“Westgate Resort "not so premier"” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off Room Rate
Ranked #21 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Westgate Resort "not so premier"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The magazine described the resort as "the premier of the smokies". Well, a staffer must have wrote the review. Now, let's get the truth out.
We were placed way up the hill, in the oldest section up from the reception center. We had to park down the hill and lug all our stuff up the hill. It was impossible to park near our unit. My wife has a handicap pass, but there was no handicap parking. When I mentioned that, my concierge asked if I had requested that. I said I did not know I was supposed to. And she basically said "oh well".
The initial push to tour the resort in hopes I would purchase a timeshare was strong at check in. Once I said no, I felt a cold shoulder at once.
And as the concierge checked our room and noticed things missing, she brushed it off and said just to call if we needed anything.
Well, we called a lot, because we needed a lot.
Towels, sheets, kitchen items, soaps, paper towels, wow and much more.
Now about the unit we stayed in. Not at all like the pictures.
The kitchen re-design was awful. The sink leaked. The dishwasher was old and loud.
The walls and floors were paper thin, and the kids jumping off the couch at 3 am upstairs prompted complaints from me to my loving neighbors.
The tiles in all the rooms were cracked and coming apart. Members of my family and I tripped several times.
I almost fell off the porch as the lower rail was rooted away. And that was also the source of bees, that keep us off the porch.
The fireplace did not work.
We were supposed to have a Jacuzzi tub, but we had a tub with 4 jets in it.
The shower leaked due to poor design where the curtain and handle met.
If we had clean feet or socks, just a ten foot walk on the floor, and you were filthy.
The main check in center was very nice looking.
The people that were not trying to sell me a timeshare were very nice.
This was a big resort, and the 2 pools were far apart and crowded, as they were not that big.
I was told I had to pay for the indoor water park. I was told owners were free. They need to learn their own policy. Owners got $5 off. From what I could see, the indoor water park looked very clean and well run, but we did not use it.
I am sure I missed something, but this will do.
I am sure that this resort must have some better units, but until I see or stay in one, if I went back, I could not in good faith recommend this resort to anyone I considered a friend.

Room Tip: Ask for a newer building up on the hill.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to read that your stay was not as satisfactory as you expected. We are always looking to improve and your feedback is of great help. During times of high occupancy, our parking situation sometimes can be challenging. Please accept our apologies if you were inconvenienced. It is definitely not our intention to make you feel pressured in any way from anyone on our staff; however, we do offer the opportunity to all of our guests and owners to take a tour and with that, receive certain incentives, with no obligations. Guest satisfaction is out top priority and we regret that we fell short during your stay. We do hope that you will allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
Moore, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We own property at Westgate Branson Woods so we were able to spend three nights at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort. The staff were friendly and didn't pressure us to take a tour of the property. We are very done with that! The room was absolutely beautiful. We stayed on the second floor which was spacious and had a beautiful deck next to a waterfall. We did have upstairs neighbors which were quite noisy after they came in for the day. I don't believe it was any fault of their own but just very thin walls. We also shared a washer/dryer. I had put a load of clothes in and they moved my clothes unbeknowst to me to the dryer. Thank heavens they were not ruined. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was very clean. I did find it slightly irritating that coffee was not provided daily as it is at Branson Woods. We loved the location of the resort since it was out of the hustle and bustle of the tourist traps but close to the Smoky Mountains. Parking was a bit overwhelming. We had to park a long distance from our unit one evening. There is a large water park on the premises that we did not use but it looked very family friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad you enjoyed so many things about Westgate Smoky Mountains! We appreciate your review, thanks for sharing your story. We pride ourselves in many things, from superior customer service, to our beautiful grounds. During times of high occupancy, our parking situation sometimes can be challenging. Please accept our apologies if you were inconvenienced. We would be honored if you would come back and see us soon!
Blythewood, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Pros --We loved the location, the views are awesome, plenty to do in the area, beds are comfortable, condos are decent. Cons-- a lot of stairs, maintenance can be iffy. My family had 2 condos (1 bedroom & a studio). We were there for 3 nights. The larger unit had toilet issues and problems with the bathroom door. Maintenance repaired it twice. The smoke alarm went off at 1:15am at the studio on our 2nd night. The device was located about 15 ft above the bed. Security responded in 20-25 mins after the initial call to guest services. The officer that responded was helpful. Guest services told us that the only thing they could do was move us to a different location because no one on site had access to the tall ladder. This was about 2am. With the help of the officer we moved to another unit next door.... thank goodness it was available. This unit did not appear to be set up for guests but we didn't want to complain--- we finally got to bed at 2:45 am. The morning brought several problems, there were no towels and it appeared that the full cleaning had not been completed. There was a used bandage was stuck to the bathroom sink. There was also a panty liner from a bathing suit stuck to the edge of the Jacuzzi tub. The Jacuzzi had a leak. The beds, bathroom and living areas appeared to be clean but we were a little leery. The 1st unit appeared to be clean. We loved this mountain resort and all of its amenities but felt that there were too many maintenance calls for such a short period of time. All calls to maintenance, housekeeping and guest services had quick responses.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed our convenient location and our comfortable beds. We also apologize for the maintenance issue as this is certainly not our standard of service. We take pride in our exceptional service and will work with them to improve going forward. Again, please accept our apologies and we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Killen, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The grounds are beautiful, the staff is great, the waterpark is fun and the condos are nicely decorated. Here's the problem the walls & floors are very thin. You can hear every step your neighbor makes. We are owners and love it here but next time we come we are requesting a top floor room. The stairs are worth the walk up with luggage in turn for quiet quarters and no one walking on your ceiling.

Room Tip: the 300 block backs up to the road not the mountians. Request a top floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We love to receive reviews where our owners had a great time at Westgate Smoky Mountain! It is good to know you were able to enjoy our beautiful grounds and the waterpark. We are always looking to improve and your feedback is of great help, we hope that you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.
East Flat Rock, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We also own here, bought a half-share (a week every other year) while on our honeymoon in 2004. We have never had a problem with Westgate, either here or Orlando, but we decided to trade our half-share in Orlando for a full share in a pedestal unit in Gatlinburg. It's only two hours from home, and Gatlinburg is beautiful any time of the year. We leave home Saturday for a week there, and with all the rain we have had so far, we don't have to worry because we have the indoor water park and a jacuzzi in our room. It will be our first stay in the pedestal, as we had to bank our weeks the last two years. The staff is prompt and friendly, the facilities are clean and well-kept. My only annoyance is feeling like we have to take a tour of the property every time we go, even though we have what we want and are entirely uninterested in buying more. Otherwise, I can't say enough about Westgate in general and Smoky Mountains in specific. If I find anything different on this year's vacation, I will report it, but I don't expect it. I brag on the resort to friends and consider it five stars.

Room Tip: We have a pedestal and the last two times have stayed on top of the mountain near the pedestal units...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate and value your feedback. We are happy that you loved the place and were able to enjoy the indoor waterpark provided by the resort. It is a real pleasure to know we have succeeded in providing a quality vacation experience that exceeded your expectations. On behalf of the entire Westgate Team, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back very soon!
Biloxi, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I always check tripadvisor before booking a hotel/resort, but I must have missed something here. Therefore, I am writing this review for anyone interested in booking a STUDIO room. I will be fair and give our list of pros and cons.
The STUDIO is nothing more than a hotel room. Our room rate was $107.00 per night (senior rate), but after they added the daily "resort fee" of $10.00 plus 14% taxes, the room cost us $132.32. You will pay a resort fee of $10.00 for each night you stay, plus approx. 14% in taxes. Why we paid a resort fee??? I guess to keep the flowers watered and the entry gate people paid. We certainly did not receive any special privileges They do assign you a conceriege, but they will try to talk you into attending a luncheon which discusses purchasing a time-share. We politely declined 3 times. We were there to relax and in no mood for high pressure sales pitches.
The STUDIO is good for two people, but three would be a crowd. Yes, there is a undercounter refrigerator, a small sink, a two-burner stove, a toaster and coffee pot, but you must provide your own coffee(they will give you one "free" pack). There are pots, dishes, glassware, and silverware, but don't plan on doing much cooking. There is not enough room on the small counter for much of anything other than the before mentioned items. Also, you will have to eat on the coffee table.
There is NO bathtub, only a large shower, which was nice for us, but not good if you need to bathe young children. There was some mold on the shower wall, which concerned me that the shower may not have been disinfected with bleach. There is a washer/dryer in the foyer, convenient yes, but our neighbor liked to wash clothes at midnight! Very noisy! You must empy your own trash and make your own bed. We stayed 5 nights and no maid service. You can call Housekeeping if you need something and they will come, but you have to call and request. The same goes for clean towels. If you need them, then you must either wash the ones you have or call and have some delivered. They won't even put them in the bathroom. Ours were placed in a plastic bag just inside our door.
There is a nice, leather sofa/sleeper in the room. BUT if you plan to pull it out and use it you will have to put the heavy coffee table outside of the room. There is NO room for both. Even with the coffee table removed, you will be stepping over the sofa/sleeper just to get to the bathroom. Also, you will be sleeping in a queen size bed, not King.
If you want a larger room, they are available and very nice, but you will pay a PREMIUM price. The location is perfect for traveling between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. The resort is located outside of the heavily congested areas. The staff was very friendly, except for one of the conceriege ladies who would not move her golf cart so we could park. She was "saving" it for one of her clients. Parking is tight. The STUDIO rooms do NOT have a balcony, and our room overlooked the parking lot (bldg. C, 4th floor). Not a very pretty view.
We only saw one pool on sight and it was packed and too small for such a large resort. I believe there was another pool, although smaller somewhere else on sight. There is the smell of sewer also when you are outside.The resort was very well manicured with beautiful flowers. The Marketplace was like a small convenience store for supplies, however, I paid $4.00 for 1/2 gallon of milk. Get you a Food City customer card and shop there. You can get one online for free and you will save a lot of money doing your shopping there.
There is a indoor waterpart for the young kiddos onsite(although not free, and is pricey!) There are a couple of restaurants on site, but we didn't eat there, so I cannot judge whether good or bad. There is a shuttle on site that takes you to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. I think it cost about .75 cents.
Would I stay there again? Probably not. There were not enough pros to entice us to return. Nice hotels with maid service and kitchenettes are abundant in this area.

Room Tip: In short, if you are looking for a hotel room for 1-2 people then book the STUDIO. If you are bringi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay and for any inconveniences they may have caused. We have taken note of each matter you have had and will pass them on to the appropriate members of our staff. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. Guest satisfaction is out top priority and we regret that we fell short during your stay. The issues you experienced are very rare and we do hope that you will allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
North Brookfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This resort was nice when you first look at it , however, there is know sound proofing

between units, we could hear everything. Their washer and dryer is station between the front
of the units. You can hear that going all hours of the night.

The worst part is, their ventilation is really bad. The unit next to us cook their supper, and
breakfast. The smell came into our unit, and it took hours for the smell to leave. We booked
a three night stay, and left after one night. When complain at the front desk about the smell,
we were told ...they must of just cooked something bad....hello ...it's your ventilation. It doesn't
matter what someone cooked. My unit stunk for hours...

In my opinion, the resort is over priced for what you have to put up with..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to read that your stay was not as satisfactory as you expected. We have taken note of the issues you mentioned and we are working diligently on them to maximize future experiences. We hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Been to Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!