“Decent Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 86 hotels in Gatlinburg
Central Indiana
“Decent Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here for one night. We had booked a queen room with balcony. The room was very nicely furnished and the balcony was nice. Bed was comfy. We didn't get to use the pool. The seal on the door to the balcony could use to be replaced, as it allowed more road noise than it should've but we are heavy sleepers so it didn't matter to us. Employees were great, location was good....would definitely stay there again, but in a bigger King or 2 queen bed room, this room was pretty tiny but fine for one night for two people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sleepinngatlinburgtn, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am happy our staff, your room, and the continental breakfast met your vacation expectations on your recent stay. We would like to thank you for staying with us. Our maintenance department has been notified that the balcony door seal needs to be checked or replaced. We appreciate you bringing the issue to maintenance attention.
Our staff looks forward to your next visit.

262 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Hudsonville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Great place to stay in G-burg. Close, yet out of the crowds. Very clean and quiet. Heather and the rest of the staff were great! Great location for hiking the National Park trails East of the city off 321. Good b-fast for hikers before a day on the trails. Thanks, Heather, for an enjoyable stay. I'll be back. JB

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Our staff thank you for the positive feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared with Heather and the staff the kind words you had for them. It is our pleasure to be of service to our guests and our staff strives to ensure a positive guests experience for each one.
See you on your return visit!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

The staff is very friendly. Heather really makes sure you enjoy your stay! Rooms are clean. Public areas are clean. Outstanding!! We have been staying here for over 10 years and will be back next year!

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out such a fantastic review! I have shared your comments with my front desk staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We are excited to hear of your return visit again to our hotel in the future.
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Enjoyed our time, pool was great (granddaughter loved it). Breakfast was good. Staff was extremely helpful. Had to shorten our stay by a day and we had used a third party arrangement. Heather was great and very helpful in dealing with the whole situation. Room was clean and quiet. The gentleman at the front desk was also helpful with any questions we had about directions and hotel accommodations. This was a great value for the price and located just out enough from the hustle and bustle of downtown, yet was walkable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Our staff thank you for your wonderful comments you shared with us. I am glad our staff was helpful to you. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and for the "Excellent Hotel ans Service" rating. We are looking forward to your next visit.
Davis, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I am 95% certain that Room 511 has bed bugs. My husband got 5 or 6 bites overnight. I looked it up on Web MD and the bites look exactly like bed bug bites. Not sure about the rest of the hotel, but I would recommend staying away until the problem is resolved. We avoided the pool and hot tub. Looked very dirty. Everything else about the stay was fine, updated rooms-flat screen TV, comfortable beds-but now I have to decontaminate everything we had in the room for fear of taking the bugs home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sleepinngatlinburgtn, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Our guests are very important to us. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while staying at our property. Each month our property is serviced by a licensed professional pest control company. We do our best to provide a nice clean room that is pest free. Last year we updated each room with new beds, mattresses, bedding, carpet, curtains, art work and flat screen TV's. At that time we placed Bed Bug Protective Covers on each bed as a preventive measure. The room in question has been inspected and found to be Bed Bug free.
Our pool area: heated pool, lazy river, and hot tub receives high scores on inspections each month from the health department. We have spoken with our maintenance department concerning your comment about the the pool area.
Thank you for your kind words about our rooms. We would be delighted for you to be our guest again on your next visit to Gatlinburg.
Greenville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I booked our room for a two night stay over memorial day weekend in advance, paying in full for a discounted rate. We arrived at midnight after having had to go straight to our dinner show upon arrival in town because of traffic, and then having dinner out afterwards. We were given the last room in the hotel - a first floor room overlooking the pool. Immediately upon entering the room was VERY humid - just like the indoor pool that it overlooked. We put the AC on immediately to try to dry the room out - but it never dried out. The room was humid and smelled like an indoor pool the entire time we were there.
20 minutes after our arrival, my friend and i both noticed flying bugs - i found one crawling in my hair, and she found three crawling on the sheets of her bed. At first I thought it must have flown in with us, but after seeing the few on the bed I told her to check near the window. She moved the curtain aside to reveal a SWARM of termites accumulated from the ceiling to nearly the floor. We saw a hole in the wall near the heater through which they must have been entering. We immediately got the night manager who, while very nice, immediately got a can of industrial bug spray and started spraying the swarm without even warning us. The room was completely full of fumes, and he said that that was all he could do. We were stuck, at 12:40 am, and they had no other rooms. Instead of reaching out to another hotel to find us a habitable room ON THEM - the hotel manager told us he'd document it for the day staff. Because I'd paid for the room already I could not afford to lose the money I'd spent - so we were stuck. Upon checkout I asked for compensation - thinking a refund of one night's fee was fair. I was first offered only 20 Dollars, and then had to settle for 57 dollars, which was not the total of one night's stay. I was e-mailed a survey from Sleep Inn after my stay, where I reported all of this, and all I got back was an e-mail assuring me that the hotel was spraying for termites and fixing the hole. Nice info - but that doesn't make up for having to sleep in a fumes in a bug infested room. I should also note that there was black mold in the seams in the shower - a large patch that is pretty noticeable and ridiculous that it was not cleaned by their staff.
Bottom line - the reviews I read were mixed, so perhaps its on me for not taking the previous poor reviews into account before booking the room, but I figured they were random occurrences. I have to say that unless you want to gamble with your lodging experience, I'd avoid this place. Not only do they not care about their facility, but service and customer satisfaction are not a priority either. As an avid traveler who has stayed in all sorts of resorts/hotels/motels, I could not believe this experience or how it was dealt with. Avoid this place.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, do not stay in a room that faces the pool.