“Very Nice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
North Carlolina
“Very Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

Very friendly staff, wonderful room with fireplace and jaquizi overlooking creek for a very reasonable price. I don't know where the negative reviews come from and I was worried until we got there, but the concerns went away within 5 minutes. Also, the indoor pool was awesome on this very cold weekend.

• Liked — Coziness
  • Disliked — No night restaurant and bar
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

This place is a DIVE. My 11 year old son even complained about the room. He said "On a scale from 1-6 I'd rate this place a 1." The burgundy shag carpet in our room was so old and worn that the traffic path was a muddy color. I wouldn't allow my son to go barefoot in the room. The bedspread and blanket were thread bare and nasty. There were bad scuffs and dings on the plaster walls-the walls were badly painted & no paint on the trim work. The bathroom was awful. The tub leaked and had pealing paint at the drain. There was mold growing on the bathroom ceiling and the shower curtain did not seem to be an appropriate type of curtain at all. The room was so dark that with 3 lamps in the bedroom and lights on in the vanity area it was still difficult to properly apply make-up. The art work (HA!) I'm SURE came from a dollar store 30 or more years ago. This place was just so WRONG on so many levels!

The room was nasty enough that I felt the need to search for bed bugs or worse on the bed (I didn't see any to my suprise or any other bug-however it was 13 degrees that night). I took my son to see the pool and he didn't even want to go in it because the water was so cloudy. We didn't go near the restaurant. If I hadn't paid in advance for the room through Expedia, I would have looked at the room and told the desk thanks but No thanks. Folks, there are just too many hotels in Gatlinburg to waste your money on this dump. This place reminded me of the "old school" no tell motels along I-40 back in the 60's.

I will however give the housekeeping staff Kudos for doing the best they could with what little they had to work with. They did keep the room stocked with towels and they at least attempted to vacuume. The family that owns this place ought to be ashamed. There is absolutely no excuse for not even trying to update.

If you need to penny -pinch, I suggest you stay further out like Sevierville or Pigeon Forge. In retrospect, I would gladly have paid an additional 30$ or more a night for even the most basic of creature comforts. Tsk ,tsk ,tsk , shame on the owners!

Stayed November 2008
robertswifey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

We booked this hotel via internet. When we arrived, the staff was SUPER friendly. We had to stay in the room across the street because we stayed courtside. We got into the room, plopped down on the bed and SMACK it felt like we layed on a board! We decided to go eat supper and so when we left my *fiance*, which became my husband the next day :), called the desk and told them there was no sticker on the heater to tell how to turn the heater up and down. They already had it fixed when we came back! The next morning when we took a shower apparently ALL of the church kids were taking showers also, so there was NO hot water. Well, after we got married we came back to the room later that night and decided to go get in the sauna and pool. I sat on the side of the tub to shave my legs, the water was actually warm then, and in the middle of shaving my legs, the water scalded my leg, I mean no warning that it was going to get that hot or anything, and it left a pretty big nasty mark on my leg, not to mention it hurt too. Then we went to the sauna, which was very nice. The pool was a little chilly but we enjoyed it. I would advise anyone NOT to go when church groups are there because they have NO respect for anyone. They have dirty mouths and they are up screaming at about 7 am every morning. Apparently the hotel is close to a convention center, which could be good or bad. Bad in our situation, cause those little church kids are not behaved very well. If we do stay again, it would have to be cheaper and in the main hotel, where it doesn't get as rowdy as the courtside. But although we had some bad experiences with the hotel, I know that some things were not their fault (like the church kids). The staff here was EXEPTIONAL, I would just call before I made reservations to make sure there were no church conventions going on.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — supposed to have WIFI, but they do not let you know that you don't have it across the street and we wanted that :(
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

I recently stayed at this hotel for a last minute get away to Gatlinburg and I was not disappointed. Anyone that has been to Gatlinburg will know that luxury accommodations are not part of the deal-at least near downtown. Because we decided at the last minute and the rate for our room was so low, I was a little nervous about what to expect. However, I did not need to be nervous! The room was small and a bit outdated, but it had a little fridge and we have the cutest little balcony over looking a small creek with a little waterfall. We had a great time at the indoor pool and hot tub, it is so nice. Also, the staff was so nice and accommodating. I did not stay in the courtside, but I can tell you it is worth the money to stay in the main hotel, it is definitely nicer and not much more expensive (none of the hotels in Gatlinburg are particularly expensive). We had no problem walking to town for dinner, it is not a far walk at all, although we are a young couple. I would definitely return to this hotel again, it was a good time.

• Liked — The pool and hot tub.
  • Disliked — They did not allow us to bring our dog
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Beckley WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

I loved this hotel! I had read all of the reviews and thought it may be outdated, but the room we had was not, it was current,clean and the staff were all great. It was too cool to use the outdoor pool , but it was nice and clean. The indoor pool was warm and perfect for families, judging by the amount of children in it playing and having fun. The Cafe' was handy in case you didn't feel like going out for a meal. It was close enough to downtown Gatlinburg to walk easily or take the trolley, yet far enough away not to be bothered by all the site seers and commotion of the walking traffic. We loved the small balcony overlooking the creek and we will stay there again when we return!

Stayed October 2008
Knoxville, TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

The rates were pretty decent and for the price quoted, so I thought the hotel would be at least half way nice. Boy, was I wrong. From my wedding party, there were 7 rooms we rented. Every single room was dirty and unclean. One room had moldy carpet, which the hotel did upgrade them to a larger room at no charge. Another room had no wallpaper, wood covering the balcony door, and rubber stripping as the baseboards. The towels were disgustingly dirty and stained and the shower was hot and cold every thirty seconds. I was so embarrased to have suggested these rooms to my wedding guests. Parking spaces are minimal and I witnessed a hit and run in the parking lot. And there were bugs coming from the balcony door which didn't lock.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dirtiness of the rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winder, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

If you decide that you dont want to be right in the action of downtown Gatlinburg you may be interested in this hotel. I would say its a good mile from down town, its walking distance but you better beileve after having to walk back up hill for a mile you are exhasted. If you like quiet you will want to stay in the courtside part of the hotel, The rooms are big and the beds are comfy but the odor of former guest smoking is horrible (not to mention you take the smell with you home in your clothes and bags) and the rooms are so out dated. If you book on courtside and you get a room on the top floor you will be walking to your room from one of two stairways let just hope your room is not on the end like ours was. In the courtside part of this hotel you feel like you dont even belong with the main Sidney James Hotel when they say its across the street .... its across the street. The courtside I would give a C-. If you have kids you would enjoy staying in the main hotel, this is where the indoor pool and big outdoor pool is, also there is a cafe. The Jacuzzi that is by the indoor pool had some type of green alge stuff growing on the handle and the pool inside was real cloudy, but this side of the hotel seems to be keep up alot better than the courtside. I am not sure we will stay here again when we go back.

• Liked — Quiet
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sidney James Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!