“Extremely Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
“Extremely Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

This was the one restaurant that my husband was really looking forward to visiting, and we were all very disappointed. The service was bad and ridiculously slow. There were placards on the table "explaining" the slow service: food from scratch takes a while to make, but our wait time was too long. There was only one other party, which had received their food, so there was no explanation for the pitiful service. My husband's beer bottle sat dry and empty, and we couldn't even find our waitress to ask for another one. By the time that she finally brought him a fresh beer, mine was empty, too. When we finally received our food orders, we were very pleased with the quality of the fried fish (which is the only reason that I gave this review two stars instead of one), but the chips with it were greasy and soggy. When I asked if they gave a discount to military members, I was told, "Yes, 15%," then the waitress grabbed my itemized receipt to take it back and give us the discount. When she returned several minutes later, she only had the totaled receipt and told me that the couldn't give us a military discount, but they would give us a 10% "locals" discount. When I asked where the itemized receipt was, she told me that they'd thrown it away. I asked her to get it, and another several minutes later she returned with a wadded up receipt from the trash. Since we were all past ready to leave, I shoved it in my purse for later. After returning home I double-checked the receipt and found an additional charge in the amount of $14.95 for "service". I immediately called the phone number on the receipt and found a number with no "mailbox set-up", so I couldn't talk to anyone about the mysterious "service" charge or even leave a message. I have never been so swindled out of my money or time at a restaurant in my life. The biggest disappointment of our vacation. Don't waste your time or your money in this place.

Auburn, Indiana
“Excellent & Pet Friendly!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We found the Fox & Parrot through BringFido.com. We were on a trip to the Smokies and were looking for a place to have dinner with our dog. First let me say that this was exactly as my uncle had described pubs when he was stationed in England. It truly was an authentic pub. It is located on the 2nd floor about a shop. The furniture includes not only a mismatch of tables and chairs but also living room furniture around a TV and fireplace. We were even allowed to eat inside with our dog. If you are looking for a cookie cutter chain restaurant that serves american beers, this is not your place. However, if you are looking for an authentic pub then this is a must visit on your trip. The staff was warm and welcoming. We loved the Beatles music and checking out all of the unique decor on the walls. And the food...well it was definitely cooked to order. I had the beer battered fish and chips and my wife had the chicken pie with chips. Everything was hot and fresh and tasted amazing! We also had the chance to meet the owner Brian who has done a great job of giving both the locals and tourist a taste of a real pub. And the imported beer was also amazing! We will definitely be back on our next trip to Gatlinburg.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Palestine
“Gattlinburg's hidden secret for foodies!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Wonderful food, music, location, and people. The menu is wonderfully simple but not underestimated with what they choose to serve. Great beer and beverage selection. I'm super glad we accidentally drove by this establishment off of the beaten path.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sanford, North Carolina
“Great Surprise!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

An English pub in the back woods of Gatlinburg? Yep. Not a big beer drinker, but any place that has this many foreign beers on tap, is a good place to visit. Not sure how many were British as my eyes didn't get past the Guinness. More beers than menu items. Wife had the beef and mushroom pie and I had the brats because I wasn't very hungry. Meal came out with 2 brats loaded w/'kraut and spicy brown mustard (none of that 'yellow' stuff) and a large helping of 'chips'. So much for 'not being hungry'. Both meals were outstanding. Service was quick and friendly as were the other customers. A very laid back and relaxing atmosphere. Only drawback was climbing the 2 flights of stairs, but if you can manage that it is well worth it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Madison, Wisconsin
“Nice out of the way pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We try to seek out local places on vacation, and this place did not dissapoint. We wouldn't have even know it existed, but pulled out our phones and started looking for places around suppertime. This place was right around the corner, and we figured we'd try it.

This place is a diamond in the rough. We weren't sure what we were getting into, since it's on the second floor of a shop and out by itself. We were quickly put at easy by the very friendly waitress and other people eating there. Beer selection was great, and the food was as well.

Bonus points for a child's play area located in the pub as well. Usually not something you'd find in a place like this, but our toddler loved being able to stretch his legs and play. It made our experience better too!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere