“20th Anniversary Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel
421 Laurel Road West, P.O. Box 728, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #13 of 86 hotels in Gatlinburg
“20th Anniversary Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

After much research of the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area we decided to give Carr's a try. We booked for November 16-19 & got a king size room by the creek. The motel is older, but it was comfortable, economical & clean. The staff was great!! We didn't spend a lot of time in the room because we like to do things during day...this year it was zip lining, driving thru the park & even hitting a portion of The Dragon's Tail!!! We walked to town every evening to shop & eat, we loved the walk, even in the crisp mountain air. The highlights of our trip was zip lining, the ribs at Calhouns & seeing a herd of elk for the first time while leaving Cherokee! It was a great 3 days away in the mountains!! Will definitely stay here again!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Brooksville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We have been traveling to Gatlinburg for several years and often stay at Carr's. We know what to expect as far as being outdated. It is always clean, roomy & good location. We have NEVER experienced dirty carpet or smelly rooms as other posts & would tell the management immediately if we did.This trip we found our room less than average "outdated". The curtains were torn on the top didn't function, we had to undo the hooks to close them & put a chair to hold them closed. The mattress had a huge dip & we found it hard to sleep. Both are backs hurt & made us cranky for the extended stay. There were a few other small things that we could live with, but overall we were disappointed & decided that we will start looking for a new place to stay for now on when we visit. I hope they decide to charge a little more if needed in order to update - we would pay it!

Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was in Gatlinburg for a workshop and needed a clean place to stay that was a good value, since I wouldn't be in the room very much. The rest of the group stayed in the Microtel but the reviews were a bit better for Carr's, so I was the exception to the group. I was startled at check-in when I was informed that: 1) maid service was free but only if requested (who wouldn't request it?); and 2) wi-fi was free but only at the hotel office.

The room was on the small side, situated near a small stream. As might be expected when near water, the room had a bit of damp smell but nothing objectionable. Since the hotel is clearly described as being on a stream, I had expected this. While unpacking that evening, I was again startled to hear a strange chuffing sound - just once. When it happened again a few minutes later, I investigated - I knew I'd never get to sleep with an intermittent noise like that. I couldn't find any obvious cause. Again, the noise. I unplugged the air conditioner wall unit. Again, the noise. I found something that looked like a deodorizer behind the TV, and put it outside the door. Again, the noise. Finally, I spotted a battery-operated deodorizer mounted near the ceiling! Removed the batteries and all was quiet.

The evening before departure, I needed to confirm my flight reservation, so went to the hotel lobby to use wi-fi. Connected OK and confirmed, and asked about a printer for the confirmation. Learned that the only printer was in the office and unavailable after hours. Oh well. Sent the confirmation to my smartphone and scanned the barcode from it at the airport.

Would I recommend Carr's? For this price point, yes, I think I would. The rest of the group, at the Microtel for a similar price, seemed less satisfied than I, so I think Carr's was a reasonable option, despite the idiosyncracies.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We rented at Carr's and are so glad we chose this over the hundreds of hotels and rentals found on the internet. The G in Gatlinberg must definitely mean GRIDLOCK. Carr's is about 1 mile away from the downtown area (where there is not one inch of space between the stores, restaurants, attractions, and hotels). Carr's sits back from the highway and has a variety of accommodations. We chose a one room cottage. It had a balcony overlooking a rushing stream, two queen beds, a small table, refrigerator, sink, stove, and a stone fireplace (gas burning). The ceiling and trim were a wonderful natural wood. The bathroom was roomy. It was unattached to other cottages so we were not disturbed by anyone else and didn't worry about disturbing them. Maid service must be requested, but doesn't cost extra. There was a large yard and playground for kids. The seasonal rate was stay two nights and get the third for half price. The downside is that there are no restaurants serving dinner within walking distance. We will definitely stay here again if we return to the area.

Hartselle, Alabama, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Although it is a little dated, (we called it "vintage!") Carr's is an excellent choice for people on a budget. I was traveling with a younger cousin and knew we would be in the room very little. I got a king room which was HUGE. It also had its own bathroom and kitchenette with large refrigerator and microwave. There was more than enough room for the two of us. Bed was comfy and the room was clean. We knew it was an older hotel and you get what you pay for...it was 60 a night for the first two nights and the 3rd night was half price...but for what we needed it couldnt be beat. The only thing that was bothersome was that one of the employees parked outside the room we were staying in each day when she arrived for work. The problem with that was that when she got there at 8 AM she was blaring her music so loud that we could hear her insider our room (she had her car windows rolled up also). It was just a little annoying to have that as a wake up call each morning! However, it was a great stay and suited our needs perfectly. I would definitely consider staying there again. Its also close to a trolley stop and we did ride the trolley to and back from town one night.

Room Tip: Room 20 was in the back...had a King bed but no jacuzzi tub. If you just need a clean place to stay...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ragland, Alabama, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was searching for a resonable place for my husband and I to meet on a spur of the moment getway. He is in the military and was driving to a halfway for us to see each other. I have been to Gatlingburg many times but have never stayed on Laurel Rd. when I called to make the reservation I was told we could walk into town. . .wrong! It is a older place inside and out but I can handle that but I cant handle a dead spider on my bed sheet when I pulled down the cover. The carpet was so dirty that my husband wore white socks and they were black after one night. The bed was so hard that each morning we got straight out of bed to a hot bath/shower so we could movefor the day. We wont stay there again but it was reasonable.

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Booked this place after reading the reviews from Tripadvisor. I've been to Gatlinburg many times but had no idea about this place and it turned out to be great. When I drove up to sign in I was a little worried because the buildings are older and it is off the main area of Gatlinburg but after I got in the room I was good. The room was cleaner then most of the rooms that you will rent in Gatinburg and if you stay in the rooms next to the creek it is a nice setting. If you are wanting a room that is up to date or high end and don't mind paying $200 plus a night this is not the place for you but if you want a great value and a quiet place to lay your head you should check it out. The only drawback is you will have to pay to park if you go downtown, it's to far to walk.

Room Tip: Stay in a room near the creek and in winter get a room with a fireplace. They provide the wood.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel? Share your experiences!