“Save time and frustration...  Go somewhere else....” 2 of 5 stars

Gatlinburg Town Square Resort
414 Historic Nature Trail, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #44 of 86 hotels in Gatlinburg
Cincinnati
“Save time and frustration...  Go somewhere else....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

I hate to write such a terrible review of this place because there were two employees here who were really helpful, seemed genuinely concerned and who did everything they could to make our stay better but this property has So Many problems that one or two people CANNOT fix them alone. This place is a dump...

A few weeks before our vacation was going to start I got a letter in the mail from David the exchange coordinator .  I emailed him to express my concerns on some of the things I'd read about the resort and explained our desire to get into one of the newer buildings.  He assured me he would note my requests and do what he could to get us the "Creekside" room I wanted. I knew already to avoid the Phase 1 rooms based on the horrible reviews and to make sure I got into one of the newer Phase 2 buildings.

We arrived optimistically on a Friday evening for checkin.  The two women at the counter were unfriendly and very "matter of fact" in explaining that the two bedroom lockout I'd booked wasn't available but they were "upgrading" me to a two bedroom deluxe instead.  I asked about the location and of course it was in Phase 1.  I expressed my concerns and she assured me that the rooms were newly renovated and were in good shape.

As soon as I walked into my room (309) I was overwhelmed by the smell of mildew.  My allergies went into overdrive immediately...  I sucked down some Zyrtec, Sudafed and another H2 blocker and we walked a few blocks to downtown Gatlinburg to find dinner.  We returned around 11pm and began getting ready for bed.  The towel racks in one bathroom fell down on my kids as they tried to hang their towels.  I noticed old banged up cabinetry everywhere, peeling wallpaper, botched paint, doors with holes and dings in them intermingled with new furniture, obviously some hardware upgrades, and a few other miscellaneous upgrades. I resolved to make it through the night and get it fixed first thing in the morning.   As I started to unpack I began to notice that the drawers, shower and toilet were all covered in someone else's long strawberry blond hair.  I'd brought along Lysol wipes, aerosol spray and a spray bottle of cleaner...  I wiped it all down myself but I got to the tub and I noticed that inside of the jacuzzi jets were all black with mold & mildew...  Then we looked at the shower curtain.  Mold and/or mildew went up and down it.  I was pretty pissed at this point.  It was clear to me how bad the cleaning crew sucked.  A moldy shower curtain is such an easy thing to fix!  To top it all off the master toilet ran on and off every 60 seconds or so.  I got absolutely no sleep that night.  I had trouble breathing by the time I got outta there at 9am the next morning to walk up the street to the front desk to complain and get switched.

Poor Joe was working the front desk and I felt sorry for the guy...  I overheard him talking about the volume of complaints he'd had already for the day.  I explained my mold problem and requested a new room in the new building I presumed would have less problems.  He was genuinely concerned and very kind.  He got us moved into a phase 2 room (still not Creekside) that would be free of environmental hazards.   He went through a copious list of notes and special requests left by David.   Apparently the ladies who checked me in the previous day never read them at all or they just pretended they didn't.

We got our keys to room 516 just before noon and we moved all of our things over.  I was relieved to open the front door and find that the musty smell of mold & mildew was not here too.  Again, someone else's hair was all over the place.  I called the front desk to let them know that we had completed our move and that the person who had cleaned my room an hour ago completely missed the toilets, shower stall, and most of the countertops.  They offered to have someone else come and clean again but I opted to just do it myself so that I knew it was clean and whoevers pubic hairs were no longer all over the toilet I had to use this week.  I was still kinda upset but oh well...  We were stuck 6 more nights here.  When we walked in there were a couple of gnats flying around the kitchen...  Not a big deal initially, but an hour or so later we noticed black dots all over the wall in one spot.  Dozens of them to be exact... There was a bug problem in this room.  Rather than have them come in and spray pesticides everywhere we set out several cups of juice with a few drops of dish soap in them and we left for the lumberjack feud show.  When we returned, most of the bugs had thankfully drowned themselves in the juice.  Lysol spray actually took care of the rest but again, this is another problem that just shouldn't be.

Other than the bugs, the cobwebs in the corners, the thin layer of dust covering EVERYTHING and the hair all over the bathroom, this room was livable.  Very strangely put together but livable after cleaning it.  I could see the caulk all over the bathroom bubbling up in lots of places and in the beginning stages of mildewing.  Who in their right mind puts wallpaper in a shower???  I don't care if it is above the cheap shower liner...  Just another mold trap.  This could have been a nice room but the combination of poor construction workmanship and the cleaning staff that doesn't care this place is going to be in a state of disrepair soon.  The really old scratched up cabinets and bedroom furniture made these brand new rooms look old, dated and worn down.  It reminds me of a project that went way over budget in the beginning and they balanced it out with used cabinetry and furniture from a flea market or something.  Very Very disappointing...

Best things : My kids loved the free brown bear stuffed animals, the location was great, Joe was great, and David was helpful.

• Stayed August 2012

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Me and my family of 5 recently stayed at this resort and it has been one of my best stays in a while. We had the 1 bedroom condo with fully eqipped kitchen for making your own meals. A dining area with 6 chairs, a nice living area with fireplace that opened up to a personal patio area. The couch folded into a bed which was comfortable for the younger children and there was room to blow up our full size air mattress for older child. The bedroom had a jacuzzi tub and double doors again leading to the patio. Basic bathroom with stand up shower, washer and dryer was also including in the unit. The pools are on the small size but the kids enjoyed them. The resort offer daily activities and events free of charge with your stay. One night children got to make braclets, next night ice cream social event. Offer ping pong, corn hole, basketball court, and fitness room. The room was nicley furnished with updated furnishing. Little picnic area with grils on premices and within 2 miles of smokey mountain park. Staying at this resort you are within walking distance to downtown. Very nicley landscaped, maintained, and clean property inside and out. If I had to add one complaint it would be the tight parking garage but with all the postives to this property it didn't even bother us. Once parked the vehicle was not drove till we left. Everything is so close no need to drive. Hope you give this place a try you'll be glad you did. Will return!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Buford, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We just got back from Gatlinburg. We are owners and were in Phase I 2 bedroom deluxe. It is perfect for a family of four. It was very clean and the decor was up to date. We have not been to Gatlinburg in two years and Gatlinburg Town Square has made some upgrades. The grills have been moved closer to the River which makes a nice outside dining area. More outdoor seating has been added. The lounge chairs have been recovered and a play train has been added to the play area. The location is great. The Log Cabin is accross the street incase you do not want to walk down to the Pancake Pantry. There is also a small general store/grill a block down that offers an inexpensive breakfast. As for the workers, they were very friendly.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom deluxe has a small stove. Make sure to get groceries before getting to Gatlinburg.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Typical daily wake-up routine:
5 a.m. Dumpster removal
6 a.m. Supplies delivered
6:30 a.m. Loud employees taking a smoke break.

If you are in a Phase 2B studio unit (any number from 116 to 523) then you should plan on the above noise from the neighboring property. You will also enjoy a lovely view of the loading dock and back of the same property.

The unit itself was clean and reasonably well-maintained, but a little dark. (The only window faces onto the above-mentioned dumpster.)

Connecting to the WiFi was generally a waste of time. Although the signal strength was OK, the network seemed overloaded and timed out frequently.

The bed was wobbly. I suspect the metal bedframe may be beyond its prime.

Room Tip: Do not accept any room number from 116 to 123, 216 to 223, 316 to 323, 416 to 423 or 516 to 523 unle...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

After reading some of the other reviews, I felt I had to write one myself. I have stayed at `the Square' each December for the last several years. Never had a problem. It is a studio unit- so no one should go in expecting the Taj Mahal. All staff has been more than pleasant with any dealings I have had. SOME sales staff can be a little pushy- but have always gotten the gift promised. I have stayed in worse places, and I have stayed in better- but I always keep coming back to `The Square' because of its easy location to downtown Gatlinburg ( if you don't mind the uphill walk as you head back to the unit). I think the location is what makes me keep coming back. You don't have to drive for 30 minutes to get to town, and then search/ pay for a place to park. Other timeshares may be in a more scenic location- but they can't beat the convenience. Besides- who stays in their room much when in the Smokies, and Gatlinburg? :-D

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

DH and I stayed in a 1 BR condo in one of the Phase 2 buildings from 6/1 to 6/8/12. The condo was clean and bright w/ a nice balcony. The bed was comfortable. Only downside was not enough dressers and a small closet. But we made out fine. The complex is located about 1 and 1/2 blocks off of the Parkway, so it was great to be able to walk every where.

The offstreet free parking was a plus since it's not really fun to drive in downtown Gburg with all the people not paying attention and stepping right out in traffic (and not in the crosswalks either). I thought I was in NYC dealing with the side walk toursts a few times (lol).

Be aware this property is a Condo, not a hotel. There is no maid service during your stay. They clean the condo before you get in and when you leave for the next person. If you want clean towels you need to walked down to the laundry room on the ground floor to get them yourself. If you run out of TP or P Towels, you need to call housekeeping & pick the stuff up at the front desk.

All in all we liked it and would stay at this property again.

The pools were small but nice. The inside pool was closed for a day

Room Tip: Get a room in the Phase II buildings, they all have a mini washer and dryer in the rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Our family of 4 visited Gatlinburg this past week. We arrived at 3:40 pm for our 4 pm check in. Guest services were happy to take our credit card for the $59 cleaning service fee, but said the room was not ready. Ok, we'll come back at 4 pm. At 4 o'clock, the room was still not ready. It would be another 35 minutes. I asked if they could waive the cleaning fee or something else for the inconvenience. No. Can't do that. They took our phone number to call when the room was ready. We visited the decrepit pool until 5 pm and still no phone call. We had to make yet another trip a block away to check in. No apologies from the staff. Instead they acted as if we were lucky to be staying with them. The resort is run down, out dated with poor service.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gatlinburg Town Square Resort? Share your experiences!