“Very happy with our stay!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Mountain House Motor Inn Downtown
247 Newton Lane, Gatlinburg, TN 37738 (Formerly Econo Lodge Downtown)   |
Ranked #17 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Chicago, Illinois
“Very happy with our stay!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2006

We stayed 6 nights here the second week of July and we were very pleased. We had a King room with a Sofa pull out and it was a decent size room. We loved having a fridge and microwave. The fridge is also a larger "small" fridge so we could fit lots of soda, snacks, etc which was important for us since we had 2 adults and kids - 11, 9, 3, and 7 month old. There was also a lot of storage space by the fridge. The bathroom/vanity area was a bit outdated, but it didn't really matter. More importantly - everything was clean and stayed clean. I know in previous reviews they state problems with cleaning staff. My husband was in a conversation with the hotel owner one afternoon and she said they were replacing the cleaning staff that week becuase they were not happy with them. So that may take care of any previous cleaning issues. We actually had no cleaning problems.

The pool was also well maintained and it was great that the kiddie pool is actually built into the larger pool so my 3 yr old could interact with me and the older kids while we swam. There was a second pool that looked nice too but it wasn't near our room.

Another nice bonus was an on-site washer and dryer.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Lastly, it is an excellent location. It's only a block from the main strip on the Aquarium end. It's far enough away from all that congestion and noise, but still close enough to walk to the strip.

This place is not a new and fancy chain or exclusive individual hotel, but it was one of the 5 cheapest I found (and I looked at almost every one!) and considering the number of hotels to pick from this is a good price. (I saw several for the same price range in Pigeon Fordge, but all had reviews of 2!) But more importantly - it's a decent place to stay. Clean, friendly, pool, fridge, good size room, and great location.

• Liked — Storage space, room size, clean
  • Disliked — Bathroom/vanity area outdated -
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

We stayed at the Mountain House Motor Inn this past weekend and it was great. We are from Cleveland and never have been to the Smokies before. The main reason we stayed there was because of all the reviews we read. The grounds are beautiful and the staff was great. The rooms were clean and the whole place was well kept. It is off of the main road and very peaceful and every room had a great view of the moutains. I highly recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2006
Richmond, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

We stayed here again this year as we do every year. Some things have changed at this motel and some are not so good. We stayed here for 5 nights. The sweeper was never run the entire time we were there. The window sils were dirty and had dead flies in them. I talked to the cleaning staff as one day they did not touch our rooms at all. They said are short handed and some things had to be let go. The young couple that works in the office at night were not interested in taking care of customers needs or working at all. We have been repeat customers for years but will have to think hard about returning to this motel again.

• Stayed May 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2006

This hotel was great! I was a little worried about what to expect because it was so cheap but much to my surprise it was great. Free high speed internet made the stay worth it alone. The rooms were nice and for the most part clean (The trash hadn't been emptied when we got there but when I told the sweet lady at the front desk she took care of it immediately and apologized greatly). Outside of that it was great. Short walk to the main strip. Coffee maker, microwave, and refrigerator all in the room was very cool and convenient. To help decide, I went with the most picky man I know and he still talks about how great it was. I will stay here again for sure.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2006

My family and I were down here for a wedding, so there were other parties with us. The room we had, had an adjoining room. One of my family members had that room. That was very convenient for us to easily go from room to room. Our room was clean. We liked having the microwave and fridge available. There was a vanity area/sink, which is separate from the toilet/shower room. That was great. I guess the thing that got our attention was the height of the shower head. It was pretty short. I'm 6'1. The shower temperature fluctuated from cold to scolding. Also, the proximity of the hotel to the back entrance of the Village made it an easy walk to the strip.

• Stayed February 2006
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2004

The motel was at a very nice location, only a block to the Aquarium. It was near a nice mountain stream and in a quieter place then the main strip.
It was nice being able to get to the motel and avoiding most of the terrible Gatlinburg traffic. The motel was of pretty good quality-- not brand new and ultra modern, but nice enough. The furnishings looked pretty good, not old and beat up looking or anything. It lacked amenities like no continental breakfast, no hairdryers, iron/ironing boards in rooms. The one thing that I didn't like was no coffee maker in the room and strangely, no clock in the room. I asked at the desk for a clock thinking it was just a mistake and was told none of the rooms had clocks, which was a first for me when staying in a motel/hotel. Overall, aside from the coffee maker and clock we were pleased for the price.

Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2004

Stayed her for one night-May 28 2004.

This was our first trip to Gatlinburg and we will not stop in Gatlinburg again-the town itself is in a lovely position but is ruined by all the excesses of a downmarket English holiday resort-neon lights,teenagers cruising the main street in their cars, downmarket restaurants etc.

We chose this motel for position and because it was inexpensive. It is an older building with outside corridors close to town centre. Receptionist was very friendly and welcoming.Our room was clean but towels and shower were inadequate. No breakfast is included but coffee is available in the office. Buying breakfast outside clearly is an inconvenience and added expense .In summary this motel is battleweary and does not have the facilities one now expects.We did not use the pool although it looked inviting. We would not rush back here.

Been to Mountain House Motor Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!