“Fun for Adults, Love Their Moonshine!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 50 Activities in Gatlinburg
Type: Distilleries, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: Ole Smoky is the first federally licensed moonshine distillery in the state of Tennessee. A visit to Ole Smoky is the true moonshine experience. As you approach the entrance, you can detect the distinct smell of our grains cooking and fermenting. You’ll see authentic working moonshine stills and experience the process from beginning to end. Our distillers will take the time to visit with you and answer any questions about the history and lore of moonshining in East Tennessee.After you see, smell and hear about the process, we offer you a taste of our shine for free. Samples of our Original Unaged Corn Whiskey, White Lightnin’ and Moonshine Cherries – plus we offer seasonal and special flavors that aren’t available in package stores. And of course, you’ll be able to buy plenty of moonshine and Ole Smoky merchandise to take home with you.
Orlando, Florida
14 attraction reviews
“Fun for Adults, Love Their Moonshine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I went here for my birthday in July. It was my first time at a distillery. They let you samle all the flavors of moonshine. We tipped them well and since it was my birthday I got several samples! I had never drank moonshine before and I just loved the variety of flavors. The jar of cherries are my favorite. I bought a bunch to take home. It was a bit expensive as I later noticed while driving through Mississippi they sold the same moonshine at the gas station for half the price. But it is located in a tourist town and it was summer, so I guess I cant blame them. It was worth the $ either way. We did not see anything where you actually tour the place and see how its made, but the guys at the tasting booth were very informative and friendly. If you like whiskey, you will like their moonshine.

Visited July 2012

Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
23 attraction reviews
“we saw the moon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had a great visit. This was our third visit and the choice of flavors were much more than before. We will be back again.

Fayetteville, North Carolina
16 attraction reviews
“Taste testing but no history or explanations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our family has toured alot of distilleries and this was the worst. There is no tour. You just walk by and see the tanks. There's no one there to explain how anything works or the history behind it.

They do have taste testing. You get to try 12 different types of moonshine. It's nice to be able to try them before you buy them, because the moonshine is quite expensive. But it's very busy, so you will have to wait to be able to sample.

Nashville, Tennessee
17 attraction reviews
“Thought there would be more, but visit anyway.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

If you've ever been to the Jack Daniels distillery, your expectations will be pretty high going into this one, and you'll probably be a little disappointed. The free tour they advertise is just you walking by the tanks and other machinery with small signage along the way. There's also free tasting that's worth the walk down the "Moonshine Holler". My fiance is a cigar lover and was excited to see they had cigars, until he realized they had not cared for them properly and would be a waste to buy. Overall this gives a neat mountain feel as far as it's appearance, and if you've never had moonshine before the tasting is fun, but I wouldn't base a trip to Gatlinburg on this place. The good thing is, there's a lot more to do in this awesome town!

Rushville, Indiana
21 attraction reviews
“white whiskey, still good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The "white whiskey" as sold here is very good however is slightly different then actual moonshine.Actual moon is a higher proof, regardless it is still good and neat how open the attraction is to see the brewing process and all the other products they have for sale. They had a good sale on yesterday on their shirts so I picked up 2.