out for dinner so we weren't going to spend long in the room but had I known I would not have spent the extra for the suite. So watch out if you are allocated building 5.
We decided to take advantage of the view in the main building by having dinner at the hotel on the balcony. The setting was superb, the service very good the wine excellent Nobilo Sav Bl,NZ. The food also was good the delicious bread, the amouse bouche, a little small, Why on earth did I chose Grouper in the middle of Tennessee it was not totally fresh then why was it on the menu? But overall we had a very enjoyable dinner at a leisurely pace which was just right for us both.
We went to bed and the nightmare began the tramping around from the guests above and when they released water from their bathroom it was like we had a waterfall in our room, my wife got up to check for leaks. We woke looking forward to a hearty breakfast, we arrived at the breakfast room the same as the dining room without cloths and had to walk through all the tables to the greeter and seater at the back of the room very odd, the welcome was not enthusiastic by US standards. We sat again on the terrace to take advantage of the view that we had missed in our room.
Breakfast was unpleasant we were offerd 3 options, the standard continental, the full menu from which we could order for an additional $12 and the buffet. The buffet was self service tea or coffee and 2 cereals for which we opted along with the continental. A main course plate was delivered with a Danish pastry, a muffin, a small pot of yoghurt, a very very thin half slice of melon and pineapple and a one inch triangle of cheese, it was awful and disappointing the first hotel breakfast I have ever experienced without juice. I would not have selected any of the items offered had I had a choice. For the price we paid for the room I would have expected a full choice American breakfast to be included.
We then checked out and went on our way. This hotel is half way between a hotel and self catering the kitchen in the rooms is very well equipped and I guess this is the option other longer stay guests take though this is not reflected in the room price. Total price one night dinner, B & B May 12 $390 for 2 people
Next time we will probably go self catering.

Room Tip: High floor may be above trees, keep away from building 5.
Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I'm from Chicago and love traveling to Gatlinburg. I was very impressed staying three nights over Memorial Day weekend at Lodge at Buckberry Creek. We enjoyed an amazing dinner there and I especially loved the spiced salad. I'm surprised at some comments about the continential breakfast. The dining room had coffee, yogurt and cereal. However, if you mention the continential breakfast to the waiter/waitress, he/she will also bring you fresh fruit and rolls. You can also order off the breakfast menu and I loved the vegetable frittata and their homemade grits! The dinner and breakfast were both delicious. Our room was perfect and we had a beautiful view of the mountains from our deck (I suggest requesting a mountain review when making reservations since some rooms on the lower level may not have the same views). There were fresh cookies brought in the room every morning and everything was cleaned top notch and perfect (and I'm very very picky). Bottled water and cream were in the refrig. Everything was provided and some special extra touches to make your visit special. We had a fireplace, dishwasher, full size refrig, and comfortable sofa and chairs. I loved staying here and already miss it. I loved the rustic decor in our room and throughout the lodge and the seating areas are beautiful! This place certainly met my high expectations and I would love to stay here again. It has all the mountain and rustic charm along with first class touches to make you pampered and your vacation a perfect escape.

Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

My wife and I are from the Knoxville area and stay in Gatlinburg twice a year (Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend). We typically stay at different places just to have different experiences. This year we decided on the Lodge at Buckberry Creek for a long weekend Anniversary stay. For Gatlinburg, this is pricey...so I had fairly high expectations. Here's my thoughts:

The Good -
* Location is very good to get most anywhere. Once you know the back roads...it's very easy to be into Downtown Gatlinburg...from either end of the "strip", and easy to head into the mountains for a hike.
* The setting is nice and the Lodge is what I would have expected...nice, clean, with decor appropriate for this area. In the main Lodge you have a sitting area to just hang out...and in the next room a dining area...as well as dining on an outdoor deck with stunning mountain views. Overall, the Lodge is nice and cozy.
* There appear to be 3 separate building complexes. Ours was on the lower part of the property...and on the bottom floor (road level)...however, the back deck in probably 30 feet off the ground. This building seems to be the most secluded...as looking out our windows we are surrounded by the tops of trees. Frankly...we enjoyed the cozy feel and didn't mind not having any view of the mountains. However, I suggest you make reservations via phone and explain what kind of view you prefer.
* Our room had a living area with sleeper sofa, table and chair...as well as a fireplace. In addition, we had a kitchen area which was very nice. it was very clean and the decor was very fitting for the mountains. We had a king size bed, with whirlpool tub in the bathroom. I don't think any of it was overwhelming...but all was appropriate based on my expectations.
* The Pavilion area is very unique and impressive. It's an area sitting below the lodge, along the creek where you can simply relax or just hang out in a beautiful area. You can walk down the 1/2 mile trail (avoid if you are non-athletic) or you can have the Blackberry Lodge bus (it's more like an Army truck) take you down (and bring you back). This is unique to any other place we've stayed in Gatlinburg. If you go in the summer...take some bug spray. This would be wonderful in the early spring or late fall as there are fire pits and a fire place to snuggle around.

The Bad-
* Our room has a door going out to the back deck...as well as a door that goes out to the adjoining room's deck. This would be great if other friends were staying next door...and if fine on the surface. However, there is a shade on the door (you can see through it) and if the neighbor is on their small deck...they can look in at us sitting in the living room...and even see into the bedroom. This could be easily fixed with a solid blind on that door. We did not like that.
* The living room doesn't have a TV in it. The only TV is in the bedroom. This isn't a huge deal...but we felt it was strange.
* The TV in the bedroom is the old style (non-flat screen). Again...this isn't a huge deal...but even the mid-level hotels have converted to flat screens...and I expected a little better for higher priced accomodations. I will say that the wireless internet did work flawlessly.
* They offer a Continental Breakfast free...but it's not much. Cereal, yogurt and coffee. You can order off a menu...which it seems what they would prefer you do with such a meager free offering. Again...not such a huge deal...but for the price you pay...seems a bit chincy.

Other -
* We didn't eat dinner on the premises...so not sure about that.
* Others have complained about noise. I can't say it bothered us much. We have a two story house with kids...so noise above us is the norm. We were on the bottom floor...so you can hear muted footsteps...but to say it was loud seem like an overstatement. We brought a "noise maker" with us...so we slept to the sound of crickets :)
* All in all...we may come back...but will probably do it when it's cooler (highs in the 60's) so we can enjoy the pavilion area more. We weren't blown away...but not disappointed either.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We can't understand the poor reviews of the hotel as we thought it almost perfect. The public rooms are great - very rustic and in keeping with the setting and with wonderful views. Our room was great - full of rustic charm with wooden furniture, an open log fire (with logs provided and encouragement to have a fire), great bed, lovely seating area, and great views from the balcony. The continental breakfast included in the price was first rate - very nice food and lots of it. If we had one minor complaint, it was that there was a conference or meeting being held and, because of that, we could not eat out or have a drink on the balcony of the hotel. To top it all, this was all provided at a very reasonable rate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lodge at Buckberry Creek? Share your experiences!