“Nice Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel
You added Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel to your Saves list
421 Laurel Road West, P.O. Box 728, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Nice Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We chose Carr's after a not so good experience at another motel- we just needed it for one night and had no reservation. The office was very accomodating and provided us with a room along side the river stream which our balcony faced. This was my favorite part..very peaceful and serene. The rooms were not immaculately decorated or anything but the price and the scenery was well worth it and I would stay again especially since the motel we left was only 10$ less...

Room Tip: Definitely request a room alongside the river stream.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Powell, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have stayed at Carrs several times in the past and it has been nice. But this time the beds were VERY uncomfortable. The hardest mattresses I have EVER been on. I mentioned it at checkout and the desk clerk acted like she didn't care. If you decide to stay there,,check out the bed,,BEFORE you retire for the night,,,so maybe you can get another room with beds that are comfortable. Ours was by the creek.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I discovered Carr's Northside cottages quite by accident one time when visiting Gatlinburg in the early 80's. Driving around I spotted the sign from Hwy 321 and turned in ....what I found when I pulled in was like a scene from the 40's and 50's. A true, peaceful, yet somewhat dated resort!...The appearance is actually now, what draws me to it. It reminds me of a time when you weren't concerned about providing anything but a nice, clean and peaceful place to stay. Where the important thing was and is....a get away....There are no phones and the only computer used to book your reservation still is recorded (well, actually you can request accomodations now online...) on a long hand written scrolled journal kept on a slanted writing surface right behind the check in desk! I love it when I ask about future reservations and they turn around and check on availability from their "computer"...Hey guess what, you will never call Carr's and hear, "excuse me can you call back and check later as our computers are down..". Their computer is always working!
I don't believe I have ever stayed at Carr's when we were in a unit that was not on the stream. The stream and the nostalgia of the place is what constantly brings me back! We have stayed in the newer units with kitchens on the North end of the complex but one of our favorites, especially if it's winter time, is #15 (I hate to tell you that because we get mad when it's not available!). It sleeps 6, is on the second floor overlooking the stream, has a large kitchen and place to eat and pine paneled walls and a fireplace in the living area. I believe they have told us before that 15 is one of the original cottages. It is directly across from the office.
If you are truly looking for peace and quiet and yet enjoy the convenience of being close to town (you can walk to town) and are not looking for a bunch of bells and whistles..(no continental breakfast...but all the coffee you can drink!), then Carr's may truly be your resort of choice. Of course, I've been coming for so long that they usually know which rooms or units to tell me are available because they know we always want the same 4 or 5 "spots." The place can become a little less inviting when there are large numbers of families with children there, but usually my friend and I plan to come at less than the busiest times of the year.

I recommend Carr's Northside cottages without reservation!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
McMinnville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We have stayed twice here. The last time being in April 2013. Love the atmosphere that surrounds this place. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. We love the stream side and can't wait to stay again. We were supposed to be there in December 2012, but had to change our reservation and they were extremely understanding. You do not have to worry about leaving your car there. It is watched 24 hours. Thanks Carr's!!!!

Room Tip: Number 11 is great!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I (in our 30s) stayed at Carrs a few years ago, and decided to return in mid-May after learning they were running a special for creekside hotel rooms for under $60 a night. We knew what to expect, and indeed not much has changed - we found Carrs to be quaint and quiet, as it was the last time we visited, and while the room decor is dated, our room was very clean. I loved opening the door to the creekside balcony, and our third floor hotel room had nice tall ceilings, and the bed was comfortable. While there is a bit of a walk to the strip, I appreciated the peace and quiet that I suspect hotels on the strip lack. Laundry facilities and hot tub were also very clean. I requested new towels, and found the staff to be personable.

• Stayed May 2013
Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was the first time I stayed at Carr's. It was a last minute vacation and there was only one room left. It was thier smallest room but it accomodated us fine. The staff was very friendly and the location was great.

Room Tip: If you are looking for an economical room for two, Get room 400. It's nothing fancy but it slept...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We travel to Gatlinburg several times a year and stay here every time. The cottages are great, I recommend requestiong one on the creek. It is nice to sit out on your balcony in the evening listening to the water and have a beer or glass of wine. Great location as you can easily walk into town, but it is just off the main street far enough to for your quiet time!

Room Tip: Request a room on the creek, we prefer the cottages as they have kitchens with stove and fridge also...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel? Share your experiences!