“Strictly for kids, disappointing for adults.” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 98 things to do in Gatlinburg
Pikeville, TN
“Strictly for kids, disappointing for adults.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

I took my family July 6th to this waterpark. Thank goodness our tickets were free. We made the mistake of going through Westgate's timeshare presentation. Anyway, the waterpark is geared for kids. The deepest part of the pool is 5 feet which is average. They have a lazy river which is ok and 2 slides. The waterpark is well maintained. Unfortunately it is very crowded as its not that big. They have nice furniture but there is not enough of it compared to the amount people using the waterpark.
The kids liked the park no doubt. They had a game room. We didn't try the food or check out the gift shop. The wife and I were entertained for a while, but it wore off quickly, As there is not that much to do. We are Disney waterpark spoiled I suppose.
The reason we were disappointed was after being there only 2 hours, someone defecated in the 5 ft pool area which they closed to be fair.
I started to consider, this is an enclosed all in one waterpark and I doubted they had each individual pool on a separate filtration system.
They may have, but I didn't stick around to find out.
I don't know much about pools and water health safety, but I thought you have to drain the pool and clean it rather than dumping some detergent in as I noticed a lifeguard doing. Anyway, I do not want to slam the waterpark, but it was not what I expected.

St. Petersburg, Florida
29 attraction reviews
“Indoor waterpark, good value, hot house feel in June”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Got 3 day pass for cost of 2 days. Really saved us money. Kept everyone entertained. 2 large slides were fun, lazy river was nice. Good water temperature. When it rains the slide close but all else stays open. Not easy to get a chair or lounger most are taken by 11:30am right after the park opens. Being patient I was able to get a lounger each day. 2 hot tubs not too hot and allowed children. Greasie spoon up stairs for dogs, fries etc. For nicer food like a panini dry off and go to the lodge for a nicer and afordable lunch.
You can return to the park all day long. Not given any wrist band but a reciept to hold on to. for 3 days would have prefered somthing a little more durable. Almost tossed it out once.

Kingsport, Tennessee
“Great Place to Spend the Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

My family and I spent the day here , we had been torn between going to Splash Country and Wild Bear Falls, the weather ultimately decided for us, an overcast day. After reading some of the reveiws here we were skeptical, but as I said the weather played a role in our decision. Wild Bear Falls was the perfect place for us, my 3 year old son had a blast, as did my wife and I. The water is heated and warm, very nice the toddler areas are perfect, witd an array of slides and things to do for the younger set. The lazy river was nice as well as the two adult slides. All in all a great day and a good bargain for the price. Parking was a breeze, the security guards directed us on where to park and it was maybe a 30 yard walk to the entrance, not bad at all . We expected it to crowded, but it was not , even on a holiday. If you were like me and skeptical, don't be you will love it, especially if you have kids.

Asheville, NC
“Not bad at all - would be GREAT if the water wasn't so COLD!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

We have gone to Gatlinburg for 2 years now for a "cheesy" weekend to break up the winter monotony in January or February. The trip is intended to be fun for the kids - the highlights of the trip are swimming in the indoor pools during the winter (and of course the Aquarium). We always pick a hotel with a nice indoor pool (but that's another review) and spend one day at Wild Bear Falls. The first year we were really impressed (never having been to an indoor waterpark before). We were disappointed to find the water in the 2 main children attraction areas quite cold The water in the middle play area (with the big dumping bucket) was frigid and the area could hardly be enjoyed except for a quick run through (my daughters lips quickly turned blue). The larger pool (with basketball goals) was too cold to use. BUT our daughter LOVED the Lazy River (age 4.5) and we spent the whole time chasing her around it as well as a few visits to the hot tubs.

The second year, we were excited b/c our daughter would be tall enough for the water slides (and our 2 year old would enjoy the zero-entry area for toddlers). Unfortunately, we found that area to be quite cold as well as the middle play area (with the big dumping bucket). The bigger pool with the basketball goal was comfortably warm and we spent more time in this pool (our son enjoyed the basketballs). But we were incredibly disappointed to find the LAZY RIVER was TOO COLD to use. We did make several frigid runs. We ended up spending much more time in the hot tubs. We salvaged the day by enjoying the water slides but overall felt that the management needs to do something about the water temps. It is ridiculous to keep this place open (and charge full price) in the winter if they can't maintain the water temp at a reasonable level.

We ate in the food area at Wild Bear Falls the 1st year. The pizza was very greasy but there is no good food in Gatlinburg (I think it must b/c it is too easy to be successful w/o providing decent food). The second year we ate at the BBQ restaurant in the lodge and that was actually one of the best meals we had in Gatlinburg and the management was quite nice (even giving the kids tokens to the arcade area).

I think Wild Bear Falls would be great if they could heat the water in the winter. As it is, I think it is is just a advertising feature to get people to the resort (to sell them a timeshare) and it is a disappointment. Next year, we will look for a hotel with a waterslide onsite and likely skip Wild Bear Falls.

-p

ohio
“Fun For The Whole Family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

We are a family with3 boys ages 12, 10 and 4. This is a great place.. something for everyone! Not so big that you feel uncomfortable, but just the right size. We had a great time, in December it will be our 3rd time going there this year, and we live in OHIO!!!