“unkept and a little scary” 1 of 5 stars

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   610 Historic Nature Trail, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #59 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Athens, Georgia, United States
“unkept and a little scary”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The room we stayed in was very outdated and unkept. LOOK AT THE PICS I POSTED WITH THIS!!!! The latch lock on the door was broken off and there was a hole in the wall behind the door leading me to believe the door was at one time kicked or smashed in (that made us feel really safe). Needless to say we pulled the nightstand infront of the door while we slept. The paint was peeling off on the ceiling, the tiles in the bathroom were chipped in a few places, the paint on the bathroom door was peeling, and the light fixtures were straight from the 70's. This was suppose to be a king jacuzzi suite, which I would have thought it would be nicer than the regular room. There was dirt around the whirl pool tub and the hot water handle on the whirl pool tub was broken. It took my husband fooling with the handle for thirty minutes before he finally was able to get it to run. Also there was no iron in the room...what hotel these days doesn't provide an iron. The hotel was about a mile walk from downtown gatlinburg. If I was you, I would find something else. The is definitely NOT worth the money we spent on it. If we could have found another place to stay while we were in town we would have! Oh and did I mention the bugs in the lights inside the room!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SRMAPLES, General Manager at Sidney James Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear NikkiP

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. Please accept my apology for your less than satisfactory stay with us. It is our goal to consistently deliver exceptional service We’ve addressed your concerns with our maintaince and housekeeping staff to avoid a similar situation in the future. We do provide Irons and Ironing boards available at the front desk or upon request. Again I apologize to you for not meeting our goal for you! Our Customer.

Sincerely
SMaples, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed several times here and have always left feeling kinda sad because of the way i have been treated here (Great!). My wife and I will be back twice in 2013 going back to OHIO for summer for a week and excited to visit again at Christmas time for. Week Plus. Five stars for us.

• Stayed October 2012
Winfield, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My family & I try to come to Gatlinburg a couple of times a year. We always stay at the Sydney James! The people there make you feel so at home & it's so close to everything, yet feels so private. Every Valentines my husband takes me there & they have grown so use to use, they make sure I get a club room with fireplace so my husband & I can have a romantic getaway! I love you guys! Hope to see you before Valentines, but if not..... See you then!

Room Tip: If you choose a Club Room, you have access to indoor pool & hot tub 24hrs a day!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
New Philadelphia, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Dear Sidney James, my son and I came for a week long religious convention and had an awesome creekside room with a 24/7 bubbling brook that rushed faster after the rains. I could not have asked for a more relaxing room or welcoming staff. And all within a 5 minute downhill walk to the convention center & downtown so I didn't need to pay for parking. Thanks so very much! PS: You need to let people know to go to the National Park entrance just up the hill because we got to see bears there! and we almost made it to Rainbow Falls. So next time,same room, hike the Rainbow Falls Trail, see the bears, ride the horses, taste the wine, listen to the creek bubble ...

Room Tip: My ground level room had parking right outside. The creek was just below the balcony. If you go to t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SRMAPLES, General Manager at Sidney James Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Drear ekamakat

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Your comments are appreciated by our staff and management who all work very hard. We are glad to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with your son. The bears have actually been on property this week and that’s pretty common during the late fall season. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Again, Thank You for your review.

Birchwood, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I travel all over the country chasing storms and have stayed in my share of hotels, motels and lodges. While the decor is dated and a deep cleaning would not hurt, I recommend Sydney James for its friendly staff and streamside rooms. When I take time off from chasing and everyday life I enjoy the retreat i can get from Sidney James. Rates are competitive as well. Last time I was there i had a cabin with another company and show and ice was in the forecast. Given the winding unkept roads in the mountains where the cabin was I called Sidney James late at night and got a room with the heat turn on and waiting for me. Less then advertised rate also! That assured their high marks with me!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear TornadoChaser2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Your comments are greatly appreciated by all here at the Sidney James Mountain Lodge. We are very happy to know that you are a repeat guest and that with all the choices for lodging in our area, you choose us.

Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Belmont, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The place needs some deep cleaning it seemed ..but they were very pleasant and check in was a breeze..Its cozy and it has a retro feel ..so updates need finished..But we enjoy a stay. i think pll make the best or worse of a trip..we made the best..I would like to go back and see if changes have been made. Location is great BTW..just wish parking was increased.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first..if its off a little..then ask for another..they were nice to us!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Marceya H

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize for the things that did not meet your expectation. I also appreciate your positive outlook. So many times people focus only on the negative and there is always room for improvement. Our guest reviews give us valuable information to deliver the best experience possible, and we appreciate your feedback. Please visit us again the next time you’re in the area, and tell us how we’re doing. Once again, Thank you.

Maineville, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had such a great weekend in Gatlinburg,Tennessee That we decided to stay an extra night! Friday and Saturday we stayed at the Park Vista Double Tree Hilton. We checked out on Sunday and headed toward Cherokee,NC Once there we decided to go back to Gatlinburg. We checked pricing and settled on Sidney James Mountain Lodge. It was already late and we didn't want to spend a lot of money for just a quick overnight stay. Before I get started, I'm not trying to compare apples to oranges. We knew this hotel was no Park Vista being $100.00 cheaper per night. So, we went into this with an open mind. However, The following should make you think twice before spending your' hard earned $80.00 as there are so many choices in town that I feel is money better spent. The appearance of the hotel was terrible. Seemed as though the owners put no efforts in upkeep. The room smelled of mold and upon inspection I could see where the ceiling had water damages. The carpet was filthy and all the furniture was outdated. The bathroom had a drop ceiling and the framework was heavily rusting. I felt as if I had stepped back in time into the 1970's The screen to the window was ripped and lady bugs poured into the room. Don't let the creek view description fool you either. The sound of the running creek was soothing. But, the view was less then that. Look beyond the creek and you get a vacant parking lot and a back road going up into the hillside. Again the patio furniture was not inviting and was out dated. Summing up my experience, I couldn't sleep thinking about what could be creeping into my luggage. And, we both woke up with sinus issues!! I honestly would've enjoyed a stay in my SUV a lot better

Room Tip: Do not recommend staying here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear heyjimmy23

Thank you for taking time to write a review. As a steward of Gatlinburg, I am glad to that you enjoyed our town and decided to return for an additional nights stay. I am also glad you enjoyed your stay with one of our neighbors, the Park Vista Hotel by Doubletree. They just recreantly underwent a 11 million dollar renovation. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay at our property. While our property is not shiny and new, it is clean and comfortable. Our location, as you stated, has many of our rooms and suites located creek side. This does and has always presented a challenge for our maintenance and housekeeping staff in regards to the moisture generated by the creek. The rooms located on the ground floor will more likely have a “damp” smell. The rooms on the 4th floor, not so much. We have many return guest who prefer to stay as close to the creek as they can, while others prefer the upper floors with a better view of the mountains. The Sidney James Mountain Lodge is a part of Gatlinburg’s History. While we can’t be all things to all people, we do care about the many guest who stay with us and return to our property year after year.
Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We regret that we did not meet your expectations. We have shared your comments with our staff regarding your issues and apologize for the inconvenience.
I do hope you continue visiting our beautiful town, Gatlinburg, Tennessee.
Sincerely
SMaples, GM

Been to Sidney James Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!