“Amazing tea---but not amazing service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Tea Room
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Bryan, Ohio, United States
“Amazing tea---but not amazing service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I ate at the Wild Plum Tea Room with a friend on Tues., March 26th. I had a delicious ham and cream cheese sandwich and opted for the hot tea. The tea was BEYOND delicious! I would have bought it if they sold it. I wish it had been caffeine- free. The muffins served were delicious too. The food was very reasonably priced. I paid $15 for my entire meal (no dessert) with a tip.

HOWEVER, the Wild Plum Tea Room needs some EDUCATION on hospitality. It was a very cold day and we had to wait OUTSIDE for at least 20 minutes. There were tables open and plenty of room to let guests wait indoors. Even if they had just let us sit down and not served us until they could, that would have been nice. It took a good long time to warm up. Additionally, our waitress seemed uninterested in the fact that she was in a service industry position. She was inattentative, rude, and just RUDE. I don't know if I would come back again since I don't think they really "earned" my repeat business. It's a shame. I love local and unique businesses with delicious food but I also like to be treated like a customer and not like I am in the way when I am paying for a meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Livonia, MI
“Very Unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This restaurant/Tea Room was so unique and homey, and restful. It is located in the Arts and Crafts district and the perfect place to have lunch after visiting the arts and crafts shop in the district, away from the hustle and bustle of the touristy attractions. The setting was beautiful, next to a creek, under large old trees. We signed in on the sheet outdoors, but were welcomed in almost immediately by a very personable hostess (very grandmotherly). We opted to sit in the screened in porch, which provided a nice view of the creek and trees and birds playing in the creek. We were made to feel almost like we were eating at someone's home. The food was excellent and somewhat different. I had the chicken salad, served with a homemade scone and unique salad. It was delicious. The plum tea was so refreshing, I asked for a glass to go (which is free of charge). I would definitely recommend this place highly. We will definitely eat there again the next time we are there.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Huntsville, Alabama
“Rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had heard good things about The Wild Plum Tea Room and made a 40 minute drive. When I arrived with my wife and two small children it was 32 degrees and snowing (26 Mar 13). We went in and half the restaurant was empty. I waited to ask if we seat ourselves or is a hostess would seat us. When the employee that made eye contact three times finally came over she said there is a sign in on the porch to sign in and wait outside, outside in the 32 degree weather. We went outside, signed in and waited. We waited for five minutes while the server cleared tables in a half empty restaurant while we foolishly stood in the literally freezing cold. We came to our senses, wrote too cold to wait on the sign in sheet and left. Never have I seen incompetence and rudeness like this. This restaurant does not deserve anyone’s business. I would ask them if they would like to be treated like we were. I wouldn’t ask someone I didn’t like to wait in the cold with their children while I did tasks that could wait until a guest was seated. Rude, rude, rude.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. Augustine, Florida
“An Unpolished Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

As we were exploring the artist loop in Gatlinburg, we decided to have lunch at the Wild Plum Tea Room. If you read my reviews, you’ll notice that some of my best ones are of places we stumble upon. This is one of them. I had read a few reviews on TA and thought little more about it because it appeared that it wasn‘t a “man place.” But when we came upon it around lunchtime, we decided to venture in.

The Wild Plum Tea Room is a homey, rickety little building on the artist’s loop, next to a pretty little stream, easily missed unless you’re watching for it or stumble upon it. (I’m thinking of changing my screen name to Stumbler). We were welcomed by a very pleasant greeter and seated at a small table covered with a pretty lace cloth on the porch overlooking a small stream. We were quickly served a wonderfully hot, fragrant cup of tea, served in charmingly unmatched bone china. On a freezing cold spring day, this was eagerly welcomed, and refills kept coming regularly.

As I mentioned, some reviews said this was not a man’s place. But half the people enjoying lunch here were men, several of whom were very vocal about their delicious lunch. I didn’t see one muttering there wasn’t enough food or it wasn’t fabulous. My own man ordered the salmon burger, scarfed it down in record time, pronounced it delicious and declared he was full. I ordered the Italian Tomato Bread Soup and contemplated a sandwich as well. I’m glad I didn’t get that because the soup was a meal in itself, a delicious veggie concotion soaked up by yummy bread.

The atmosphere was delightfully calm and the food was delicious. This little place deserves your consideration. Plan your day around lunch here and you won’t be sorry.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Florence, Kentucky
“wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I came here at the very end of Sept. 2012 on a girls trip.of ages 16-60+...I was not sure what to expect when I heard we were going there and almost declined to stay back at the beautiful cabin.I'm so glad I did not choose to do that..it was a little rainy on and off a fall but slightly warm enough day..the place fell like a true peaceful step back in time.you could hear the walnuts hit the roof as they fell off the trees and the raindrops..scenery alone was worth the trip and prices were reasonable..food pretty good I also tasted my friends and hers was great as well.muffins and hot tea -very good!.I highly recommend this place and I'm a restaurant snob because my momma raised me right and I can cook so I don't really like alot of restaurants and dont feel there worth the cost.but I felt as though this one was and is one of my fondest memories

• Visited September 2012