“Had a good time...it was ok.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off Room Rate
Ranked #21 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Tupelo, Mississippi
“Had a good time...it was ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed at the very top of the resort in one of the 4 story condo buildings. The room was nice, but we did have some issues. I hated the LG washer/dryer combo. It's a steam dryer and therefore doesn't get clothes completely dry. I spent most of our week washing 5 items at a time and then hanging them up to finish drying. There is a shuttle that comes around the resort every 20-25 minutes, but there aren't many sidwalks for just strolling around, which would be nice. The tv remote didn't work, so we did call maintenance about it. We were never approached about a time share tour. (Except on the strip in Gatlinburg, and that person didn't know where we were staying.) Each employee was kind and helpful, so we had no complaints there.

We only paid $99/night for a one bedroom condo, and I feel that we got our money's worth.

Room Tip: Take enough clothes for the whole trip.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

We purchased the timeshare back in 2008 while on vacation in Gatlingburg. Finally used it in 2010. When we bought this we were shown a room with a balcony and we told Jeff we wanted a room with a balcony.
What we got when we checked in was a room with no balcony. When we complained, we got the run around for an entire day. The explaination was, "Those rooms weren't even available when you bought it back in 2008, so I don't know why you thought that is what you purchased." LIes, Lies, Lies, I specifically asked for the cheapest balcony, which at the time was a better room than the cheapest studio room.
I pay a cleaining /maintenance fee every two years, so why when i turned on the ceiling fan a whole bunch of dust bunnies fell all over me and the bed? Really was bad because I was soaked from getting out of the tub. The tub jets had skin folicles coming out of them too. gross!!!

The horse stables were there and the horses, we also were told this was included with our purchase. But when we arrived in 2010, the horses were gone and I was told rennovations were being done and that horse back riding would incurr a fee. another scam...

The smores get together around the campfire is a crock too...$2.00 for one smore,,,bologna if you ask me..
The restaurant had slow service and by the time I received my food, the food was cold.
no tip ther...wonder why?

This place is a scam,,,,I hear nothing but lies from everyone that worked there. I will never go back and can't wait till it is paid off. what a waste of money and time, This was the worst vacation in the world... I complained to them and to the better business bureau...If you want a relaxing vacation go somehwere else.

Room Tip: Buy from another place.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Many other reviews on this property - overall a very nice resort. If you are a time share owner, then this is a 4+ star resort, if a guest or Interval international owner, then a 3.5 star resort. Very nice unit (we stayed in one of the lower on the hill units) with all the necessities. Surprisingly, they have 2 large condo type units on top of the hill with amazing views. Mgt does nickle and dime you to death, $13 extra per person for the indoor water park, $50 per week for wi-fi, no daily newspaper, etc. They have 2 outdoor pools which are small - in the summer it must get very crowded.
Many other reviewers have commented about the noise from other units. Yes, it is a problem, you can hear the people above you walking across the floor and flushing the toilet. We didn't have anyone staying in the room next to us, but I would think you could hear them also.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on
Wapwallopen, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I am a Westgate timeshare owner who exchanged my FL unit for TN unit. When I first tried to book it, I was told I would have to pay an "upgrade" fee ($500) in addition to the exchange fee ($140) unless I booked within 30 days of my arrival date. I waited until 4/15/11 to book the week of 5/15/11-5/22/11 to avoid the "upgrade" fee. Upon our arrival, check in was a breeze and the staff was very courteous and friendly. We actually had two rooms to equal the size of my FL timeshare (2BR/2Baths). The set up was a bit unusual but ended up working out wonderfully! My husband and I stayed in the deluxe room while my 3 grown children (ages 20, 21 & 23) stayed in the upstairs standard room. Both rooms were equipped w/full size kitchens, king size bed and sleeper sofa in the living rooms. The rooms are very spacious and clean. Just a note that the bedroom walls are VERY thin as we could hear the couple in the cabin next to us (if you know what I mean). All essential items to prepare meals were provided (not including food). Anytime we called housekeeping/maintenance or the front desk, the staff was very courteous and attentive in responding to our needs in a very efficient manner. The resort is conveniently located between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge/Sevierville areas and only takes minutes to get to nearby attractions, souvenir shops, restaurants, etc. There is a trolley that runs from the resort to these areas as well for a very small fee (which I would recommend to go the Gatlinburg area because parking fees are a bit high there). The concierge was very knowledgable and helped make reservations and provided money-saving coupons. There is an onsite, indoor waterpark which is geared more for little children, but there is an arcade on the 2nd floor. The only downside is that they were only open until 5 pm. They also enjoyed time at the heated pool at night after spending the day at nearby attractions. Overall, we were very happy with our visit and can't wait to go back in the very near future!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I have to admit, when i was getting ready to book this last trip to the Smokey's and was trying to decide where to stay, I was scared to death about actually putting pen to paper on booking with Westgate, but, all the bad reviews, i believe, just HAVE to be wrong.

By the list:
Cleanliness: Our room and the hotel itself were immaculate. I had no misgivings about walking though my hotel room barefoot. The bathroom was very nice.

Service: I read some reviews about not being able to get soap or shampoo, but we were given plenty and ENCOURAGED to ask for more if we needed it. It was that way with towls or toilet paper or whatever. If we would have wanted them too they would have delivered groceries from their on site general store. We only had one problem on Check-in, but that had more to do with Orbitz than Westgate. Check-in was so fast (after they found our reservation that Orbitz had messed up) and the guy who took care of us stayed so calm under pressure, even after i was less than calm. The guy who showed us to our room was really nice and gave us a tour of our tiny Studio room. The people at the Spa were great and my wife and I got a couples massage that was phenomenal. We were NEVER approached about a time share presentation, not once. In fact, no even mentioned time shares to us, accept when we were asked if we were members when using resort services.
Location: Location was great. The resort is right outside Gatlinburg across from the welcome center.
Value: Great
Rooms: I think i covered that
Sleep Quality: The walls were thin, but the most noise i ever noticed was the sound of a toilet flushing.

New South
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Lots of little things just go to show the staff and management team don't really try.

1) I was the only person in line. Four people working the check in desk took them 5 min to notice me and 20 to complete the check in process. This was with a reservation. Guess they could have lost it.

2) Studio was tiny. The bed was jammed up against a wall. So only one person could easily get in and out of bed.

3) Room heater did not work until the temp was turned up to 79 degrees. At least it worked.

4) The radio alarm was going off when we walked into the room. It was also stuck on 2:30. I am grateful we did not need a clock.

5) The TV remote did not work and 2 requests for a replacement or batteries were ignored or lost.

6) Changing TV channels manually would cause the volume to either be non existent or blare loudly enough to be heard in the parking lot.

7) Having to climb four sets of stairs was tough on my wife who has balance issues. Fortunately she only fell twice. We did call 1234 and request another room we were told they would get back to us and that it was a "pleasure to serve us". That phrase is what they use when they are paying no attention to you.

8) We rented this room for a four night stay. No timeshare involved. The person that escorted us to the room wanted us to set up an appointment so he could "count the dishes" as many people steal them. He wanted to count them at 1:00 the day BEFORE we checked out. Apparently 20 some hours does not give most people time to steal a few cup and saucers. SCAM and not a good one.

10) The restaurant was ok if you like cold coffee, burnt sausage, items left off the order and no butter for the burnt but cold toast. The server also wanted me to sign and fill out the ticket completely "including her tip" before she picked up the charge card. Yet she left me no pen to fill out anything. Ten minutes later I had a pen. Another 15 minutes passed she still had not picked up the check. There was only one other couple left in the dining area. Good news we did not get food poisoning.

11) I requested a wakeup call as the room did not have an alarm clock. Of course I did not receive one. When I called 1234 to state that the wakeup call system did not work I was cheerfully told "thats good, and it's a pleasure to serve you" I was then hung up on.

I am writing this review because Westgate, "it's a pleasure to serve you."

• Stayed May 2011
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

I recently stayed at the Westgate Smokey Mountain Resort for 3 nights and added another night at the end so 4 nights. My fiance works for Westgate in Florida so we got a really good rate and stayed at the highest room in the resort and had the most amazing view. I loved the weather as well. All the nights were around 40 degrees F and the days were around 70 degrees F with not a lo of sun which was lovely getting a break from everyday Florida sun.

The downtown Gatlinburg was also a great area to walk around and shop. I took the trolley from our Westgate resort to the Ripleys Aquarium and walked the rest of the way. I would highly recommend taking a trip here. Some previous people who have stayed may not have liked the lack of up to date televisions or things in the room but starting at the top of the resort Westgate did remodel the rooms which we were lucky enough to stay in.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!