“Still have mixed feelings” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Old Creek Lodge

You added Old Creek Lodge to your Saves list
Old Creek Lodge
680 River Road, Gatlinburg, TN 37738 (Formerly Fairfield Inn Gatlinburg Downtown)   |
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southern Indiana
“Still have mixed feelings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We visited OCL in May and chose it again for our recent 3 night stay in October, mainly for availability and cost. Had mixed feelings for my first review, and have to say I still do.

First, the good things about the hotel. Rates are great, and the AARP discount makes it even better. Rooms are very clean, no complaints in that area. Most front desk staff are very friendly and helpful. Basic continental breakfast is offered, including make-your-own Belgian waffles (YUMMY!). Complimentary USA Today newspaper is available each morning in the lobby. A new addition (possibly seasonal?) that was a big hit with hubby - warm cookies and hot apple cider each afternoon! Location is perfect - easy walk to the main strip, yet quiet. Free in-room Wifi is now available and connection was easy.

And the cons. None of them major, but improvements could easily be made. First, acceptable discounts should be listed on the website. We only knew about AARP because we asked. No itemized receipt is given at check in, just the credit card receipt with total amount. When we got to the room, I noticed immediately that the clock was unplugged - when we plugged it in, we realized it was broken. That should have been addressed when the room was cleaned. We took it down to the front desk, and were told another one would be located and brought up. We can only surmise that the woman who checked us in, and handled the clock issue, must be related to the hotel management. I can't fathom why someone so unfriendly would otherwise be placed in a customer service position. Everyone else was super friendly. Beds were still sqeaky, but these were not as bad as the ones we had in May. W were prepared with heavy duty earplugs. Wifi was easy to connect to, but very slow. My browser would time out on many of the pages I normally access on a daily basis. There was a nice flat screen TV, but no channel guide in the room. Also no pen or note paper. The small towel rack next to the sink was loose and ready to fall off the wall, so we didn't use it any more than we had to. And my hubby was once again disappointed in the very watery sausage gravy at breakfast.

All in all, this place is a good value for what you get.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

fantastic prices in a quaint,beautiful area,on a stream. would definitely go there again.Went there without any reservations or knowing anything about the hotel. The staff was very friendly and were great at giving information about Gatlinburg

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

no complaints at all. this was the first time we've stayed there. Room was clean, very comfortable, great view of the creek from a big balcony. Next time we go, we will certainly stay there again. Clean room, very friendly staff, quiet as can be.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is one block from the Main Street where all the shops and craziness is. I think it is a perfect location. Short walk to everything but not so loud from all of the people. The stream is nice but no big deal. The rooms are clean and there is a fridge and microwave in room which is nice. Spacious and extra chair in roon was nice. It's expensive but I think it's one if the best places in gatlinburg. Very similar to the bear skin lodge. I wouldnt pay any extra staying there.

• Stayed October 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I travel to Gatlimburg a couple of times a year, but this was the first time I stayed at Old Creek Lodge. What a bargain! The hotel is newly remodeled, rustic, and decorated beautifully. Each room has a fireplace and looks out to a real mountain stream--very cozy and romantic. The location is perfect because, in Gatlinburg, you want to be close to "the strip," but you don't really want to be "on" the strip. I mean, why travel to a rustic, mountain, vacation destination just to sit on your balcony and inhale car exhaust fumes? OCL finds that perfect sweet spot of being a 3 minute scenic walk from the excitement of the strip but being worlds away in your own quiet mountain stream heaven. The price I paid was surprisingly affordable and cheaper than lower quality hotels I've stayed at in the past. I will absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: From what I can tell, they are all perfect, but if you need an elevator, ask for a room in the cente...
Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My expectations of a hotel: I want a clean, well kept room that shows little evidence of a previous guest. I want a reasonably comfy bed and clean bed linens.

I researched places to stay in Gatlinburg at thought this hotel would be affordable for our trip budget and based on other reviews, a good choice. I knew the property was older, but felt pretty confident that the renovations would make that a non-issue.

We arrived to our room late in the evening and were on the top floor which I was pleased with. The front desk staff person was very nice and all seemed good.

The first thing we noticed upon entering the room was the carpet was worn out and tattered. A turn off, but not a biggie. The room looked just like the photos online. At first glance everything looked okay. There is a fireplace in the room. It is on a timer switch and enclosed in glass which makes sense for a hotel room. There is a nice balcony and you can hear the water rushing in the creek below which was neat. All rooms back up to the creek below. All rooms have outdoor access.

The bed linens were okay but there was hair from a previous guest on the throw pillows. I removed those pillows and the linens seemed to be okay until I went to bed and there was a mascara stain on one of my bed pillows. The mattresses were the oldest and most noisy mattresses I had ever heard. When you made any movement, it was loud. Like the twisting and stretching of old ropes. If you were still, it was okay, but any movement and it sounded like an old hammock. :(

The bathroom surfaces were dark, so I couldn't tell if the shower was dirty. But there were hairs in the sink and when I reached for a towel, there were hairs on the guest towels, not my color. :( The toilet wasn't clean when we arrived either.

When I got up from our noisy sleep the next morning, I headed for the bathroom in the darkness and daylight was shining in from underneath the door. Like a 1/4 to 1/2 inch space. I wondered why we could hear the delivery trucks coming down River Road so loudly and that explained it.

The breakfast was just okay. Biscuits and gravy. A few dry cereals. Waffles. An assortment of small pastries and a little fruit. Toast. Coffee, OJ. Again, the morning staff were very nice.

We were scheduled for two nights. After we returned to our room after breakfast we found that a band-aid was holding the "Do Not Disturb" sign together. So we decided to leave.

I wish our experience had been more pleasant because it is a great location and the front desk staff were very nice.

Findlay, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Tried Old Creek Lodge because of it's great location...we like to stay on River Rd. This was a last minute trip for us and the other 2 hotels we like to stay at were booked...Old Creek had rooms available and now we know why. Room had a smell to it that wasn't musty but as if it just needed a good cleaning. Furniture was very dusty, crumbs on floor and still some trash on floor behind waste can in living area. It is nice that they're so close to Bennett's and the entrance to park. Claiming to have a beautiful river-view may be the case from some rooms, but ours had a view of the rear of a building that has gone out of business and lots of trash is piled up behind it! (building is in L shape and we were in part closest to lobby) Not my idea of a beautiful river view!!! The river does have a comforting sound though when patio door is left open. Not sure what their NO SMOKING all entails and was going to ask because every time we went out on our balcony (we are non-smokers) the people directly below us were out smoking. We love to be outside but this kind of ruined it for us. Was going to question but when we stopped in lobby, the only lady working was kicked back in the chair in front of desk with her feet propped up eating a bag of Sunchips...she seemed as if it was a major inconvenience to have to ask if she could help us! Carpet had a grimy feel to it and couldn't bring myself to sit on the comforter which you know is never cleaned because it weighed a ton and would take forever to dry. Beds are hard as a rock and both of our back were killing us after what was supposed to be a relaxing time. Only good thing was we were given a discount we didn't know about when we checked in because we were staying 4 nights...however still not worth what we paid. There are much nicer hotels in area for the same $$.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!