“Almost like a resort?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Detroit, Michigan
“Almost like a resort?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

THis hotel was certainly not ordinary farfield Inn, this was a resort like hotel that had a pool with a waterslide, it looked decorated like a mountain themed cabin hotel. The rooms were not that special, but ceratinly very clean and nice. It is good for a vacation, not really passing through

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Service was good. Property is gorgeous. But our room had mold in it or at least a bad moldy smell. I thought I could get used to it (no other rooms available), but I didn't. Made me feel like everything was dirty.

Room Tip: Room 215 is moldy
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice place to stay when visiting Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. If you plan on going between the two places this is a great location but if you want to walk, it's going to be quite a hike. This hotel is a great compromise between high-end super expensive resorts and the seemingly popular "Jim Bob's Motor Lodges" that are everywhere around here.
The room was nice (We got the suite with the in-room jacuzzi tub.). Everything was clean and worked the way it was supposed to. The bed was comfortable and even though our room faced the road, it was very quiet. I usually don't sleep well at hotels and any noise keeps me awake. I didn't have that problem here.
We didn't eat the breakfast and instead opted for Flapjacks Pancakes next to the hotel. It's nice to have that option if you don't want to eat your traditional continental hotel breakfast. It looked like pretty good food though.
The staff was very helpful. The only thing that concerned me was when I called to get reservations. The young man on the phone seemed bored and after taking my name, credit card info, and check-in info, simply said "um ok." and hung up. I was left wondering if I actually had reservations or did I just give my credit info to some random kid on the phone. Luckily everything was in order even though they didn't take my email to send a confirmation.
Again, a great price and location unless you prefer to be at a sketchy "motor lodge" amidst the never ending crowd of sleeveless camo button up shirts and smokers right down town.

• Stayed June 2013
ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I know this review is a little outdated as we stayed a while ago and I never actually got around to putting my feelings about this place into words. The first room we were given was very dirty and ran down. There was mold in the bathroom, wallpaper ripped off, etc. We requested a room change and the front desk was very willing to change rooms for us, no hassle. This was the only good thing I had to say. We didn't catch any grief from them. However, the second room was not much better. This room was dirty, too. It has been a really long time since I've felt so disgusting just by being in a room. Also, the location is not very close to anything. So, hopefully, since I stayed they've done some things to make it better (like renovation and a new cleaning staff).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Gatlinburg North, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We certainly apologize for the problems you encountered during last year's stay with us. We take all complaints seriously and correct issues immediately when brought to our attention. Since last year a lot has happened at our property including some personnel changes, and I will promise you we are always working to improve. Marriott has given us high rankings and scores during their inspections, and any non-working or damaged room amenities have been replaced. Our hotel has strict standards, and our Head Housekeeper is perfectionist. Again, I apologize. I can assure you that you would not encounter a similar problem today. Please give us another try if you ever decide to be on the quiet side of Gatlinburg again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I like this hotel. It was clean, breakfast was good, and staff was great. It's just far enough away from busy downtown Gatlinburg to be comfortable. Nice pools. Beautiful building with a few nice views of some mountains. Gas station close by.

• Stayed July 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed at this Fairfield in Gatlinburg for 2 nights. Since my wife and I enjoy walking, this was a great location. It's the first hotel on the left as you enter Gatlinburg from Pigeon Forge. One big advantage - there's a "package" store about 50 yards away! You can easily walk down into the hustle and bustling areas of Gatlinburg which might be 1 - 1.5 miles away.

The hotel was clean and the service was excellent. Our room had a balcony which overlooked the Fort Crockett mini-golf area. I guess if we had to complain about anything, it might have been the repetitive song that the mini-golf area used. It's not loud and it's really not a drawback.

The breakfast was sufficient, and they had the best cookies each afternoon at the main desk. One very interesting side note, when you see the hotel it appears it's siding is some type of wood. But, when you take a close look, it's actually masonry block with an overlap which makes it appear to be some type of wood siding. It's really a nice looking building and I give cudos to them for their choices.

Room Tip: I'd get a balcony. We sat out on it every night and enjoyed watching folks
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking a moment to tell us about your "Great Experience!" We love hearing about folks coming on vacation and having a good time! That's what it's all about. Believe me, we could hum the Mini-Golf song too,but hey, the kids love it! Please consider us the next time you visit the Smokies, and we'll save some cookies for you!
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This review is actually a combination of 2 stays. Once in April and once in May.

The first stay was excellent. The second stay was mixed.

For the first stay, we booked a whirlpool room. It was spacious and large. No balcony but it was quite a nice view overlooking a stream. The room was clean and everything was in working order. The second stay, we had a standard room. When we checked into the room, there was dirt over the bedding. We promptly notified the front desk attendant who saw first hand what we were talking about. It appeared the sheet was covered with coffee rinds. He stated, he could not change us to a different room because no other rooms were available despite the fact that we checked in early in the afternoon. To his credit, he did change the bedding, but it was still an uneasy feeling.

We really want to like this hotel. Its the only Marriott property located in Gatlinburg. If you need more than the Fairfield breakfast, there is a pancake house located next door. The miniature golf course on property is a fun course! (not quite as good as Ripleys Old McDonald in Pigeon Forge, but run by the same company)

The location is on the north end of Gatlinburg. It is somewhat of a blessing because traffic isn't bad around the hotel, but unfortunately, the hotel is a bit isolated from the action. From the hotel it is a 10-15 minute walk to downtown Gatlinburg. If you don't want to walk, you can take the Trolley which drops you off right in front of the hotel (just be sure to verify the shuttle times - last shuttle 9PM??)

Hot chocolate and cookies are provided during the evening, which adds a nice touch. Breakfast is standard Fairfield fare and staff do an excellent job of keeping items stocked. There is a small outdoor pool with a waterslide.

So what does this all mean? We're not sure which of our experiences was the norm. We'll certainly give this hotel another try.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Gatlinburg North? Share your experiences!