“Home Sweet Home” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Birchwood, Tennessee
“Home Sweet Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I travel all over the country chasing storms and have stayed in my share of hotels, motels and lodges. While the decor is dated and a deep cleaning would not hurt, I recommend Sydney James for its friendly staff and streamside rooms. When I take time off from chasing and everyday life I enjoy the retreat i can get from Sidney James. Rates are competitive as well. Last time I was there i had a cabin with another company and show and ice was in the forecast. Given the winding unkept roads in the mountains where the cabin was I called Sidney James late at night and got a room with the heat turn on and waiting for me. Less then advertised rate also! That assured their high marks with me!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SRMAPLES, General Manager at Sidney James Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear TornadoChaser2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Your comments are greatly appreciated by all here at the Sidney James Mountain Lodge. We are very happy to know that you are a repeat guest and that with all the choices for lodging in our area, you choose us.

Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you in the future.

SMaples, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Belmont, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The place needs some deep cleaning it seemed ..but they were very pleasant and check in was a breeze..Its cozy and it has a retro feel ..so updates need finished..But we enjoy a stay. i think pll make the best or worse of a trip..we made the best..I would like to go back and see if changes have been made. Location is great BTW..just wish parking was increased.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first..if its off a little..then ask for another..they were nice to us!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Marceya H

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize for the things that did not meet your expectation. I also appreciate your positive outlook. So many times people focus only on the negative and there is always room for improvement. Our guest reviews give us valuable information to deliver the best experience possible, and we appreciate your feedback. Please visit us again the next time you’re in the area, and tell us how we’re doing. Once again, Thank you.

Maineville, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had such a great weekend in Gatlinburg,Tennessee That we decided to stay an extra night! Friday and Saturday we stayed at the Park Vista Double Tree Hilton. We checked out on Sunday and headed toward Cherokee,NC Once there we decided to go back to Gatlinburg. We checked pricing and settled on Sidney James Mountain Lodge. It was already late and we didn't want to spend a lot of money for just a quick overnight stay. Before I get started, I'm not trying to compare apples to oranges. We knew this hotel was no Park Vista being $100.00 cheaper per night. So, we went into this with an open mind. However, The following should make you think twice before spending your' hard earned $80.00 as there are so many choices in town that I feel is money better spent. The appearance of the hotel was terrible. Seemed as though the owners put no efforts in upkeep. The room smelled of mold and upon inspection I could see where the ceiling had water damages. The carpet was filthy and all the furniture was outdated. The bathroom had a drop ceiling and the framework was heavily rusting. I felt as if I had stepped back in time into the 1970's The screen to the window was ripped and lady bugs poured into the room. Don't let the creek view description fool you either. The sound of the running creek was soothing. But, the view was less then that. Look beyond the creek and you get a vacant parking lot and a back road going up into the hillside. Again the patio furniture was not inviting and was out dated. Summing up my experience, I couldn't sleep thinking about what could be creeping into my luggage. And, we both woke up with sinus issues!! I honestly would've enjoyed a stay in my SUV a lot better

Room Tip: Do not recommend staying here
Dear heyjimmy23

Thank you for taking time to write a review. As a steward of Gatlinburg, I am glad to that you enjoyed our town and decided to return for an additional nights stay. I am also glad you enjoyed your stay with one of our neighbors, the Park Vista Hotel by Doubletree. They just recreantly underwent a 11 million dollar renovation. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay at our property. While our property is not shiny and new, it is clean and comfortable. Our location, as you stated, has many of our rooms and suites located creek side. This does and has always presented a challenge for our maintenance and housekeeping staff in regards to the moisture generated by the creek. The rooms located on the ground floor will more likely have a “damp” smell. The rooms on the 4th floor, not so much. We have many return guest who prefer to stay as close to the creek as they can, while others prefer the upper floors with a better view of the mountains. The Sidney James Mountain Lodge is a part of Gatlinburg’s History. While we can’t be all things to all people, we do care about the many guest who stay with us and return to our property year after year.
Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We regret that we did not meet your expectations. We have shared your comments with our staff regarding your issues and apologize for the inconvenience.
I do hope you continue visiting our beautiful town, Gatlinburg, Tennessee.
Sincerely
Shepherdsville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I where taking a vacation in Gatlinburg TN and needed a hotel to stay at. I looked a various places on the interent and settled on Sidney James Mountain Lodge. The pictures on the internet site where beautiful and the price was very good. The hotel was located in a run down area of Gatlinburg. Upon checking in and going to our room I was shocked! The room looked like something out of the 1950's with beat up furniture and dirty. I then went to the manager and told him that I wanted the room that was shown on the internet or a refund. I was told that he personally took the pictures of the rooms for the website and that if I wanted a refund I would only get back 1 nights stay since I had checked in already. Please don't pay in advance for this place before you see the rooms!

Dear jdgary

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. I am sorry you did not like the location of our property. I’m sure our neighbors like the Glenstone Lodge, Holiday Inn Vacations, Park Vista Hotel by Doubletree and the Town Square Resort don’t feel that we are in a “run down” part of town. While the Sidney James Mountain Lodge is not shiny and new and not located in the middle of downtown, we are clean and comfortable and provide lodging to many patrons who return year after year. We regret that we did not meet your expectations and apologize for any inconvenience.

Goodlettsville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at Sidney James from Oct 11 to Oct 14th. This was our first time staying at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The on site cafeteria was very convienient. We ate there 3 times during our stay. The food was good and the prices were reasonable. Cheaper than anywhere else in town. The indoor pool was a hit with my son. The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable. The only negative thing I would have to say was the parking. There seemed to be more rooms than they had parking spots for. If you don't get in early you have to park in the vacant lot next door but not a big deal as I need the excercise anyway. The trolley stops right in front of the hotel so if you don't mind waiting a few minutes it is convienient. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I think any of them would be fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Hurt

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Your comments are greatly appreciated by all here at the Sidney James Mountain Lodge. We hear about our Great indoor pool almost every day. Guests who were here as teenagers are now bringing their children to swim in our pool because they loved it then and their kids love it now. Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Clarksville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

The only positive thing i can say is the staff was friendly. But that is it. The room was suppse to be smoke free but yet it smelled like a bar. Then the second room they gave us smelled also, just not as bad, well until my kids opened the door to the fridge and found an old take out container with rotting salad in it. The beds stunk too mostly the sheets, they smelled as if they were not washed. Overall we could not stay another night, it would have made our visit to Gatlinberg unpleasent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mount Vernon, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The location of this lodge is great for visiting Gatlinburg or the natiional park. While the lodge is clean, there was a strange odor in our room. The hotel and room looked "worn" and could really benefit from an update. The bathroom in our creekside room was incredibly small. The parking area was not well lit. Not a bad place based on the price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sidney James Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!