“Getting better with Summer Bay” 4 of 5 stars

Gatlinburg Town Square Resort
414 Historic Nature Trail, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #47 of 86 hotels in Gatlinburg
Down South in Dixie
“Getting better with Summer Bay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

We have owned at Gatlinburg Town Square since pre construction in 1982. We have seen the highs and lows with different owners through the years. However, with Summer Bay it has definitly started to get better. I agree with tourist_from_DC that the noise from the Holiday Inn resort pool next door can be a problem, and the view was taken by this building. Our room was 306A (Phase 1) up a little higher than the pool next door, so the noise was not as much a problem. The room had been recently renovated, with new paint, carpet, furniture, and appliances. The parking has always been problematic as the closeness of the spaces, and support columns all around cause concerns when trying to park. But, with parking at a premium, and private lots charging quite a bit, I have been able to adapt. Townsquare (the main buildings) are in a great location, only about 1/2 mile from main street downtown. But, for those with walking difficulties it is uphill on the way back. Not a big incline, but should be mentioned. I guess the one complaint (not a deal breaker for me, maybe for those who need to do a little work while away) is the internet service is not free. Hard to believe, when you can see a Mom and Pops down the street with free Wi-Fi. Hey Summer Bay, you can do free Wi-Fi, I know you can. Over all, I think you will be pleased with Gatlinburg Town Square.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Rockville, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

We selected Gatlinburg Town Square as an exchange through Interval International. This was the third time we stayed there.

When we checked in to the resort, we were notified that we had to accept a unit in Phase 1 (the older phase). We asked for a Phase 2 unit but were notified that none were available. The registration staff was at least kind enough to move us to a higher floor so we wouldn't be stuck looking at a wall all week, and, when we saw the unit, we were pleasantly surprised by the updated decor and furnishings.

However, about half way through our week, the people in the unit above us tried to use their jacuzzi, the pipes above our master bathroom burst, and we had the equivalent of an indoor waterfall in our bathroom. The maintenance representative was helpful and polite, but we spent every morning for the rest of the week hearing loud pounding sounds above our heads.

Also, there were problems with parking at the resort. We returned late one evening to be informed that we had to wait for a security guard to direct us to a no parking space since there wasn't sufficient parking for everybody. This was a disappointing ending to a late evening. There used to be more parking.

In addition to the problems with the morning noise and parking, we were subjected to constant music and screaming from the pool at the new Holiday Inn resort adjacent to the Town Square Phase 1 units. The screaming went on from just after lunch to approximately 9 pm every evening. The Holiday Inn resort also blocked what used to be a beautiful view of Gatlinburg and the Smokies from our Phase 1 room. Our view was basically the same that your might get in any apartment complex.

To be fair, all of the housekeeping and maintenance staff members were friendly, helpful, and polite; the fountain was working in the courtyard; and, as aforementioned, the upgrades to our room were attractive (except for the plumbing, obviously). But we were hoping to use our exchange week for a peaceful getaway in the Smokies, and this didn't happen.

We won't be returning to Gatlinburg Town Square.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

Room smelled like old pickle juice.Heat constantly ran.No drawers in room for clothes.Old entertainment unit TV set below bed.When we went to our presentation they asked us if we would like to spend our last two nights there instead of at the town village.We accepted the offer no mention of extra charges.We bought into the Vacation destination which we had three days to cancel if we changd our minds.They don't fully activate your membership for 30 days so you can't fully tell how it works.We decided to cancel.We sent in our certified letter of cancellation.After they received it we got a call from them offering us an 800.00 discount off the price.We declined.Now ther're trying to charge us 500.00 for the two nights we stayed at the resort in a standard B type room that connected to the one bedroom suite.Shame on them!!!!!!!!! Don't trust them.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Buffalo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

I reserved a 2 bedroom by trading a week through RCI. It turned out to be a lockout. A studio and a 1 bedroom. Each had a fireplace and a hottub. While the rooms were older, they were in excellent condition and clean. The staff was friendly. The weather was terrible, so I am going to return later in the year and will stay there again. My only complaint: My parents were with us. They are in their 70's and my father doesn't walk well. The few handicap parking spots were usually occupied by lowlife scumbags with no handicap pass.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

My family and I just stayed at this resort. We booked our vacation over a year in advance. Our timeshare is for a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo. We arrived on Christmas Day and checked out on New Years Day. We have stayed at several wonderful resorts and had hoped this one would be no different. After driving 15 hours to get here, we arrived a little later then check in. The reports are true, you do have to walk up a hill to check in. When we got there, I showed my confirmation for 6 adults. The lady at the front (Julie) asked me for my credit card, and told me they would be charging $100 for a deposit, and 6-10 days after we left it would be refunded. I have been to resorts where I had to give my credit card, and they would pre-authorize a charge as a precaution, but this resort actually charged my card in advance. They should have indicated that in the paper work before hand. Nonetheless, we checked in and went to our room. It was terrible!!!! Horribly outdated, stinky, and ill equipped!!!! There was 1 king in the master. Then in the 2nd room was 2 twin beds. This was supposed to sleep 6 adults. Oh, my bad-the couch also folded out to a cardboard like double bed. There was no washers and dryers for 2 bedroom units. 1 window. No balcony. No fireplace. Nothing. Internet service is available for 7.95 a day. My husband went to the front and talked to them. He explained to them how unacceptable these rooms were, and how the hotel we had stayed in the night before was 100% better than this. She then told him to come back the next morning and there was a room that had all the ammenities we were promised. All we had to do was talk to "the office". So, bright and early we walked up the hill to the office. The women we then encountered were NOT helpful, and considerate. I am sorry, but people pay alot of money for a quality vacation, and these people are taking advantage of that. They were rude, and very unaccomadating. I explained to them our dis-satisfaction with the condo, and how we were mislead about the ammenities in our particuliar condo. All they would say is that I should contact Interval. I explained to them that it isn't Intervals fault they mislead them on the accomadations. One lady reluctantly told me about a 3 bedroom that we could upgrade to that had all of the things they had originally stated they had. We would have to pay $175 plus tax. We didn't have much choice since we had already traveled 2 days to get here. So, I told her I would consult with the couple we were with, and if they agreed we would pay for the upgrade. We asked to see the room, and this 3 bedroom room was indeed the one they advertise. Fifteen minutes later, we went back up the hill and told them we agreed and wanted to upgrade. The room was gone! The girl right next to her (who had heard the entire conversation) was booking it right then!!! Her boss told her she would have to cancel it and give it to us. We paid it, and never heard another word from anyone. No "can we help you" or "is there anything we can do to make this a memorable vacation"...NOTHING. When we checked out, we had to call down and ask the procedure. We later found out that they just stuck us in the old "phase 1" condos. I met family there that I hadn't seen in over 5 years. They stayed right next door at the Smoky Mountain Resort by Holiday Inn. It was beautiful, and represented a lodge. I was ashamed that I had traded for this ghetto resort. When you stay at a quality resort-you can save a little money by participating in the activities they offer. This was not the case here. We had to leave and spend money daily to keep our children entertained.

Some of the things we did to pass the time while we were here was:
Dollywood, don't go there if you want to ride and its below 40. The hydraulics are frozen and you won't get to ride. We paid 200 and got to ride 1 thing. If you like family Christmas stories, then this is ideal for you. Very comprable to Silver Dollar City in Branson. I have been to Disney, and think that when you pay a admission fee to a theme park it should be all you need. Not the case here, it is sorta like a fair with carnival games that cost. The zip line is 40.00 extra. Not really my cup of tea. If you have a few children....not a inexpensive outing.

OberMountain-Go early if its a busy week for Gatlinburg!!! We were there during "hell week" according to the locals. They had a tram line to the mountain where the wait was more than 3 hours. We were there at 9am and got right on the tram to it. When we got there, we waited in line for more than 2 hours for them to cut the line off right in front of me for snow tubing. They know they are only goin to let so many down the mountain per day...why make us stand in line and freeze to be turned away? If you wanna ski, you better be prepared to spend more than 100 per person!!!

Cade Cove, is a protected national forest about 30 minutes away. If weather permits, and the mountain isn't closed-it is worth the drive! It was free, and the most beautiful thing we saw the entire trip. Very educational!!! There is a lot of animals that roam there (including bears) but it was too cold for anything but deer while we there. But, the story and museum is worth your time.

Tanger Outlet Mall in Pigeon Forge-Not a true outlet mall. I live in the south, and found our prices to be better then these. If variety is your thing then this is the right place for you. Not so much if your looking for a bargain!!!

Nascar Go-Carts- Sadly enough, if it is below a certain degree...they also close. We tried to go one night, and they were closed down early because of the weather.

The Village-Beautiful shops within walking distance from this condo. Still, a bit pricey for us. But, if you are just there to check it out-its fun.

New Years Eve Ball Drop Celebration-OVER RATED!!!! I have seen my fair share of fireworks displays and this is not one of the best on my list. For all the money and people involved in this event-it is not enough!!! The free shows we see on the riverwalk are better then this! Also be aware that this week every year is the busiest for Gatlinburg with all the teenagers. They have something called the Xtreme Convention every year. It is a mad house, and there are kids darting in and out of everywhere all day and night.

We have been to Branson, and would compare this vacation to that. Everything is expensive for families with more than 1 child. If its too cold, the town basically shuts down. I hope this info helps someone. It would have been helpful for us!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
raleigh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

First, we were put in unit G08 Phase I Ground Floor, 2BR/2 Baths where the room was awful. The view from the front window was a stone wall & the 2nd BR window was of the inside of their storage unit (we took pictures it was so bad). We phoned the front office & the young lady said that the sytem would not let her move us, but we could call in the morning & they would move us into a unit that is being checkout out of. So the next morning, my spouse went to the front desk & asked for us to be moved that the unit was not satisfactory, the unit was dirty/no washer/dryer, terrible view. They said essentially too bad, & threathen to call the police if we caused a problem. Okay...let's jump here...then they finally moved us to G02 still Phase I, Ground Floor, view was a little better, still 2nd br window was of their storage area. The unit was a little cleaner, but the unit was too cold for this time of year. The floors were freezing and we had to put blankets up around the doors to try block the cold air. We decided not to complain after they were so rude the first time. Then we are a handicap family & asked for a "red" sticker for our vehicle to park in front of our unit, & they refused! We have a handicap sticker as well, & saw some people parked in handicap without a sticker or "red" sticker. Also Internet is ~$9.95 a day per computer (laptop). After that we decided to never stay here again. The staff is NOT FRIENDLY or HELPFUL! We traded via II from a Gold Resort and got this! VERY DISAPPOINTED!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Alabama Roll Tide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

My wife and I come here once a year. This year we brought my wifes father and her sister.
I think that this year was about the best vacation that we had here.
Just love this area and this resort. Eveybody that works at this resort are very nice and helpful. No mater if you lock yourself out of your room at 2am. They will come open up and let you in with a smile.
Big Ears did not show this week but Jr did.
Jr is the 250lb son of Big Ears. Mother bear.
One night Jr made his rounds looking for food. He was seen on just about every floor in the resort. But all is safe as Jr was only hungry and the people that work there are on aleart and watch after whats going on with him.

Just want to say thanks Town Square for another great week in Gatlinburg.

• Stayed November 2009

Been to Gatlinburg Town Square Resort? Share your experiences!