I received a solicitation mailing for a weekend stay in exchange for enduring the time share sales pitch. So, the girlfriend and I decided to give it a shot. The resort itself is quite nice - the desk staff were courteous & friendly, as were the concierge, market staff and all other employees we encountered. We both smoke - so that was the first issue. We sacrificed a better/larger unit with a fireplace for a smaller one w/no fireplace in order to gain a balcony. Our unit was quite comfortable, w/king bedroom, small dining nook, kitchen, separate living area and bath. Decent sized flat screen TV's in B/R and L/R; kitchen table for two; bath w/jacuzzi tub & shower; nice balcony w/great view and seating for two. Kitchen included full sized range/oven, microwave, full sized fridge w/ice maker (but no ice on arrival), sink/disposal & coffee pot (but no coffee/filters on arrival). Kitchen had simple compliment of dishes/pans/utensils, etc. & thankfully, a wine corkscrew ! Unit was clean and odor free when we arrived & adequately stocked w/bath & kitchen towels, blankets & linens.
The location of the resort was quite good for us, i.e. not right on the main street or even off a block - plenty of privacy from all the crowds. For others preferring to be 'in the heart of things' a drive is required in to either Gatlinburg (5 mins or less) or North on the Parkway to Pigeon Forge (20 mins or so).
And now for the bad news - our trip quoted 90 mins. for the time share presentation. Granted, they did provide a mid-quality buffet breakfast and our sales rep was very personable. We actually didn't mind the pitch too terribly due to her great personality. But at the end of the allotted 90 mins, it was as if she really thought keeping us another hr or so would allow her to close the deal. So, our encounter with the first Closer was well into the second hour. And the first closer tried every trick in the book; we remained courteous & polite, but firm. Maybe that was our mistake - too nice ! By the time she finally surrendered, the 2nd closer gave up after only 5 mins or so. But the entire pitch was stretched out to almost 4 hrs. Yep, our fault - so be forewarned - they are relentless and do not quit easily; you will be there forever if you allow them to continue.
Overall though - we did enjoy the trip and would return. I would stay at the resort again and would probably even choose it over just a normal hotel given a choice. And would think it great for a family w/small kids - lots of amenities for them, including a very large indoor water park. We were there during late Jan/early Feb, and we're both in late 50's, so had no interest/need for some of the resort's available activities due either to time of year or personal preference. Other than the sales pitch, our largest complaint was the price gouging on their captive audience - internet service was quoted as $10 bucks/day, coffee & ice available only in the 'Market' where they happily charge $5 bucks for a cup of coffee and prices that would make any convenience store drool for chips, sodas, etc. . .. . Stock up on all the munchies before your go . .. .. and hope your cell phone gets good reception (our Sprint service did well).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Westgate Smoky Mountain resort in Gatlinburg, Tennessee is the perfect place to enjoy the beauty of nature, and a short drive to Dollywood, antique shops, and restaurants. Enjoy nature trails that take you from your cabin into the wooded forest of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Suite villas feature a fully equipped kitchen, and whirlpool tub in the master bathroom. Guests can enjoy two large swimming pools and an indoor water park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, AAA Travel Services, Expedia, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westgate Smoky Mountain Hotel Gatlinburg
- Westgate Smoky Mountain Gatlinburg
- Westgate Resort Gatlinburg
- Westgate Resort Tennessee
- Westgate Tennessee
- Westgate Smokey Mountain Resort
- Gatlinburg Westgate