“Will stay here year after year after year.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Club Vacations Gatlinburg-Smoky Mountain

You added Holiday Inn Club Vacations Gatlinburg-Smoky Mountain to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Gatlinburg-Smoky Mountain
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   404 Historic Nature Trail, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn a $50 Gift Card!
Ranked #8 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Marietta, Georgia
“Will stay here year after year after year.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

Orange Lake has done it again. We gave this HI hotel a chance because we LOVE Orange Lake Orlando and we were hoping to receive the same standard of quality. From the attentive front desk staff to the lovely smell as we entered the room, we were hooked. We had a two room suite facing the back. It was warm enough to open the windows and slider to the balcony...we also lit the fire and listened to the wonderful roar of the creek below. Carpet was new, bedding was great, beds comfortable. Easy drive (10min) to Ober for skiing. We enjoyed the indoor pool and also attended the weekly (Tues.) Parrot show in the lobby....kids loved it. I am the type of person who pulls the sheets back immediately to inspect for hairs/tears/holes, etc....didn't find a stray hair in the beds, in the sinks or on the floor. Impeccable housekeeping. We will not hesitate to book here again next year for our ski trip.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Groveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

My wife and I travel to Gatlinburg about once a year---usually get a cabin in the mountains but decided we'd stay downtown this year. Pulled into the Holiday Inn on a Tuesday looking for somewhere to stay for about a week but were told they were booked for the weekend. I took a look at a room anyway and was impressed enough to go ahead and book the three days available. The room was very nice, comfortable seating, full kitchen stocked with the basics, large bathroom and washer/dryer which was definately a plus as we had been on the road for more than a week already. The only thing I noticed was the carpet had several lighter patches that had been spot cleaned---no big deal and I came to find out later that the carpets were being replaced.
A couple quibbles with the room---the balcony was pretty much useless for anything other than standing. There was only enough room for the two chairs to fit sideways so if you and another person were out there, you'd basically be staring at each other and not the view. The view itself (we were on the 9th floor), was predominately of the parking lot of adjacent building but also offerred nice views of the city below and mountains in the distance.
The bedding I would describe as adequate, not at all plush but comfortable enough.
The main problem is that the bed is next to and parallel with the window looking out to the exterior walkway which understandably is lit up at night. Even when fully closed either way the blinds let a surprising amount of light in. The curtains were side window decoration only and didn't offer any help.
Service was for the most part friendly and efficient. We bring our own coffee with us on these trips but had forgotten filters. The coffeemaker there was supplied only with one of those pre-packed servings, so I called down to see if they had any. I was told they don't offer any for sale but they would supply me with some from their own coffeemaker. I went down to the front desk and was handed about a half dozen filters--more than enough for our needs and much appreciated as it saved us a trip downtown. Also, the first morning we discovered the iron didn't work. Someone was at our door in just a few minutes of my call with a brand new one. He inquired if we were enjoying our stay and asked if there was anything else he could do-----nice job.
One thing's for sure, the people here take their hotels ratings very seriously, as was explained to me at check in when I mentioned the T.A. reviews. " It's important that you put down the highest marks in all the catagories", she said, adding that we would be receiving an online satisfaction survey where they would like to receive only 'extremely satisfied'. 'exceeded expectations', and 'strongly agree' answers. She asked that we contact them During Our Stay if for whatever reason we couldn't give them the highest marks. I nodded my head, half wondering if that meant they would correct the problem or hold us in the basement without food and water until we signed off.
The other personel we encountered during our stay ranged from merely pleasant to 'just exited a motivational seminar' excited. We often mistook people associated with the hotel as other guests---until the questioning started--as there was no identifying aparrel. One such group we encountered in the elevator greeted us enthusiastically,
asked how we were enjoying our stay and "isn't this just the most wonderful place"? and so on. The man in the group (with two ladies) exclaimed "And how about the cleanliness of those rooms; isn't it TERRIFIC"?!! He actually fist-punched the air with that last word.
"Well yes", I replied. "In fact, I strongly agree that it exceeded my expectations".
That did it-----their faces fairly burst with joy; shouts of "Woooeee!" Yeaah!,That's what we like to hear!' rang out. I think they were about to dance around and high-five each other when the elevator door opened and they exited, beaming and wishing us well.
We got a few chuckles out of that somewhat bizzare encounter but hey, God Bless Them. I've stayed in enough places where the staff was indifferent or downright rude and it was refreshing (and entertaining) to see people who were so enthusiastic about their establishment
One encounter wasn't so pleasurable, however. I was in the middle of taking a shower our first morning there when I heard a loud knocking at the door and then a male voice who from what I could hear, seemed to be asking my wife a lot of questions. My first thought was that it could be the police--- or maybe somebody was trying to scam their way into our room. I hurried out of the shower, threw on some pants and walked out to see a rather large guy standing in the doorway with a clipboard, while my wife was just inside, hanging on to the door. He saw me and said, "Hey, you're probably wondering what I'm doing here asking your wife all these questions" "That's exactly what I'm wondering". I replied. not hiding my irritation. He went on to say he was with the hotel, conducting a 'guest survey' and only had a couple more questions. I shook my head and said something like "you've got to be kidding" and then stepped into the bedroom to finish drying off and get dressed. The questioning continued--- "Where do you like to vacation? How many days do you spend on vacation? How much do you typically spend? My wife is a lot more 'polite' than I am in these circumstances but I could tell she had about enough of this. Then he started his sales pitch---time share sales---.
I heard my wife say "no thanks", we're really not interested", etc. He started to persist but by that time I was coming around the corner and I guess he sensed my mood or it could have been the "why are you still here"? greeting and left with a "here's my card; call me with any questions" retreat.
Here's my problem with this episode: We were paying guests here, not someone getting a free night in exchange for sitting through a time share pitch. No one at any time mentioned that someone would be coming by to conduct this bogus "survey".
How about a phone call first to see if it would be convienent to send someone by? Don't just come by unannounced banging on the door at 10:00 in the morning....that's the way muggers opperate.
Anyway, it was over and I didn't let it ruin my day. All things considererd, it was just a half hour or so of annoyance in an otherwise nice three day stay. If we do decide to come back, I'll just let them know up front that we don't want the sales pitch. If they say it's part of the deal, we'll go elsewhere------which we did after checking out on Friday.

Off to the Hilton Garden Inn just down the road! Review to follow--should be a lot less long winded.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Martinsville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

We have been going on vacation to Gatlinburg for about 5 years. We always stay here and love it. Great rooms and customer service/satisfaction is top of the line. The location is excellent too as you can walk to all the shops without the hassle of parking etc. We do not intend to stay any where else.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

We were impressed with the resort and the staff members! Amanda was key in making sure that we had a great time. Her resturaunt advice led us to the perfect places for us, and she was also a great overall guide to the area attractions. The rooms were nicely decorated and clean, the location was less than a block walk from all the activity in Gatlinberg, in the other direction about a mile from hiking in the national park. We are talking about our return trip already.

Shelby, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

Our overall experience was nothing but pleasant from the time of check-in to the time of departure. The front desk personnel, Tammy and Randy, were very professional and strived to meet every need. The hotel is in the process of replacing the matresses and the unit in which we stayed had a new one. It was so comfortable, we inquired about the brand when we left. Also, the carpet is being replaced. Once we check in, it was only moments until someone was at the door making sure the unit was in tip-top shape (and it was). The hotel is located about three tenths of a mile off the main street of Gatlinburg, which made it within walking distance to the main area of town. On Tuesday, we did the eight and a half mile loop of the Arts Community. There was someone at the front area to explain how to get there, and give us a list of the crafters that would be open as this is the off season. This is an excellent facility, extremely friendly and helpful staff, and we definitely would return when in the area.

Fremont, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

The location is great - you can walk to downtown easily. The bed was the best we have had in a long time - if not ever. The decor is nice, the bedcover is a beautiful quilt and the staff is second to none.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

With the exception of one person, and I think he was just having a bad day, the entire staff was extremely courteous and helpful. The villa we occupied was quite roomy and comfortable although the balcony was very small.

The location was excellent. It's just a short walk to the main thoroughfare and also located on the trolley line. During our four day stay, we only used our car twice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Gatlinburg-Smoky Mountain? Share your experiences!