“Will come back!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riverhouse Motor Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riverhouse Motor Lodge
You added Riverhouse Motor Lodge to your Saves list
610 River Rd., Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #3 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
McHenry, Illinois
“Will come back!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I just wanted to say my Husband, myself and our three daughters ages 12, 8 and 1 & 1/2 came to Gatlinburg for a last minute vacation. We checked many of the hotels in the area for availability and also looked at their rooms. We were not impressed. Our final call was to the Riverhouse Motor Lodge. We pulled up and looked at the room that was available. This room was a little out dated.... but it was so clean and cozy. Our room had a balcony right above the beautiful creek. It had chairs out there and it was a great way to unwind after a busy day in town. It is also located in the heart of town, nestled back just a little behind the scenes, but I loved that it was so close, easy and convenient to walk anywhere we wanted to go. The staff is super friendly and helpful. We had an electric fire place which was nice with the kids but they also have wood burning fire place rooms as well. It feels like your in a cabin. Much cleaner though. I have nothing bad to say about this place at all. I will definitely be back!!!

Room Tip: I believe mine was room 12. Wonderful experience.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Stayed here a little while back. The room was more spacious than a normal hotel room with a stone fireplace, wood paneling, table with 2 chairs in front of a large picture window looking out towards the river,& 2 older LR chairs with end table. Even though it is dated, it was extremely clean. All rooms have a river view with a nice size balcony to sit on & enjoy the sound & view of nature. I like the fact that there were ramps to get to the 2nd floor, instead of stairs. In my opinion, the mattresses were a little hard. The emergency escape plan on the wall was a 4 X 11 grid pattern with numbers that did not match the layout of the hotel. The continental breakfast was doughnuts & toast with juice or coffee which you had to call and order after 8 am & then was delivered to the room. The biggest downfall for this hotel is that in the office there is a sign that states "smoke free facility", all the rooms I saw said smoke free rooms, there was even a sign inside each room "$150 fine for smoking inside room", yet I saw people smoking everywhere. I enjoy sitting on the balcony but if you have respiratory or breathing problems,as I do, I would not want to be placed in rooms #20, #21, #40 & #41. These rooms are right next to or right above the "smoking area". Even though there was no sign, it was a sitting area with a couple of ashtrays & a flowerpot with cigarette butts. While sitting on the balcony, if the wind was blowing a certain direction, I would get a cloud of smoke come across the balcony. I also had to smell cigarette smoke on the balcony anytime anyone was in the smoking area. I believe some guests were smoking on their balconies. There was also a smokey smell inside the room each time we walked in, but I believe that is from the wood burning fireplace & the smell has permeated into the paneling, it doesn't seem noticeable after a few minutes. The views were beautiful, the location is good and I may stay here again if could request which rooms I would not want.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Unlike a normal motel, this one has not only one door/window that faces the parking lot, but a big window and a balcony facing the river at the back of the room.
For me, this is a huge advantage! In this motel all rooms have a river view.
The room is a bit dark because of trees hiding the sun.
The fire place is nice although I didn't use it.
Location is very good, just a few minutes walk from the main street. Good access to shops and restaurants.
One strange thing, no supermarket in Gatlinburg. I found one, a very nice one, like 4 miles away from the center.
The staff in this hotel kind of ignore me and answered the shortest answer possible my very short question, but this didn't disturb much and I didn't take it personally.
I enjoyed my stay there and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

A nice change from the big brand hotels we normally choose. We loved having a balcony and our stay was very comfy and cozy. We enjoyed Gatlinburg and had a relaxing, romantic weekend getaway in our spacious jacuzzi suite!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Marysville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

This was our fifth trip to Gatlinburg, but our first stay at Riverhouse. We really needed to get away, but could not stay at our usual place because we found ourselves having a strict budget for this vacation Still we didn't want to sacrifice quality, so we chose Riverhouse because of all the excellent reviews.
The hotel is located just minutes from the heart of all the Gatlinburg action, but it offers a quiet and peaceful atmosphere. It was great to "go play" and then be able to take a short walk back to the hotel for a rest. (For those who have never been to Gatlinburg, having to drive through town can be quite a nightmare.) The balcony over the stream was wonderful. We were visited daily by birds and squirrels.
Our room featured some updates, but was outdated in other ways. Riverhouse is not a luxury hotel, but then again it does not claim to be a luxury hotel. Because we spend little time in our room, this did not bother us at all. We are always more concerned with how comfortable and clean the room is (and the room was both comfortable and clean).
The only minor inconveniences we found were that the wireless internet would go in and out. We spend little time on the internet, so it wasn't a big deal. It was just a little frustrating when we were trying to look up a restaurant or attraction. Another issue was that we had very little storage space to unpack. Our room had a huge cabinet underneath the stand that held the microwave and refrigerator, but the floor was a cement slab, so we could not use that space. Plus the microwave was very tiny and we could not really use it for much. All of these issues were minor for us and would not prevent us from staying again.
The staff was friendly and helpful when we called to inquire about accommodations and make reservations (although we would definitely appreciate if we could do this online) and they were also very pleasant during our stay.

ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

The hotel is within walking distance to the main drag in Gatlinburg, making it very convenient. Especially if you want to hit the Moonshine and whiskey places in the area haha!

The room was clean but in need of updating...paneling everywhere...yikes! The beds are comfortable but a bit firm. The river was right outside the door with a huge balcony to sit out and relax. The only problem is the river was high and very VERY loud. With the door closed it sounded like a waterfall was out there. Luckily the moonshine and whiskey helped me fall asleep.. ;)

The water pressure and temperature were great. The breakfast wasn't much, but the hotel price was low so you get what you pay for.

Kennett, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel. My wife and I stayed last year and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The main thing that we liked was spending time on the balcony which overlooked the creek. This year everytime we would go out on the balcony we would smell cigarette smoke. I was under the impression that this was a smoke fee hotel since there was a sign in the office which said so and all of the rooms said nonsmoking. When I first complained I was told by a lady in the office, which I called from my room, that people should not be smoking on the balcony and that she would call them. The next day, which was our second day of a planned three day stay, while out on our balcony, we once again could smell a strong smell of cigarette smoke. I walked over to the office and talked to a man who was working behind the desk and was told that it was hotel policy that people could smoke on their balconies. That made no since to me considering the sign in the office and on the doors to the rooms. However, since we now know the hotel policy, and since the reason that we enjoyed staying at this hotel was the balcony, we will not be going back. We checked out a day earlier and will be looking for another hotel. We can find another hotel for a cheaper price, albeit without a balcony over the creek, which we could not enjoy anyway due to the smoke.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Riverhouse Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!