“When you find a good thing....” 4 of 5 stars

421 Laurel Road West, P.O. Box 728, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“When you find a good thing....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I discovered Carr's Northside cottages quite by accident one time when visiting Gatlinburg in the early 80's. Driving around I spotted the sign from Hwy 321 and turned in ....what I found when I pulled in was like a scene from the 40's and 50's. A true, peaceful, yet somewhat dated resort!...The appearance is actually now, what draws me to it. It reminds me of a time when you weren't concerned about providing anything but a nice, clean and peaceful place to stay. Where the important thing was and is....a get away....There are no phones and the only computer used to book your reservation still is recorded (well, actually you can request accomodations now online...) on a long hand written scrolled journal kept on a slanted writing surface right behind the check in desk! I love it when I ask about future reservations and they turn around and check on availability from their "computer"...Hey guess what, you will never call Carr's and hear, "excuse me can you call back and check later as our computers are down..". Their computer is always working!
I don't believe I have ever stayed at Carr's when we were in a unit that was not on the stream. The stream and the nostalgia of the place is what constantly brings me back! We have stayed in the newer units with kitchens on the North end of the complex but one of our favorites, especially if it's winter time, is #15 (I hate to tell you that because we get mad when it's not available!). It sleeps 6, is on the second floor overlooking the stream, has a large kitchen and place to eat and pine paneled walls and a fireplace in the living area. I believe they have told us before that 15 is one of the original cottages. It is directly across from the office.
If you are truly looking for peace and quiet and yet enjoy the convenience of being close to town (you can walk to town) and are not looking for a bunch of bells and whistles..(no continental breakfast...but all the coffee you can drink!), then Carr's may truly be your resort of choice. Of course, I've been coming for so long that they usually know which rooms or units to tell me are available because they know we always want the same 4 or 5 "spots." The place can become a little less inviting when there are large numbers of families with children there, but usually my friend and I plan to come at less than the busiest times of the year.

I recommend Carr's Northside cottages without reservation!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
McMinnville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We have stayed twice here. The last time being in April 2013. Love the atmosphere that surrounds this place. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. We love the stream side and can't wait to stay again. We were supposed to be there in December 2012, but had to change our reservation and they were extremely understanding. You do not have to worry about leaving your car there. It is watched 24 hours. Thanks Carr's!!!!

Room Tip: Number 11 is great!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I (in our 30s) stayed at Carrs a few years ago, and decided to return in mid-May after learning they were running a special for creekside hotel rooms for under $60 a night. We knew what to expect, and indeed not much has changed - we found Carrs to be quaint and quiet, as it was the last time we visited, and while the room decor is dated, our room was very clean. I loved opening the door to the creekside balcony, and our third floor hotel room had nice tall ceilings, and the bed was comfortable. While there is a bit of a walk to the strip, I appreciated the peace and quiet that I suspect hotels on the strip lack. Laundry facilities and hot tub were also very clean. I requested new towels, and found the staff to be personable.

• Stayed May 2013
Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was the first time I stayed at Carr's. It was a last minute vacation and there was only one room left. It was thier smallest room but it accomodated us fine. The staff was very friendly and the location was great.

Room Tip: If you are looking for an economical room for two, Get room 400. It's nothing fancy but it slept...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We travel to Gatlinburg several times a year and stay here every time. The cottages are great, I recommend requestiong one on the creek. It is nice to sit out on your balcony in the evening listening to the water and have a beer or glass of wine. Great location as you can easily walk into town, but it is just off the main street far enough to for your quiet time!

Room Tip: Request a room on the creek, we prefer the cottages as they have kitchens with stove and fridge also...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We met at Carr's this week for the third straight year for a men's retreat the surroundings of Carr's along the river make for the perfect setting for a peaceful weekend to get away from the hustle and bustle of busy lives and remind ourselves of all we have to be grateful for. I would recommend Carr's to anyone visiting the Gatlinburg area. the accomodations are spectacular and very reasonable. I look forward to returning for next years retreat

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
AmyatCarrs, Manager at Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Glad to hear you had a good time, Bill G. We look forward to seeing you and your group again next year!
Athens, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We have been going to Gatlinburg 31 years, and have never stayed at Carr's until this weekend. We were extremely surprised at the value we received staying here. We rented a cottage on the river. It had two queen beds upstairs in an big, open bedroom. There was also the main bathroom upstairs. Downstairs had a small kitchen, small dining table, gas fireplace, 1/2 bathroom, living area and a balcony with a table and 4 chairs overlooking the river stream. I read the bad reviews while we were there, and I guess those were at the motel, because our unit was nice. Yes, it was outdated as far as color scheme goes, but still very, very clean. Besides up-to-date is not important to me at all, as long as it is clean, which this unit was.

We had gotten in on a deal for $92.50 a nights, which was wonderful. We cooked our meals and ate out on the balcony, which saved us a lot of money. I think one person complained that there wasn't a TV up in the bedroom area. I don't watch TV at home, but if I did, I sure as heck would not want to watch it on vacation -- especially, with that stream right outside. I think some people are too hard to please.

The kitchen was adequate, stocked with dishes and pots and pans. It had a microwave, refrigerator, toaster, coffee pot. The gas fireplace was a nice touch, especially since it rained and we had gotten cold while walking through Gatlinburg. We got a bottle of wine, went home, made pizza (we bought a disposable pizza pan), drank wine and ate pizza in front of the fireplace. Then we went and relaxed on the balcony.

I am not one to go to the same resort twice because life is so short and I want to see as much as I can. However, we have decided that Carr's is definitely worth going back to stay. We had stayed at the Brookside Resort right across the water from Carr's once, and I won't ever go back there again because it was extremely old, and stunk like molded old cigarettes. Carr's is a wonderful value and is in a great location away from the crowds.

Thank you, Carr's. You have a great place!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Homemade pizza and a fire sound like a great idea for a rainy day (and we've sure had plenty of those lately!). We look forward to seeing you again on a return trip.

Been to Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel? Share your experiences!