“Overpriced and over-rated” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 173 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Nestled in the Great Smoky Mountains we specialize in great steaks and wholesome, flavorful food. Serving naturally aged steaks cut to your specification at your table and grilled over real Tennessee hickory charcoal, our menu also offers fresh trout and chicken. All entrees include our generous, fresh salad bar, and be sure to save room for our delectable desserts.
Johnson City, Tennessee, United States
“Overpriced and over-rated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

My wife and I went here while in the Smokies expecting a wonderful meal since it had such a good reputation. To boot, there was a two hour wait, so it had to be worth it, right? The view we had of the river was very nice, and the staff, excluding our "steak peddler" (kinda uppity and rude), was very pleasant. Salad bar was very fresh and well stocked, but we weren't there for the rabbit food. Crab stuffed mushrooms were terrible and tasted like the stuffing was put in a blender, set to puree, and spooned on (as I type this my wife is sitting next to me saying "it tasted like throw-up"). I ordered my ribeye medium rare. It was well done on one end, and rare on the other. It also had more gristle than any high grade steak should have (this was during the govt shutdown, so maybe it made it by the meat inspectors). My wife had the filet, and it was a good cut of meat, but quite unremarkable. We had planned to have dessert, but after the failed dinner, just didn't want to throw good money after bad. Yes, I should have said something to the manager, but my wife begged me to not. I've learned not to go against her, it's just not worth it LOL. I joked that the raccoon we were watching on the riverbank ate better than we did that night. On the way out, I told those waiting to go to Logan's Steakhouse across the street. The quality would have been better, the wait shorter, and about $50 cheaper. If you do decide to go, they do accept call ahead seating.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Great steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

This place was pricey but worth it for a very nice meal. The steak was great and the service was excellent. I'd recommend calling ahead for a reservation though. The wait was over an hour on Friday night without one.

Daphne, Alabama
“Excellent Food and Service - No Reservations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is a slightly high dollar steak house with a really good salad bar. Service was excellent. For an entree I ordered the 9 0z Prime Rib, $25.99. Excellent taste. This place does not take reservations. We called ahead to put our name on the list and waited about 30 minutes. Better than a 2 hr wait. One person in our party ordered the trout, another ordered the steak. Everyone enjoyed their food. Go before dark and you can enjoy a view of the little mountain stream. Nice log building with lots of big windows overlooking the stream. This was during the week in November, not sure how this place is at high season or during a busy weekend.

Ringgold, Georgia
“Perfect choice for my wedding night dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I researched the perfect place for my wedding night dinner monthes in advance and had settled on the peddler...it was worth the wait and my husband and i had a wonderful dinner with excellent service! We each ordered a steak and ate every last bite! One word: delicious!!!!

kemp
“POOR QUALITY OF MEAT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We have eaten at this steakhouse for over30 years. Every time we visit this area. The meat served to all four of us was of very poor quality. We had both prime rib and rib eye with the same results. Tough and Tasteless.
All employees were like robots. Programed to serve and get you out the door. Very disappointed.

• 1 of 5 stars Food