“Avoid it” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
“Avoid it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Unclean. Smoke smell in rooms. No wi fi. Free wifi is a gimmick. If u cant find any other hotels on internet dnt worry der r plenty available for walk in at lower price. Plenty if vacant ones in pigeon forge which is 10 mins away. Waste of money. Will never ever stay here again. Thank god i had booked only for one night

• Stayed May 2013

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
bay st louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

MY family stayed here in April 2012 easter for 6 nights. We found this hotel in a welcome center ad in the travellers coupon book, and it was much lower cost than the other hotel in the area and many were booked up. Overall, the room was clean we were a family of five and we stayed in a non smoking room on the lower floor. The staff/owners were all nice and friendly and we never requested room to be cleaned but they did ask everyday for trash and if we needed towels. The pros to this hotel is that the price was good, outside the rear door was a fast running water stream like ten feet away, had one rocker on the outside and a few chairs, was nice and quit inside for the water makes alot of noise but when the door was closed we did not hear it much. It is between 1 and 2 markers of the strip so one can walk to just about everythang in city. The room had a frig, and micr. and coffee pot. As for cons, is an older property and could use some repair but it looked like they were working on it, tv is very out dated and batterys in remote were dead. Also there is no area to wash and dry items, and they really need an ice maker. Also we had several problems with the wi fi. The main reason I would stay here again is price and the stream outside the room. The area is not a private for it faces another hotel on the other side of the stream.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor nice and close to water
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Easley, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We checked in late on Friday night because the other hotel we were booked at wouldn't let us check in due to the weight of our dog. The Terrace Inn has a pet friendly room that has a no smoking sign on the outside of the door. The room smelled like a 100 people had been in there smoking all day prior to our arrival. We turned the air conditioner on and it sounded like it had a hole in it's muffler. There was no place to walk our dog (yes, we keep plastic bags to clean up). After 2 hours of smelling the stench and the realization that our dog was not going to be able to relieve herself we checked out and drove back home. $77 wasted.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker, don't bother.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012 via mobile

I stay here almost every year with my dad, sister and grandmother for Christmas. There's a reason we keep coming back! A great location with nice comfortable rooms and great service.

• Stayed December 2011
Toccopola, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Had I read the reviews I wouldn't have looked at the ad in the travellers coupon book. As it was we were only stopping the night late on a through trip and it was cheap. Everything was clean with no cobwebs and the bed was comfy and clean. There was a slight odor of smoke in a nonsmoking room (room 111) but a little air blew that out. The owners were nice enough and the balconies over the river were nice with a family of ducks swimming about. It was as good as the Best Western (which was too close) across the stream for less money. There was a rocker on the balcony but the rest of the furniture was flimsy plastic. The batteries in the remote were shot but it was just a sleep spot anyway. All the apliances worked including the coffee maker though the coffee itself was awful. The fridge had to be turned on and took awhile to get cold though. The pool is still out but who swims except kids? Yeck communal body stew.

Then the next morning we saw an ad and for about 10 bucks more we could have stayed at the riverhouse lodge which is normally about 110. Nooooooooooooooooo. We love that place. Damn being cheap. I liked the ducks though. Oh, and the restaurant served a nice trout just down the street a block.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Huntersville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

Made a reservation for one night. Website showed decent looking room. That's where it ends. We arrived around 9:30pm. I knew we were in trouble when I had to ring the bell to get the manager to open the door and check me in. She arrived to the door barefooted. Upon entering the office, the smell of chicken curry overwhelmed me. Once we got to our room it looked decent except for the mold in the corner ceiling. I don't think they ever dusted. No remote control for the TV. My closet is bigger than what they called a bathroom. For $55 there have to be better options out there in Gatlinburg.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010 via mobile

When arrived I asked about the rate posted on website. I was told it was for walk in only. I was told because I made reservation I couldn't have that rate. People who were with me didn't have reservations but they wouldn't give them the rate on site was told had to have coupon and when told they would go get one was told because they still couldn't have the rate posted because they didn't mention it first I did. Owners were very rude and disrespectful. Had to go to office at 11 pm to get toilet paper because no one would answer phone at front desk. No coffee or cups in room. Was told if we wanted ice had to leave our cabin and get from hotel. Showers had cold water and shower heads were so low me at 5'1" had to bend to wet and wash my hair. So no I will never stay again.

• Stayed October 2010

Been to Terrace Inn on the Water? Share your experiences!