“Backpacking in the Smokies” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 50 Activities in Gatlinburg
Activities: Backpacking, Hiking
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: REI TOP GUIDE Award, Travel Channel Top choice of things to do in the area. Since 1998, A Walk in the Wood has been your doorway to the Smokies. For 17 years, we have taken over 70,000 people safely into the beautiful National Park on a variety of excursions from driving tours, easy gentle guided walks for families and novices, challenging adventures,to guided backpacking trips on the famous AT and more. We are not just a guide service, all of our guides are top notch educators, passionate about the natural world, storytellers and THE Experts in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the Jewel of the Parks. We can also plan your adventure, rent your gear, shuttle you and help you explore the world of wild edibles and medicines, tasty mushrooms, tracking, birding, salamanders and more.
Apex, North Carolina
“Backpacking in the Smokies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My sons and I had an excellent two-night backpacking experience August 6-8, 2013 on the Big Creek-Mount Sterling Loop with Charles as our guide. He not only knew the trail, but he also shared lots of interesting details about the plants and animals of the area. The hiking was somewhat strenuous at times, but we had plenty of breaks. The equipment provided by A Walk in the Woods was very good. We enjoyed camping out each night. Both of my sons (age 15 and 20) had a great time. We all highly recommend this trip with A Walk in the Woods.

Visited August 2013

Williamsville, New York
8 attraction reviews
“Discover Days Gone By”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We enjoyed Sam's history of the smoky mountain park and learning about early inhabitants of the area Sam was very energetic and keep my whole family entertained. I highly recommend a walk in the woods to provide context to your visit.

Visited August 2013
Bloomington, Indiana, United States
“Do the Walk in the Woods. It's a must.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful day hiking in the Smokey mountains with Jaimie. I would do this hike again and I highly recommend it. Jaimie is very knowledgeable about the plants, animals and the history of the Smokies and it is a wonderful learning experience for all ages! I have been to the Smokies several times over the last forty years and I was looking for something different to do and I came across "A Walk in the Woods" and thought I would give it a try. I am so glad we did too. It's well worth the money for the experience and the educational values.

Lumberton, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Walk for Kids and Adults Alike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our family (ages 8-72) recently took the two hour guided nature hike, Exploring Nature with Children, in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Our guide was Jaimie, and she was just fantastic... cute, great personality, very knowledgeable, and SOOOO good with the children. They had a ball hunting for salamanders, learning about the wildlife and plants... even tasting some, and playing fun games that made then aware of all Mother Nature has to offer. The adults learned a lot, too, and had so much fun exploring the woods with the children. We highly recommend this walk... You'll experience far more with a guide than you will by yourselves! THANK YOU, Jaimie, for a great walk!

Visited July 2013
“Great experience for 1st hike in the Smokies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Since my friend and I didn't have any experience hiking in the Smokies, I booked a moderate hike to Courthouse Rock for our first day. Our guide, Mike, was excellent. He set a pace that was easily doable for us and kept our safety in mind. Mike provided us with wonderful information about the history, ecology, etc. of the Smokies. He also gave us some hiking and survival tips that have already been useful to us in subsequent hikes. Mike clearly loves the park and shared his enthusiasm with us. He provided us with some ideas for other, self guided hike that were off he beaten path. We followed his advice and had two other wonderful hiking experiences on our own. Thanks so much for providing this service. I would highly recommend a guided hike with this company.