“Customer Service is the worst” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Acorn Cabins

We can't find prices for this hotel
Acorn Cabins
You added Acorn Cabins to your Saves list
3121 Veterans Blvd, Gatlinburg, TN 37863   |
Ranked #77 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Perrysburg, Ohio
“Customer Service is the worst”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was our second visit to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. We learned a lot from our first stay, and even more on our second. The number one thing I learned on my most recent stay, don't EVER rent from this company again.

Our cabin was mediocre at best, nothing to write home about. When we searched for a cabin we had three "must-haves". One was pet-friendly accommodations, privacy and wi-fi. The drive way was very small, barely room for our mini-van and there was NO yard for our dogs. The pictures we saw when we rent the cabin online were perfectly staged to make it appear there was privacy, there wasn't. We were in a neighborhood with lots of other cabins. We decided to make the best of it and over look the stains on the carpet from other guests dogs, and the lousy wi-fi, and the smelly hot tub I refused to get in after the first night.

When I checked out via their app, which didn't work well because of the poor wi-fi I listed the things that we were dissatisfied about. Three days after we got home (800 miles away) I got a phone call stating that they were charging my card over $100 for pet stains on the carpet and couch. When I called to discuss I was given attitude and quickly realized they were not concerned about me ever returning to their cabins because they treated me like a criminal. I requested photos and locations of the stains and was sent blurry pictures of stains with no indications of where the stains where in the cabin the stain was or proof that it was even cleaned. We learned a valuable lesson, when renting you should take photos and report to them any stains upon arrival (we thought we would overlook it since it's a pet-friendly cabin, accidents happen).

My complaint is the treatment I got when I called, if the customer is important to you, you don't talk to them the way I was talked to. It was disrespectful and I choose to not do business with this company ever again.

However, I love the area and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

This was our third visit to this area, in 2007 and in 2010 we rented cabins from Sunset Accommodations and had wonderful experiences. We decided to visit the area again, and when I tried to get into Sunset's website it was down, so I made the poor decision to look around. I found Whispering Waters #208 and it looked like a cute cabin and we loved the fact that it was on a creek so we booked it. I should have read reviews before we booked, probably wouldn't have rented it if I had. But I did see some good experiences so we hoped that would be our experience as well.

We checked in on Monday, March 10th. We had spent 2 nights in Gatlinburg, so we got to the office about 11:00 knowing that our cabin was probably not ready, but just wanted to let them know we were in the area and maybe would call us (as Sunset did) when the cabin was ready. Jeannie just said "cabin check in is at 3:00" when we told her we had one rented and my husband thought she was a little rude. She got nicer as we explained more though and in the end did tell us to call around 2:00 to see if we could get the cabin then. So we went to a restaurant for lunch and did a little shopping, called back at 2:00 and yes we could get the cabin so we drove back to register. A new girl checked us in, she said we were the first people she checked in. She was nice, and Jeannie did come over to help her finish up with the reservation and gave us the directions to the cabin and the code for the key box.

We got to the cabin and was a little disappointed it was such a short distance off the main road (Wears Valley Road) and we could see and hear the traffic from the cabin. And photos of the cabin on Aunt Bug's website were strategically taken so as not to show the several other cabins right near it. We punched in the code and got the key out of the box and walked into the lower level. You walk right in onto carpet, and of course the carpet is dirty. Would be better to have tile or wood floor I would think. The lower level had a couch, small table with 2 bar stools, pool table, washer and dryer and a ceiling-mounted TV.

Walk 18 steps up to the main level where there is a small living room with couch, tables, chair, TV and small fireplace. Then is the small kitchen, along with two bedrooms and two very small bathrooms. It was fine for the two of us, but would be a little cramped for 4 or more.

There is a small deck with one wooden rocker on the lower level, and a larger deck on the upper level with wooden rocker, double rocker, gas grill and hot tub.

Aunt Bug's asks you to check things over and call them within 2 hours if anything is broken so we did a quick walk-through and first discovered a pair of pliers in one of the showers and the shower head was off. Obviously maintenance had been there, but hadn't finished the job. We also noticed a broken chair slat on one of the chairs in the basement, and the face of the bedside clock was cracked. Everything else seemed okay at the time, so my husband called to report our findings. To their credit, they did send maintenance back out later in the afternoon to finish the shower repair.

After we brought all our things in (hard to lug upstairs though) and I started unpacking we started discovering just how dirty the cabin was. There was lipstick writing on one of the bathroom mirrors, we discovered a load of dirty (not washed, but damp from use) towels in the washing machine, the seal on the refrigerator door was sticky, the coffee maker was dirty so I cleaned that and spilled a little water on the floor and when I wiped it up with a paper towel it was black with dirt. There was a throw rug in the kitchen that was visibly dirty and when I picked it up to move it there was dirt and dead bug parts under it so obviously it hadn't been moved, washed or even shaken out in awhile. There was a dead cockroach in the sink. Visible dust on the living room tables and TV stand. The kitchen table and coffee table were sticky and the placemats on the table were filthy. The wood floors in the kitchen and living room obviously hadn't been mopped between renters. The bedroom carpets were in need of cleaning. The pool table was not level, the first time we played all the balls rolled to one side so my husband had to find something to put under one of the legs, and the felt is in need of replacing (rips).

We discovered after the first night that the hot tub leaks, we had to add water to it every day, and it could have...no....should have....been cleaner. The bubbling action also never shuts off, the button is broken. Maintenance came out to put a new regulator on the grill and my husband told him about the hot tub but he didn't seem concerned. Also, a couple of days after we got there we discovered the TV in the basement didn't work. We called about it, but they didn't replace it while we were there. We could see water damage on the ceiling, so maybe that is what shorted out the TV, who knows how long it hasn't worked.

The cabin just seemed "old and tired" and if it is privately owned I would be ashamed if I were the owner. And Aunt Bug's needs to hire a new cleaning crew that actually does their job. That was the worst thing we didn't like, paying a "cleaning fee" for the cabin and then having to spend a couple of hours ourselves cleaning what should have been clean. Very disappointing.

We had called them about a few things, but I knew from reading the reports that we wouldn't be refunded our cleaning fee so we didn't even ask.

There have been other reports of things in this cabin that haven't been addressed, even though Aunt Bug's assurred the reviewer that they would be taken care of so I don't think they really care about your rental experience. They have their money, that's what they want.

To their credit they did install a motion light by the driveway, as another reviewer had suggested.

The cabin could be nice if given a little TLC and a good cleaning. Hooks on the doors of the bedrooms, and mounting the bedroom TV's on the wall/ceiling which would free up the tops of the dressers for people to use would be nice.

There were beer cans and a cardboard beer case on the ground in front of the cabin, why didn't the cleaning crew remove them? So many "little things" which one or two would be overlooked, but they just kept adding up and up so made our rental experience not as enjoyable as the experiences we've had with Sunset. But we made the best of it and did enjoy our time in the area, and many of the fun attractions and restaurants and shopping. And the weather was much nicer than in Michigan! :)

There were some good points about the cabin though. We loved the creek, and sitting out on the balcony listening to it. The beds were super comfortable (thin linens though, and blanket dirty), the little fireplace in the living room worked well and was very nice to enjoy, and the internet service was great and fast.

And checkout was kind of a hassle too. They want you to call when you're leaving, which I understand. We left the cabin at 8:00, I tried to call them from my cell phone but their message said the office doesn't open until 9:00. So, I tried to do the on-line checkout but it wouldn't accept my e-mail address (which they had been using to send me e-mails all week) or pass phrase (which they gave me, I didn't choose). So I had to wait until after 9:00 to call and let them know we had checked out an hour ago. Why not have an answering machine so renters can leave their check-out message when they call?

I would not recommend anyone rent from Aunt Bug's unless they get a better cleaning crew and do some real upkeep/maintenance. Maybe they have nicer, newer cabins but we felt the one we had was "kind of old and dirty." Not a great experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

How do you spell vacation nightmare? Acorn Cabin Rentals that's how!!!! Our visit to our annual Smokey Mountain retreat was a Nightmare! We've been here before and enjoy the comforts of a cabin, the scenic beauty of the mountains. This was our first time renting with Acorn Cabin Rentals and I can assure you it will be the last! Our experience in there office was luke warm not the friendliest people we've been use to. Our pervious experience have been with American Patriot Getaways and after this encounter they will be the only ones we will be doing business with!!! Our rental cabin with Acorn is a nice cabin for two people with a minimal stay of two nights! Reason I'm saying this because Acorn rentend us this property to accommodate four people for a week! Dragonfly Dreams is the name of the Cabin we rented. We arrived late to the cabin as we started to unpack we notice there were no closet in this cabin. We saw a bunch of hooks around the room. We figured this would be the best way to hang our things. As I prepared the sofa bed I realiazied the one infront of the chiminey was broken! Someone had writing a sign on duct tape "broken do not use"! I then went upstairs to second sofa bed and set that one up and then realize the springs were coming out of a very slim matters!! then we decide to call there afterhours office to ask for sheets as there were none for the matters they told us someone would bring us sheet in the morning as housekeeping was close for the nights as an answer for the broken sofa bed I was told to use an air matters that was stored in a drawer upstairs.after a very heat conversation someone showed up around midnight with bed sheet for the air matters! The next day my wife called the main office of acorn and spoke to Steven who happens to be one of the managers of this establishment! To our amazement he was not helpful at all in regards to the many issue we encounter. He explain that our issue with the sofa bed was one that could not be resolve due to them only being a rental/ maintanience company. The property owners were the ones responsible for providing them with a new sofa bed and they had not done so! Them knowing this and also knowing they were renting it to us who we happen to be four adults, was extremely disappointing in knowing this we knew were doom! We comment on the fact that we couldn't use the chimney as it would set off the smoke alarm! Steven told us not to use it!!!! We found dirty towels, dirty ac filter and dirty window blinds! Sofa was also dusty! Steven's answer to that was go out enjoy your day I will send a cleaning crew to attend to these issues ! We listen and boy was that the wrong thing to do! Nothing was done about the condition our cabin was in not even the slim matters was replace! I had put the air matters on top of the slim matters and yet sleeping there was not pleasant .The next day I stop by a Walmart and purchase a 24 inch high queen size air matters so we could at least avoid the springs from pinching our backs at night! Wow talk about bad luck! We had it with Acorn Cabin Rentals also know as Aunts Bugs. A bit of humility,kindness and resolve goes a long way!! Not just "the take your money and deal with it "attitude we encounter!!

• Stayed December 2013
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We have been to Tennessee 6 times before but we had never stayed with Acorn Cabin rentals.... By FAR it was the worst experience! I requested a cabin that would not be difficult to drive to and SPECIFIED that I did NOT want it too high up the mountain ... They told me it wasn't ...they lied!!!! It was located in Sky Harbor and lets just say we were in the SKY!!! When we arrived I felt I didn't want to ever leave because I didn't want to have to experience the drive down!!!! This cabin "Dragonfly Dreams" is a 1 bedroom cabin with 2 sofa beds...stated that sleeps 6!!!! NO WAY!!!! When we got to the cabin we didn't have SHEETS!!!! I had to call the emergency number 5 times and they kept insisting that they were there!!! We had our sheets delivered at 11:30PM!!!! And when we removed the cushions of the sofa there was a tape the said "BROKEN DO NOT OPEN" mind you we brought my 75 year old mother and my 13 year old son ....I called AGAIN the emergency line and they told me that wasn't a problem that I should use an air mattress that I thought was a beach raft!!!! The air matters was exactly the width of a raft!!!! Not even a 3 year old child could sleep there comfortably!!!! The sofa bed upstairs was horrible! You could feel every spring on your back!!!! We decided out of desperation to get creative and place the air mattress on top of the sofa bed to try and make it through the night AND the sofa bed was also stained!!! .....not to mention the cabin had not been cleaned in a loooong time!!!We turned on the fire place and the smoke alarm would go off!!!! Therefore we were unable to use it!!!...we thought that in the morning after the location of the cabin, the broken sofa bed, the horrible air mattress, not being able to use the fireplace AND the cabin being soooo dirty they would relocate us....Ohhhh nooooo!!!! I had never in my entire life dealt with such NASTY, SARCASTIC and RUDE people!!! I couldn't believe this was happening!!! They disconnected me several times, they laughed, and every answer started with "Unfortunately" I requested to speak to the person in charge because I couldn't believe anyone could be treated like that and I spoke to Steven!!! By far the nastiest and most sarcastic of ALL!!! His suggestion was to let my mom sleep in the bedroom and for my husband and I sleep on the sofa bed with the raft on top!!!! That's actually what I had to do because I couldn't put my mom to sleep on that!!! He told me that he would send someone to look at the sofa beds and a cleaning team... I asked him how long it would take and he said several hours... I waited over 3 hours and we decided to go do groceries since it was obvious we weren't going anywhere!!! I left something blocking the stairs because I wanted to make sure that someone had actually come in to the cabin.... sure enough it was in the same place I had left it!!!!! Therefore no one showed up to fix the sofa bed, bring a new air mattress or clean the cabin!!!! While doing groceries we decided to buy our own air mattress because I had a BAD feeling and I wasn't wrong!!!!....this cabin is for sale and it's obvious that it needs a lot of maintenance and cleaning!!! I feel terrible for the owners which probably have no idea what "Acorn Cabin Rentals" is all about!!! The next day I woke up in the morning and as I walked toward the bathroom sink I slipped on a puddle of water on the floor ...there was water dripping from the ceiling!!!!!....it only gets worse!!!! Throughout all this I kept trying to call Acorn Cabin Rentals and I kept asking to speak to ANYONE above Steven because I couldn't believe that he would be in charge of customer service ....I was put on eternal hold and disconnected EVERY time!!!!!! We were checking out on Friday January 3 and it snowed a lot on Thursday...I decided to try one last time and also get information on the road conditions and I called them again!!! I thought I had hit the lotto because I was transferred to Sean the person I had been trying to reach for 1 week!!! I told him ALL of my issues and how I had been treated and the condition of the cabin, I also told him that I had taken pictures of everything and all he told me was to send him a copy of the air mattress I had purchased at Walmart!!! ...I sent it and it's been a week and I haven't heard anything!!!! I told him I was EXTREMELY worried with conditions and asked him if it was safe for us to leave...he said YES!!!! He told me that if the truck had passed by cleaning the road we could leave!!! We packed our car and as we drove 1 mile down the mountain out car skidded and we almost killed ourselves!!!!! Thank god my husband was able to maneuver the car towards the mountain and away from the CLIFF!!!! Our car was stuck and we were terrified to even try to move it!!! People came from other cabins and told us that we were crazy to try to drive down sky harbor with the weather condition!!! I desperately tried to call Acorn Cabin Rentals....by the way ALSO known as Aunt Bug's...and sure enough they told me Sean wasn't in and that I should contact a tow truck and all they could offer me was 20%off an extra night!!!! I this point I couldn't believe I could feel soooo hopeless!!! I explained to them that my mom was 75 years old and there was nooooo was she could walk a mile back to the cabin and that she even has a handicapped permit!!! Their suggestion was for me to call 911!!!! I was in tears!!!!! We called several tow truck companies and they told us no one would come up to sky harbor at all!!!! I called 911 and they ALSO told me that the only way they would come is if there was a life and death situation or if someone was badly hurt!!! Because it wasn't safe!!!!! They asked WHY we had left our cabin and I told him I had called Acorn Cabins to check road conditions and that Sean had said it was fine....they even wrote his name .... I'm sure nothing was done!!!!! At this point we were stranded with NO help and my mom not being able to walk back to the cabin and staying in the car was not an option!!! AND it was 15 degrees!!!! The people from a nearby cabin felt our frustration and told us to stay in their cabin overnight and hopefully we could get a tow truck in the morning!!! Thank heavens to these people!!!! They told us they had 6 people knock on their door the night before because they we stranded too!!!! In this case the air mattress came in very handy!!!!! In the morning the roads were still bad but my husband stood by the car and call again dozens of tow truck companies without any luck!... He waited for the man that was plowing the road to come by which he had spoken to the day before and he was KIND enough to help us!!!! Dragonfly NIGHTMARE is a total understatement!!!!! Never EVER stay with Aunt Bugs or Acorn Cabin Rentals!!! I am going to try yo post as many pictures as I can!!!! We work very hard to go on vacation to experience something like this!!!!

Stayed December 2013
Hudson, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have never booked a family vacation with my whole family even the dog. Was so excited as was the rest of the family. Needless to say we were very disappointed with the overall appearance of the place. Dirty bedrooms-huge spiderwebs and Huge spiders. Dirty dishes put in the kitchen drawers that we hand washed before we could use. My kids are in the medical field so lets just say they would not sleep on the sheets. They used towels brought from home on the beds and did not cover up. We were just glad it wasn't cold. We ran out of toilet paper and had to purchase some. Also the Decks were filthy and not usable. The upstairs shower leakedsomething awful. Lets just say we will NOT be coming back. Never paid that much for a place to stay and then felt that we really could not use it to its full potential.the mattresses were of poor quality also and were broken and sagging in the middle.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

This is the first review I have ever posted and I'm not usually one to complain, however Aunt Bugs is a terrible place to stay!!!! This was my third year coming back to TN (previously stayed with chalet village and cabins for you which both stays were wonderful!) this year we stayed with aunt bugs due to last minute trip planning. This was not a cheap "you get what you pay for" purchase! The dishes were chipped, cabin was dirty, giant aunts everywhere, broken pool sticks, dirty hot tub, RUDE staff!!! And when I call the same night to let the staff know of the issues they simply say their customer service manager isn't in so they can't do anything about it tonight. So I ask they fix all the broken and reclean..she said someone would be up to clean the next day. Our cabin was never touched! Instead we came back to aunts all over our kitchen table!!!! DO NOT RENT FROM AUNT BUGS!!! The name says it all! BUGS!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed at cabin #279, A Walk in the Woods. The cabin is secluded, but close to town. We walked it a couple of times, but the trip back up the mountain is NOT fun! The cabin itself was great, clean and well maintained. The supplies, dishes, pots & pans were on the skimpy side. The views were great and the hot tub was clean. We didn't have any real issues with the cabin itself. The employees, on the other hand, were TERRIBLE. They were rude, not helpful, and very impatient. There was one nice young man I spoke to who gave me directions to the cabin, but everyone else was RUDE!! I called a couple of times about minor issues and they acted like I was stupid and bothering them. But again, once we got to the cabin we had a great time!

Room Tip: A Walk in the Woods