“Would Visit Again” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Chicago, Illinois
“Would Visit Again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We payed the extra to have a creek-side room, which was nice. The trees screened the neon lights and street. It was fairly handicap-accessable--smooth sidewalks, with ramps, and room was ground-level. We were a distance from the lobby, where the breakfast was served, but it was an easy path for pushing a wheelchair. There are few handicap parking spaces, though--I think I saw three total and they were always filled. The parking lot was always near capacity, but we did always manage to find an empty space. The location was good--near the national park, so didn't have to drive through all the busy bustle of the Parkway to get to it. Several restaurants nearby, within easy walking distance, even with the wheelchair. The breakfast was alright, and there was a nice variety offered--cheese omelettes, sausage, oatmeal, waffles, doughnuts, muffins, fruit, coffee, juices, milk, and more. It was always busy at breakfast, though, and tables were at a premium. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful--assisted me with getting oriented and provided map and directions. The room and bathroom was okay--a bit cramped for a Hampton, but seemed fairly clean. We declined attention to the room the first day by leaving the do not disturb sign out, as we just didn't want our stuff bothered and we had plenty of towels, etc. When we returned that evening, housekeeping had left a plastic bag with clean towels and coffee packets for us outside our door. The next day, they did clean the room, but I was suspicious that just MAYBE they had re-made the beds with the same sheets. The beds and pillows were comfortable, which were a welcome relief after just having left an expensive hotel that had crappy mattress (it wasn't a Hampton!). The room had a microwave, fridge, and coffee maker, as well, as hair dryer, iron and board, and t.v. My only complaint was that both doors--to parking lot and patio-- had large gaps (1/2 inch, or more) between the bottom of the door and the floor. That wasn't a huge deal, except made me a bit nervous, when I saw a critter sniffing about on the patio, which could have squeezed in, had it really wanted to do so. I banged on the door, though, so it took off, instead. Overall, we were satsified, although this didn't seem quite up to par as is usual with Hampton Inns--maybe just because the room was smaller than is typical and the door led to the outside, instead of an interior hallway. I would stay here again, as the reviews for other lodges on the parkway seemed not so good.

Room Tip: Ask for ground level, if problems walking, or with stairs. Creek side is a bit more expensive, but...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

When arriving I was early and they let us in which was nice. When in room noticed FRESH LOOD on comforter. They came right up and changed the bed. Was supposed to have a balcony on creek side. INSTEAD HAD A BALCONY TO THE PARKING LOT. End tables had a drawer and then the underside was open lik a cubby. NOT QUITE SURE WHEN IT WAS DUSTED LAST. Bathroom sink area spotted with water and soap, and soap dish was still filthy. You really need to keep an eye on you're housekeeping dept. Oh yes and was supposed to have a fitness center and was told would have to cut throught to the back of hotel to the hotel next door because they shared it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HamptonInnGatlinburg, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Gatlinburg, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room and I am very sorry for this experience. We take a lot of pride in our guests being satisfied and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am working with our housekeeping staff to prevent this from happening in the future. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, you will consider staying with us again.

Sheldon Rice
Dyersburg, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hampton Inn for 5 days, and 4 nights in October. We were treated
exceptionally well from the moment we checked in up until the time we left. The woman at the front desk was efficient, and friendly, and gave us a list of recommended restaurants to eat at, their locations, and another list of places that would deliver to the hotel....all as we checked in, and had not asked her for this info! Our room was exactly as I saw on the website...roomy, clean, wonderful bedding, a fireplace, and a small balcony....perfect for the two of us! The free continental breakfast each morning was amazing...something different every day, along with fruits, doughnuts, cereals, waffles, bagels....biscuits and gravy, omelets, eggs, etc! It was always hot and fresh, and delicious! We had the best location( I think) of any hotel in downtown Gatlinburg......walk out of your room and you are within walking distance to any attraction, restaurant, arcade, shopping outlets, etc. This hotel really is in the middle of downtown...we were in our vehicle once during our stay, otherwise, we walked. We will most definitely stay here again...I would not consider any hotel or motel, after the excellent service, ( and price), that we received!!

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I am spoiled. I admit it. I have stayed in Hampton Inns across the country, and I love them. I like the great service, I like the clean bedding, I like the free (real) breakfast. So, when I stayed at the Hampton Inn at Gatlinburg, it was a great place to stay, but it felt a bit tired and a little bit shopworn. I don’t know the hotel’s history, but I got the feeling that a hotel/motel has been on the spot for a very long time and that Hampton/Hilton converted it to the present property. Knowing that the Hilton Garden Inn is directly behind the Hampton reinforces this thought. Don’t get me wrong, staying at the Hampton Inn Gatlinburg, after seeing the other properties from the outside, was a real step up. However, compared to the other Hampton Inns we stayed in (Kingman, AZ; Warwick, RI; Dobson, NC; Raleigh/Durham, NC) this one seems kind of tired. Last but not least, the fitness center wasn’t yet built out (planned for the third floor). Going to the Hilton Garden Inn next door wasn’t what my spouse would even consider. So, it was a pleasant stay, the staff were great, it's got a fabulous location, but it's not first class.

Room Tip: Third or fourth floor on the creek side is a better choice then looking directly at the Hilton Garde...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HamptonInnGatlinburg, General Manager at Hampton Inn Gatlinburg, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us! We appreciate your comments and feedback, and use them to make imporvements to both our property and our service.

Our hotel is an older Hampton Inn, and was built as a Hampton in 1992. However, at the beginning of this year we spent $2 million dollars on updating our guest rooms, lobby, pool, and parking lot. We are committed to keeping up with the Hampton Standards, and to bringing our guests the accomodations and service they have come to expect (and deserve) from Hampton.

There are a few things we have left to complete such as the fitness center, and I apologize for the inconveniece of not having ready during your stay. We do hope to have it open by the end of the year.

Thank you, again, for your review. We hope that you will stay with us again when you return to Gatlinburg.

Christie Jordan
pgh,pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I just got back from a visit to the area and stayed at this Hampton Inn 2 nights. We have stayed a numerous Hamptons and this one did not let us down. Great location to hike the Smokeys and then walk into town for dinner and shopping. Really a perfect location to visit both the mountains and Gatlinburg. The staff was friendly and also were all very helpful. The breakfast was what you expect from Hampton Inns. Would gladly recommend this hotel to anybody visiting the area

Room Tip: We did not select a Creek View room and we were always so tired that we never sat outside
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We chose a room with a creek view, fireplace in the room. The room was clean, and modern. The bathroom was very up to date. The fireplace was more for ambiance than for heat. Great location. Would stay again.

• Stayed January 2012
NORWALK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We have stayed here at least 50 nights over the years. It is neat and clean and recently refrigerators and microwaves have been installed in all rooms. Staff is particularly helpful and friendly. Ask and you shall receive help frequently it is volunteered without asking. Ivan the young man who runs the breakfast most of the time is a real gem. He really tries his best. We stay in many Hampton Inns throughout the year, but this is one of our favorites.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Gatlinburg? Share your experiences!