“Bad and Good” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 86 hotels in Gatlinburg
South Lyon, Michigan
“Bad and Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Bad: Check in was the worst that I have ever experienced. First, the messed up our reservation. We were traveling with another couple and their two kids and they had us booked for a villa when we had reserved a two-bedroom cabin. We waited two hours before it was settled. With four kids under the age of 8 they made us wait after 9 hours of traveling. For our troubles we were comped with week passes to the water park. A nice gesture but we weren't going to do that every day. I also think the water park is overrated and it got a little boring the second time around. Next was the gym. When I first went to the gym two treadmills were out of order and the third treadmill died when I was on it Tuesday. I was told that they would get to it by the end of the day. My last day they still weren't fixed. Lastly, the van service around the resort left you waiting often. I almost forgot, the WiFi was a joke. You pay $40 for one device, and it was weak. They seriously need to update this service.

With that said, now the good.

Good: The location, nestled between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg you can't find a better location for a resort. Loved waking up to mountains in every location. I also thought thr rooms were spacious and it was enough room with 8 people. Aside from the mix up and the front desk service, I think the service around the resort was great. They were all friendly and offered a wave, also the guards were very nice. Our concierge, Dan, was very sympathetic to our initial issues and kept in contact throughout the week. Thank you Dan!

I thought as the week went on it got better. I would give this place one more try and I now know to check with the place prior to my arrival.

Stayed July 2013
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We truly appreciate your comments about your recent stay with us. Please accept our apologies in regard to your reservation and Wi-Fi. The issues encountered by you will be shared with management in order to make sure we are providing the best service we can. We are happy that Dan was able to assist you during your vacation. Thank you for staying with us and please come back to visit us again in the future!

1,292 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Sandersville, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

While in downtown Gatlinburg, we were approached by a guy to tour the WG Resort and in return they would give us an all you can eat buffet lunch, $100 in cash and free laser golf tickets. My husband did not want to do it, but we decided to go ahead and see the resort. It was suppose to be a 90 min tour. We meet with our salesman, Kevin. He was just a nice as he could be the whole time he was doing his pitch. The resort is a very nice resort, but I wouldn't buy it for $10 after the expierence we had. Kevin bragged about owning 4 of his own and how much he rented them out for. Told me to pick a restort that I would like to stay at, in my destination choice. I picked one and wouldn't you know that he and his wife had stayed at the very same resort for 12 days? The buffett? It was hotdogs and chips. After being in the presentation for about 2.5 hours, I mentioned to him that it was well past the 90 mins. His response was, "Well, you did eat". After showing us this astronomical amount, we told him no. He put on the show then. The "wow" I am sorry show. Let me get my manager. Manager comes over and gives me a much lower price because I am a nurse. Ha! How convienent! At one point, they asked me how many carets my wedding ring was and that they would trade me. Even if they were joking, my cool and calm husband got instantly pissed. After telling them no and Kevin continuing to pressure us, my husband told him to stop. Kevin even looked at my 10 yo son and said, "you could have had this waterpark, but instead, you are going to Splash" Then he said he was going to get someone from Corporate. To me, that was a huge turn off. I wouldn't want it as a gift that this point. Kevin was the rudest and most condecending sales rep that I have ever met. He also told me that we would never be able to stay at Westgate if we were not owners. I know this guys have a job, but he was over the top rude!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for advising us about your recent visit. We apologize if a member of our sales team made you uncomfortable-that is not our intent. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, as we will work to ensure this does not happen again. It is our hope to have another opportunity to provide you with a relaxing stay.
Belleville, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We have been Westgate owners for 11 years now. We visited this beautiful location 9 years ago when there were few villas built. We had a wonderful time then. However, now the area is over built, and has poor staff. From check in the staff asked for our cell number 2 hours later we find our reservation was pushed aside as we were not "in the room". The staff did not seemed concern, there was a mix up that we were to be in the "cabin" area yet we were booked in the "5 story building". Which actually turned out to be a godsend as we would have had to wait 20 to 30 minutes for a ride up the mountain after a long day, the pool was packed and few chairs available due to the size of the area everyday. There are only two pools on site both being packed with patrons. The water park was also packed with families and children. The area was like Disneyland on steroids. When we did have a question and approached the counters with no other patrons around we were ignored by staff and a few times we walked away from them without having been acknowledged. On the fourth day we were supposed to have room service. On day five we called three different numbers as directed until we found the right person to service us. The internet service was poor. We were unable to get a signal most of the time to look up addresses etc. When calling the help line for the internet they were prompt and pleasant but offered no further help as the poor to low signal could not be fixed. The employees smoke to the left of the property and when we walked around to get to our car (parking a problem) there were 100's of cigarette butts litter on the ground. (They can use an ashtray out there so as not to litter the environment). Of all the resorts we have traveled this was not a Westgate travel spot we will come back to. Especially with them planning on numerous other villas to be built and the traffic that will come with it. Sad. The area is quite beautiful. Grab a cabin on the outskirts of town and enjoy the tranquility that is surrounding Gatlinburg.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We always love hearing back from our valued owners. We strive to provide an exceptional vacation experience that exceeds expectations and we apologize that we fell short. We will certainly share your review with our staff, as we are always looking for areas to improve. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Easton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Lets start with check in .Did not appreciate being called baby the whole time .Also didn't like the sales pressure as soon as we arrived. We just traveled 10 hours needed to unwind. The Villa was beautiful .Except for the wet towels left in the dryer. Buildings noise level was to loud for my likings. Had to check out a day early my husband got extremely sick .They wouldn't refund or discount our bill. Then as were leaving someone is cleaning pool area and throws a bucket of water on our car as we drive by. And being on top of the mountain was a real inconvience .You could just watch your gas drop as we climbed it.Would not return .They make it out like you get this great service and its not there once you check in .Don't waste your time. And talking with some of the owners we got the real picture .

Room Tip: Wouldn't know our building was just loud kids,young adults yelling .Walls are paper thin yo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your review. We strive to provide an exceptional vacation experience that exceeds guest’s expectations and we apologize that we fell short. We will certainly share your review with our staff, as we are always looking for areas to improve. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Waverly Hall, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I love my home away from home! We have been owners for 4 years and went from a one bedroom in the cabins to a 2 bedroom in the 3000 building. We are able to wake up each morning with a marvelous view of the Smoky Mountains and Mt. LeConte especially and end the evening with watching fireworks from Dollywood and one evening observing the wildlife (AKA Black Bear) from our balcony. It is a wonderful experience for the grandchildren who couldn't stay away from Wild Bear Falls, the largest indoor water park in the Southeast. They also enjoyed one of the two pools and the arcade. A new addition was the ice cream "truck" with basic, but good flavors available. The resort provides transportation within the grounds and a stop to take a trolly into Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Cherokee, NC or elsewhere. Love that I don't have to drive where I want to go and save my frustration AND money!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed so many things about Westgate Smoky Mountain! We appreciate your review, thanks for sharing your story. We are glad that you and your family were able to enjoy the indoor water park and our latest addition to the resort, the “ice cream truck”. Your family was able to witness our wildlife, which is very rare and amazing! We would be honored if you would come back and see us soon!
Somerset, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is our first visit to Westgate Smokey Mountain Resort. I am truly amazed at this resort. It is clean, comfortable, safe and fun. The staff responds to your needs, and goes above and beyond for guest enjoyment and comfort. The pool areas are clean, plenty of towels and lifeguards. My daughter loved the water park. There were plenty of activities on the resort itself that a family would not have to leave and spend a lot of money anywhere else. The resort is close to Pigeon Forge if you want to have dinner, take a bus tour, see a show, etc. I hope to be able to come back soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We are so happy that you had a great time. All of our staff is there to make you feel comfortable and we strive for our staff to be very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. We are thrilled you were able to take advantage of our pools and waterpark. We really look forward to you and your family staying with us again in the future!
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

When I saw the pics online I thought the resort was gorgeous... It was nice but different than I expected. I thought as guests we would have access to the water park (we would've had to pay regular price if we went)... the pools were crowded. The walls are thin so we could hear parents screaming at their children. Overall I think the resort is average and slightly overpriced.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It was our delight to have you stay us. We understand you had some concerns during your stay. Guest feedback is vital, so that we can provide the best service we can. We would hope that you will return to our resort to allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Been to Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!