“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 173 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I'd been hiking all day. Came back to hotel exhausted and wanted a good meal. Calhouns looked like a nice place. I walked in and saw they were very busy. Told the host I was a single. He found me a table ASAP. The waiter was right there. I ordered grilled shrimp app and half rack of ribs. I live on the coast and these were the best grilled shrimp I ever had. The ribs were just as good. The atmosphere, service and food were as good as I ever gotten. If I ever go back to this area, I will stay in Pigeon Forge but will eat at Calhouns in Gatlinburg.

Visited February 2013

Calhoun, Georgia
“Ok but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our experience started out well by calling ahead for reservations. We waited less than 5 minutes to be seated. Waitress was very attentive. Ordered chips and beer cheese dip for appetizer. It was decent. The dip was excellent, but the chips were almost inedible due to over salting. Ordered ribs and ale steak for dinner. Ribs were far from award winning. Not very tender and had to be cut with a knife. The ale steak, on the other hand, was delicious. It had great taste even though it was not cooked very evenly throughout. Would recommend over most of the other chains in town.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hickory
“Good restaurant with excellent pretzel appetizer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Every time I am in the area I go out of my way to stop by here for their pretzels! The pretzels are soft and good on their own but the beer cheese dip they serve with them is out of this world. The filet is very good and the ribs are ok. If you like soft pretzels then this is definitely worth a stop.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great BBQ pork sandwich and Bloody Mary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stopped in for lunch and a drink. (We are from New Orleans its common to order a beverage with lunch.) I tried their Bloody Mary and it was a good compliment to the reasonably priced sandwiches. Would return again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Calhoun's - So, so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had dinner at Calhoun's on President's Day week-end during a quick get away. Menu looked good / sounded good.

We tried the fried green tomatoes appetizer. Not too bad, but not the best I've had.

My daughter ordered the fish and chips. I ordered the fried catfish. Close your eyes and take a bite of both and you would not be able to tell the difference.

Service was good, but the food was a disappointment.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jeff C, Manager at Calhoun's Gatlinburg, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We take all food critiques very seriously, and I will personally look into it.