“Good for the buck.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel
You added Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel to your Saves list
421 Laurel Road West, P.O. Box 728, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Jenkins
“Good for the buck.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

It is a little bit country/backwoods, but, so worth the price. We got a room that was the size of an apartment. It had two bedrooms with a livingroom/kitchen and a fireplace. It was a full kitchen and there was plenty of moving around room. It is close to downtown Gatlinburg, so it is esay access to fun!
The price is below what you would pay for most motels/hotels in the area. It is worth trying.

Room Tip: Choose the apartment size/full kitchen rooms, they are much better than the average, double bedded r...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Knoxville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

If you want to feel like you are in the mountains then Carr's is a good choice. You are off the road and somewhat secluded. There is a stream that runs thru the property and a covered bridge that crosses the creek. If you are looking for a place that is family friendly this is your place. If you are looking for 5 star luxury, go elsewhere, but if you are looking for a quiet, restful place, Carr's is a good fit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband spent the weekend here at Carrs. The price was affordable for our budget. Our cottage was very clean and comfortable. we had great service they were helpful and courteous. We will stay here again and highly recommend the stay here.

• Stayed November 2013
Anderson, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

So we took a spontaneous trip to Gatlinburg this past weekend to look at the leaves, and luckily we found Carr's. Carr's is not located on the main strip but not a far walk from it, about 3 blocks. Which was fine with me. Now this is by no means a brand new place but again that's fine with me, our room was very clean, older but I liked it. For the price you can't beat it. We had a small kitchenette, a porch with a table , right by the stream, comfortable bed, and decent size bathroom. There was also a charcoal grill right by the porch outside of our room. The service checking in and out was great. Very nice people. My only negative to our stay at Carr's was our neighbors in the complex beside us, but Carr's couldn't help that and you will have noisy neighbors about anywhere. They have great prices on their rooms, they have a lot to choose from, cabins, apartment type rooms, regular hotel type rooms...we will defiantly stay here again! Thank you Carr's for a great stay!!

• Stayed November 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had the chance to get away for a long weekend get-away. I haven't been to Gatlinburg in 7 years, but knew as soon as I was asked to plan a get-away, I would want to stay again with Carr's Northside Cottages. We reserved Chalet #701..it had 2 queen size rooms, 2 full bathrooms, a nice size living space with fireplace, inside jacuzzi and 3 decks with table and chairs. We only booked for Friday and Saturday night, but had the chance to stay 1 additional night (which got for 1/2 off the nightly rate). The staff at Carr's couldn't have been more professional and helpful. The Chalet was easy to find and kept very clean, and we had plenty of towels and firewood! I would recommend Carr's Northside Cottages to anyone looking for a nice place at a reasonable price in Gatlinburg!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I will be objective and fair in this review; my goal is not to be critical, but to give TA readers truthful insight into my experience at Carr’s Northside. Please keep reading, as I will start with the positives, and then address the not-so-positives.

Like many other travelers, I devoured the TA reviews about Carr’s Northside. I was neither looking for nor expecting luxury-grade lodging; just wanted a clean and comfortable room at a fair price. From the majority of the reviews, it appeared that Carr’s offered just that.

The location is pleasant…just off the busy Gatlinburg East Parkway, in a somewhat wooded location with a smattering of eclectic buildings. My assigned room was a bit of a distance from the majority of their other buildings, across the street from what appeared to be locals' homes. It felt private, and remote. There were four or five of Carr’s units here, tucked into the trees, with decks or porches facing a gently babbling creek. As expected, the room was dated; if that had been of prime concern to me, I wouldn’t have chosen this locale. The “important” parts of the room were clean…bedding, bathroom, kitchenette and dishes. Appliances included a medium sized fridge, toaster oven, and microwave, all of which functioned as expected. During my stay, there was plenty of hot water which took only a short time to arrive at the faucets. Linens were utilitarian and unremarkable. The bathroom had a heater in the exhaust fan. The TV was a flat screen with good reception on the cable. The through-the-wall a/c and heater worked well. I didn’t have occasion to check out the wi-fi in the office.

I found the check-in staff efficient but would not give them glowing accolades for friendliness or customer service. When I had to leave a night early, the office staff checked that I was paid, but offered no parting "thank-you" or evidence of any concern at the turn of events. I found this very cold.

The less-positive parts of this visit begin here. Entry into the room was via French-style doors with full length windows, and exit to the back enclosed porch was through a door with another full-length window; next to this door was a tall window. Blinds in somewhat poor repair were on each of the windows. One set of these blinds had no wand attached to open/close them; I used a pair of tongs from the kitchen utensils to reach the mechanism and close the blind. There were no curtains on any of the windows; I don’t consider blinds a means to provide a room’s occupant with adequate privacy. Each door had only a lockable doorknob; there were no deadbolts. While Gatlinburg may not be a high-crime area, I believe that a lodging should provide its guests with a minimum standard of privacy and safety.

I found the bed to be very uncomfortable. I understand that this is subjective, and grant that someone else’s body and back might relish the board-like firmness of the mattress.

While on the “surface” the room was clean, it took only a glance behind the headboard and nightstands (on a quest for an extra outlet) to see that this room is sorely in need of a deep-clean. Thick dust clung to the side of the headboard and was settled on the baseboard trim. Other cleaning needs included thick dust on the (rusting) bathroom exhaust fan and the blinds, and the porch-side windows were covered in a hazy film. The bathroom fan had no cover, only a bare incandescent bulb. The bedside lamps’ shades were loose and wobbly, as were the sockets and switches. There was an odd (sort of) air freshener unit attached to the wall, which about every thirty minutes ‘squeaked’ out a spittle of fragrance. While the microwave was functional, its insides had a large, circular dark brown stain on its warped bottom cover.

As other reviewers have commented, this place could be a gem if the owners would attend to cleaning and maintenance issues, expend some resources to replace old and worn-out items, and bring rooms (such as the one I stayed in) up to a more modern standard of privacy and security. All it needs is love.........

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
nashville tn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Was pleased with our lodging choice of Carrs. All basic needs met..We stayed in a 2 bedroom apt. With fireplace on second level. Only complaints would be noise from neighbors. Walls are paper thin and people coming in late . Considering the price and all else we would return.A tv in the bedrooms would have been nice and definitely needed if we had stayed longer than 2 nights.

Room Tip: Has no restaurant or fitness center but this rating thing won,t let me erase!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel? Share your experiences!