“Excellent place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

River Edge Motor Lodge
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   655 River Rd., Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #42 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
greenville
“Excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I decided to write this review because it took me 2 weeks to decide where to stay on my 1st trip to Gatlingburg. Please do not believe the bad reviews on this one , I can say people always have bad things to say on every single hotel including the Hilton. I can say this place is good for the money you pay for it because the night before I arrived at this motor lodge I stayed at Glenstone Lodge and I paid $89 for a room with 2 doubles. In the Glenstone Lodge the breakfast was not included and I paid $7.95 per adult, half price for children 4-10 and ended up paying another $35. Glenstone has a nice Lobby but the rooms are half the size of River Edge Motor Lodge, it does not have microwave, fridge or Wi-Fi in the room and the carpet was dirty and stained not to mention the mattress was so fluffy that I could not sleep and they only have a few channels on tv. At the River Edge I paid $45 for a double queen and it was double the size of the other place and with all the amenities like fridge, wi-fi, microwave, and a simple but good continental breakfast which include 2 type of cereals, baggels, muffins, krispy creme donuts, orange juice, apple juice and coffee. I had extra money to pay for attractions in dowtown and believe me if you are with kids they will make you waste alot of money there. The location of the River Edge is better than Glenstone Lodge. The Strip of Gatlingburg is on the street called Parkway and the street that runs parallel on the back of that strip is called River Rd which is behind of the parkway. Any hotel located in river road in my opinion is very well located. This lodge is located in front of Old Creek Lodge which is a nice hotel. You walk out of the hotel and on river road you will see the chairlifts passing on top of the street and you will see the building of Ober where you take the airtram. The mattress was really comfortable compared to Glenstone in which I could not sleep all night of how fluffy they are. I would have to talk to the main strip from Glenstone Lodge like 4 Blocks while on River Edge it was just one block. Sometimes we have to experience staying in other places not that worth it in order for us to appreciate the good stuff. Oh I was forgetting the ladies at the front desk are a charm they will even tell you places to go and where not to waste your money.They recommended me going to roaring fork nature trail which I had not heard about it if it was not for them and I was able to see a bear on one of the trails. I was happy about that one because I could not see not even one animal at cades cove. People if its your 1st time in gatlingburg I recommend booking the 1st time directly with the hotel, leave Hotels.com, expedia and the other agencies for a second visit. That way you wont have issues if you are given a room you did not choose.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
bristol,va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We book a room thru a booking service. Did not get the room we was suppose to. The first nights rooms was pretty bad. We checked out the next morning and explained to Kelly that we did not get the right room and she was very nice and helped us on a second night. The room she put us in was very nice and we was able to turn a bad experience into a good one! Thank you Kelly!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dawsonville, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

nasty, dirty, rude workers. checked out after 1 night and staff would not refund

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Not only old but unkept and Nasty! Duct tape on frig! Freezer in need of defrosting! Batteries falling out of TV remote (back missing) and did not work half the time when you could keep them in! Mixmatched light bulbs over the sink (the ones that were there, 2 were missing)! NO hot water (luke warm at best), water flowing to back of faucet in bathtub! Fireplace did not work in first room. In second room, fireplace on a timer and the gas stayed on, you had to turn it off manually or our room reeked of fumes! Patched up wallpaper in bathroom. Dirty pillow cases and mildew smelling towels. Lady at front desk VERY rude, would not refund our money despite all the problems. Reserved on-line, they prefer you to book with them directly but was unable to find a phone number to do this. I will not make this mistake twice!!!! By the way, I was told that the 3rd floor was nicer than the rest. We stayed on the 2nd floor.

Room Tip: Choose a different place to stay! I have pics but can not get them downloaded at this time.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is a little older but nice and comfortable with new denver mattresses. The fireplace was very nice, it was on a timer so if you fell asleep it would cut off. Staff was very nice kind and attentive. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012
Selma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

My wife and I spent last Thursday through Sunday night at River Edge Motor Lodge. I admit, that the "bad" reviews caused us to be hyper vigilant. But we were pleased to find it was a great place to spend our long weekend. We stayed in room #306. It was a spacious room with a gas fireplace, a balcony, and a king bed. The room was clean - all floors, carpeted and tiled. All the bed and bath linens were clean. Because of some of the negative reviews we brought our own towels, but were pleased to find there was no need to use them - there's were adequate. The bathroom was clean, and the water was plenty hot. All of the bathroom fixtures worked well with the exception of the commode, which can be easily remedied. The first night the frequent noise of the water supply turning on and off was annoying, but I was too sleepy to check it. The next day when I checked it I discovered the problem. The chain inside the tank was too long. And every time the commode was flushed the chain fell beneath the bottom edge of the flap and prevented a complete seal. The fire place worked great. Unfortunately the range between low and high heat was so short that it would quickly over heat the room, so we couldn't use it as much as we wanted. Although the fireplace timer didn't work, I didn't mind manually using the on/off switch on the fireplace unit. Additionally,the ice machine was out of order. And lastly, the wall mounted hair dryer did not work. But we brought our own. None of the forementioned issues were a serious bother to us, but they could be to other guests. So I hope the management will correct those issues soon. The bed was a very pleasant surprise in that it was one of the most comfortable we ever had. The hotel staff were very courteous and helpful. Overall we enjoyed the room, and will definitely stay at River Edge Motor Lodge next time we visit Gatlinburg, and will ask for room #306. Danny

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We celebrated our 7 year anniversary at the River Edge. We have stayed in Gatlinburg many times, due to us living 45 mins away. We will definately stay here for our future visits. We wanted a nice, quite, relaxing weekend away together, and got more! The fireplace added just the right romantic touch. We were at first second guessing ourselves when we pulled into the parking lot, but much to our surprise, we found a warm, cozy, and very comfortable room. The hotel is older, but to it's advantage of having concrete walls, we had absolute peace from the outside elements and noise. We both loved our experiance! I could not find anything negative about the hotel, and I usually try, but really couldn't. I LOVE the water pressure in the shower! It was awesome and felt like a massage! Balcony was great, fireplace was romantic, mini fridge and microwave were great for our late night left overs! On a personal note, I would like to thank Kelly, the front desk lady. Our car had a dead battery when we were checking out. Kelly was gracious enough to jump start us with her personal car and get us on our way. I promise Kelly we will pay it forward! Thank you for helping make our anniversary memorable. Great value and better customer service!

Room Tip: Ask for a fireplace in the winter. Worth the enjoyment! Room 209 was awesome
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to River Edge Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!