“Terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #31 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011 via mobile

T.E.R.R.I.B.L.E. Step by step. CHECK IN; Desk clerk was taking a personal call and left me standing there for about a minute while she talked about how she was getting picked up from work that evening. The printer wasn't working so she told me that I had to come back down to the desk after I took my luggage to my room. THE ROOM; I opened the door and was hit with the smell of mothballs and mold. The shower had black mold along the seals and there was a giant toenail in the middle of the bathroom floor that could have only come from the toe of a Yeti. One of the bedsheets had a cigarette burn hole in it (non smoking room). The t.v. remote was missing the battery compartment cover so the battery kept falling out. The alarm clock wasn't set and the two pictures about the beds were exactly the same. They must have been on sale. (just a guess). FRONT DESK (again) Stopped back at the front desk to sign the agreement and again stood there staring akwardly at the clerk waiting for her to get off of her cell phone. THE FRONT DOOR; Once I returned from town I found that there were 10 or 15 people sitting and standing around the front door...just kind of hanging out. THE LOBBY; Once I made it through the crowd and into the lobby there was an employee arguing with a customer who had apparently been kicked out (her luggage was in garbage bags and sitting by the doors). THE POOL; I was to afraid to even attempt to swim. BREAKFAST: After seeing the condition of our room there was no way that I was going to eat there. In closing, even if you drove from Alaska and every other hotel in the state was full DON'T STAY HERE. Buy a sleeping bag and sleep in the woods. It would be cleaner and more peaceful.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay very much! The beds are brand new and our rooms were very clean. Who wouldn't like a hotel with its own lazy river?

• Stayed August 2011
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I had previously stayed in this very hotel about 8 years ago had a wonderful time with my family, enjoyed the lazy river so when we decided to go back we instantly thought of this hotel...
when we arrived we were greeted by mattresses all over the first floor, when we made our way to the elevator when stood for 5 minutes while 3 workers at the desk watched and another guest had to inform us that they had shut the elevators down. When we did make it to our room, we were greeted with holes in the wall and noise from the pool. They put a "new" ac unit in the wall creating a large hole. We wanted to go enjoy the lazy river like we had before so we picked up the phone to call the front desk and ask where we could find an inter tube... The phone in our room didn't work... Then they informed us that they no longer hand inter tubes because they kept popping but we were more than welcome to go purchase one, which we did. When we came back hopped in the lazy river, most of the jets weren't working and it was only 1/2 way filled up. Anyone can come in through the outside doors at night and into the hallways, a safety concern... Also our remote was taped back together, This hotel has just gone downhill and I will NOT be returning and suggest others keep looking... I'm not one to ever complain but it just seemed to be one thing right after another the beds weren't comfortable either. So please don't be fooled by the pretty outside its a pretty awful inside... Sorry to be so negative, but I really hope this helps someone else not make the same mistake!

arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Our room was clean and adverage sized. Hotel staff was nice and helpful. The rooms have a mini refrigerator and microwave. They have a free breakfast that has bagels, toast, hard boiled eggs, donuts, waffles and fresh fruit. The breakfast area was very small so if the hotel is full it is very crowded. The hotel is a little dated but they said they just put in new carpets and did some upgrades and it looked nice. There is a indoor pool and it was clean, and it has a lazy river next to the other pool. It is in a nice location close to shopping areas and the trolly stopped almost in front of the hotel. It was a nice hotel and stay.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Clean neat rooms. Reasonable priced. Location was great walking distance to shops, restaurants, and aquarium. Indoor pool somewhat small but still very nice. Have stayed here twice, and will definitly be back again..

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I stayed here while I was on vacation with my family, and the stay was amazing. The rooms were very clean and the staff was very friendly and helping. Rooms were of great value, and the kids loved the indoor pool, hot tub, and lazy river!

Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

The good:
- There is a side road you can take to get to the hotel, which will allow you to skip over about half the town and half an hour of traffic in the tourist trap of a town
- The hotel staff, upon check in, warned us that there was a family reunion at the same time we were here and made sure that we felt comfortable with any noise levels, asking us every day if we were comfortable the night before. (Their helpfulness will also be noted in the next section)
- The pool and "lazy river" seemed like a lot of fun for the kids from the family reunion. They spent quite a bit of time in there.
- Breakfast. There were homemade waffles, bagels with Skippy peanut butter, fruits, and a variety of muffins (including lemon poppy seed, my favorite!).

The bad:
- My room (room 103, I think) was right next to the pool, so I got to hear the fun people were having at all times
- Going on with noise, we got to hear every single sound our neighbors (in room 107) made. We could hear their TV well enough to actually understand the words the characters were saying. Part of this was because they were completely inconsiderate jerks, but the walls are also very thin. At one point, they woke my sister and I up around 3 am because they were "having a good time". After waiting twenty minutes or so, my sister finally went up and complained about the noise. The staff member (who was there) was more than happy to stop the noise. He even waited ten minutes, knocking every once in a while, until they actually answered the door so that he could make sure they wouldn't start once again.
- The last obvious annoyance was the trolleys. They only come every thirty minutes (at least the line we had to take from the hotel), even on the weekend. In order to get to the Great Smoky Mountains, we had to transfer to another trolley. In effect, they're completely useless for avoiding driving to the national park.
---
I'm going to end this by saying I HATED Gatlinburg and will never return there ever again. It is the most touristy town I have ever stayed at. The only good thing about it was its close proximity to the Great Smoky Mountains, although it didn't seem like many of the visitors planned on visiting there. If you can, try to find another city to stay for your visit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!