“Perfect place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel
Save Saved
You added Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel to your Saves list
421 Laurel Road West, P.O. Box 728, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Louisville, Kentucky
“Perfect place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Listen! I read a lot of reviews before our trip to Gatlinburg....A LOT! So based on the reviews I read about Carr's we decided to stay. I am so happy we did. This is a fabulous place. We rented a cottage that slept all seven of us. The place was much larger than I had anticipated. If you wanted to go off alone you could or all of us could enjoy the living room as it had plenty of space. The staff was courteous. The surroundings were quiet. The location was perfect. We never fought any of the crazy downtown traffic. We would drive down to the bottom of the hill, park in a garage (six $$ for the day) and spend the day tooling around town. It was wonderful. I can't imagine we would stay anywhere else. The cost is beyond reasonable. The place was clean! And for me that is the most important. Thank you Carr's for contributing to a wonderful family vacation!

I'm giving a lower sleep quality rating only because the beds were too firm...at least for me. I don't like a hard mattress. But having said that, I would stay here again and again and again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Haddon Heights, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just stayed at Carr's for 2 nights in the motel. The room was huge with a porch facing the river. The only drawback was no WIFI in the room. To get online we had to go to the office. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2013
decatur, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I grew up near the Great Smoky Mountains and my mom still lives in the area. We looked for a resort that could accomadate 20 out of town guests and 20 more local folks for mom's 80th birthday party. After checking out several cabins (crammed together and overpriced) and big name hotels, we happened upon Carr's on Highway 321 just outside the main Gatlinburg drag. They offer a variety of room types and rates. They accomadated everyone and gave us free use of their outdoor pavilion! It was perfect! The kids and grow-ups all loved the place and the owner's hospitality was awesome and much appreciated.

I did not give 5 stars because the rooms need updating, new flooring and bedding. Our room had a deck over the river and it was large and clean. Everything worked and you can't beat the price. My family will be back!

Room Tip: We got a double queen room, next time we will stay in one of the cottages.
Coldwater, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We booked this after reading reviews here on Trip Advisor. Although the reviews were spot on about the place being outdated, it had a mixture of modern and outdated decor I thought. I knew that you could not access wifi from your room and this ended up being somewhat of a hinderance as this place does not put tv's in each room, only one in the living room which is fine but it rained for two days and therefore not much for teenagers to do. Also, I like to watch tv at night to wind down from the day and this would be ok if you could watch something on your computer using wifi but since neither of those were an option, it was somewhat of a disappointment in the end. I thought the place was clean but it did bother me that there was some safety issues that they didn't seem to be to concerned with taking care of; our ac leaked all over the cement in front of our door and would be ok if it wasn't where you walked and did get slippery. Me and two others in our room almost slipped and fell which could be bad! We ended up putting a bread pan from the kitchen under the ac where it leaked to help stop the water so that it would dry up somewhat although the pan seemed to fill out rather quickly. The other thing that I noticed was that they had some rotting boards and another guest, a small child ended up getting stung from bee's a couple of times as they had nested into the wood. The lady above us went to the office and got spray and had to do it herself after the little boy was stung. She told me that another guest staying up there warned her about the bee's upon her arrival. This bothered me that someone from Carr's wasn't up there immediately taking care of the problem!! Overall, I would stay here again as the value is worth what was lacking in other things. The grounds are kept really nice, they had a play area that did offer volleyball, basketball, and a small jungle gym with swings etc. The pavillion was nice and the laundry area was nice as well. The pool was kept clean and the area around it was clean.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We chose Carr's after a not so good experience at another motel- we just needed it for one night and had no reservation. The office was very accomodating and provided us with a room along side the river stream which our balcony faced. This was my favorite part..very peaceful and serene. The rooms were not immaculately decorated or anything but the price and the scenery was well worth it and I would stay again especially since the motel we left was only 10$ less...

Room Tip: Definitely request a room alongside the river stream.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Powell, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have stayed at Carrs several times in the past and it has been nice. But this time the beds were VERY uncomfortable. The hardest mattresses I have EVER been on. I mentioned it at checkout and the desk clerk acted like she didn't care. If you decide to stay there,,check out the bed,,BEFORE you retire for the night,,,so maybe you can get another room with beds that are comfortable. Ours was by the creek.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I discovered Carr's Northside cottages quite by accident one time when visiting Gatlinburg in the early 80's. Driving around I spotted the sign from Hwy 321 and turned in ....what I found when I pulled in was like a scene from the 40's and 50's. A true, peaceful, yet somewhat dated resort!...The appearance is actually now, what draws me to it. It reminds me of a time when you weren't concerned about providing anything but a nice, clean and peaceful place to stay. Where the important thing was and is....a get away....There are no phones and the only computer used to book your reservation still is recorded (well, actually you can request accomodations now online...) on a long hand written scrolled journal kept on a slanted writing surface right behind the check in desk! I love it when I ask about future reservations and they turn around and check on availability from their "computer"...Hey guess what, you will never call Carr's and hear, "excuse me can you call back and check later as our computers are down..". Their computer is always working!
I don't believe I have ever stayed at Carr's when we were in a unit that was not on the stream. The stream and the nostalgia of the place is what constantly brings me back! We have stayed in the newer units with kitchens on the North end of the complex but one of our favorites, especially if it's winter time, is #15 (I hate to tell you that because we get mad when it's not available!). It sleeps 6, is on the second floor overlooking the stream, has a large kitchen and place to eat and pine paneled walls and a fireplace in the living area. I believe they have told us before that 15 is one of the original cottages. It is directly across from the office.
If you are truly looking for peace and quiet and yet enjoy the convenience of being close to town (you can walk to town) and are not looking for a bunch of bells and whistles..(no continental breakfast...but all the coffee you can drink!), then Carr's may truly be your resort of choice. Of course, I've been coming for so long that they usually know which rooms or units to tell me are available because they know we always want the same 4 or 5 "spots." The place can become a little less inviting when there are large numbers of families with children there, but usually my friend and I plan to come at less than the busiest times of the year.

I recommend Carr's Northside cottages without reservation!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel? Share your experiences!