“Needs upgrading” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 86 hotels in Gatlinburg
Richmond, Virginia
“Needs upgrading”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We wanted to love this hotel but overall it was disappointing.
What we liked:
1. the pool and mini golf were great for our young kids
2. great location - within walking distance to the shopping district
3. Free parking
. Super friendly front desk staff
5. Inexpensive
6. Delicious breakfast buffet
What we didn't like:
1. Paper thin walls
2. Bathtub didn't drain. There is nothing grosser than being ankle deep in water while taking a shower, especially when you know it's because the drain is clogged with other peoples' hair. We called the front desk and they called maintenance but maintenance never came. They promised to send maintenance the next day but apparently they didn't because it was exactly the same the next night.
3. Plumbing problems, the toilet wouldn't stop running after we flushed it so we had to lift the lid to pull the chain. Gross.
4. Noisy air conditioning unit. We ended up turning it off because of the noise, but then couldn't sleep because the room got too hot. We kept going back and forth and didn't get much sleep
5. The waitress at the breakfast buffet had absolutely no idea how to handle a family with allergies. My child has a severe peanut allergy so we asked the waitress which foods we should avoid on the buffet. Apparently she never heard that question before because she looked really confused, blinked a couple of times and then shrugged. She said that she didn't know, which I might forgive, but she didn't make any effort to find out and didn't ask the chef. Not good! Peanut allergies are life-threatening (at least ours is) so we were very concerned about the lack of training, knowledge or concern.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Andy H, General Manager at Glenstone Lodge, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! Your feedback is important to me and my team and we hope to have you stay with us again. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in the future! Regards, Andy

556 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I walked in the front doors to see a beautiful rock center piece which encased a glass elevator. I continued around the rock centerpiece to the checking counter. I was greeted by 2 women behind the counter while one checked me in the three of us were in gaged in a laughing conversation. I then proceeded to the room on the 3rd floor (elevator) where I came to the room there were chairs placed by each door. I opened the door and said wow, I must say I scheduled the room through Expedia's unknown bookings so I wasn't sure where i was staying or what kind of room I'ld end up with. Expedia's been great for me with my bookings. I seen a clean well kept fresh smelling room. With all the necessaries I needed. An iron a blow dryer coffee pot alarm clock radio fridge and a flat s teen tv. I didn't hang around the room long as I spotted a pool a picnic shelter area and the creek running behind the parking lot. I changed and took a walk in the creek. What a wonderful experience. Then I went to find a ace to eat where there are several choices within a mile or less to choose from. I chose Texas Steakhouse. Great place to eat and great staff as well. I then turned right from the steakhouse and was in the Smoky Mountains within less then 5 mins. Later I returned to the room where it was quite and comfy. To my surprise as I laid down the bed and pillows were very comfortable. Unusual for my normal overnight trips. I Slept well. I went down to check out when I realized the fronton by had an AYCE Buffet and drink for $10.00. My kinda meal. Must say full course meal and great coffee too. I hope you enjoy the pictures because this was one of the Best Adventures I've been treated to in a long time. Friendly staff and clean fresh room # 364. Great food and great mountains. If you don't see them, your not looking or going the right direction. #naturalsmokymountainhigh.

• Stayed September 2013
Andy H, General Manager at Glenstone Lodge, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding you recent stay with us. We appreciate that you chose the Glenstone Lodge over other hotels, but we are expecially pleased that your stay was comfortable and memorable. Please come back again
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I got a package deal so the cost was much lower than the normal room rates. I would not pay their normal rates for this hotel: it is pretty dated, the room was not as advertised and the beds were way too firm. However, we didn't have to deal with the usual irritants you get at motels; noisy neighbors, pests (at least that I could see), etc. also, the indoor swimming pool was very nice - like the waterfall, & the hotel was in a good location. So - I come across another deal I may stay hear, just not @ normal rates.

• Stayed August 2013
We appreciate that you took the time to write a review on TripAdvisor, and it is disappointing that you did not consider your stay to be "stellar". However, comments such as yours are great training tools for our staff so that we might continually improve our product and service..
Lenoir City, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

On this past Labor Day holiday, myself & my girl friend were fortunate to find an available room at the Glenstone Lodge in downtown Gatlinburg, Tn. The first thing we noticed was a very well manicured grounds around the lodge. Our next surprise was stepping into a large but welcoming check-in space which included our first look at their large and beautiful in-door pool & hot tub, complete with a very neat indoor water falls! My girl friend couldn't wait to try it out!! The bad news here was I forgot to pack my trunks!! Our room over looked a small creek as well as the out-door pool. The room was adaquit but on the small side. The only thing we didn't like was a very noisy A/C unit that freezes out the person sleeping on the nearest bed to it!! BRRR!! There was no way to adjust it. We finally went swimming in the in-door pool at 10:30 before it closed at it posted time of 11:00 PM. However, as 11 o'clock approached, the maintenance staff got somewhat pushy about our leaving on time. Besides the two of us, there were two young men also swimming. I believe the hospitable thing to do, was say to us: Our pool closes at 11, however, "We noticed you arrived rather late, so please enjoy another 15 minutes on behalf of the lodge." "However, we must insist you leave our pool area after the extended time, thank you." Our room included Breakfast down in the main lobby area, the breakfast was very good and included a good assortment of goodies. Over all our stay was a pleasant one!!

Room Tip: I would get one King bed rather than two Queens
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Glenstone Lodge and thank you for writing a review in TripAdvisor. We appreciate your candid remarks and hope you choose to stay with us again when your travels bring you through East Tennessee
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is located just a couple blocks off the main strip. The lobby is very nice, and all the people on the staff that I talked with were very nice and helpful. There are two pool areas here, an indoor and an outdoor. I looked at the outdoor one and it looked nice but I did not get a chance to go swimming in it. The indoor pool area is nice. It is kept warm, and has three levels of pool. The bottom level is shallow and tops out at approximately 4ft deep. The top level is between 7 and 9ft deep. In the middle is a hot tub area, be careful, the two steps down in to this area are deeper then the look. The route to our room left a bit to be desired. We took the elevator up to our second floor room and had to walk through a very hot corridor that led us to the balcony walkway inside the very warm pool area. Our air conditioner in our room work real well and it was nice to reach a cool room after a very warm walk. The room was clean, if a bit dated. There was a little under the counter mini fridge, a hair dryer, and a nice little coffee pot to get you started in the morning. This would have been a top of the line hotel in its day, but I believe it's time for a makeover. The bed and pillows were clean but not the most comfortable I have slept on. Would I stay here again? Maybe, but not at the price we paid for the room.

Room Tip: Don't get a room over looking the indoor pool if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Andy H, General Manager at Glenstone Lodge, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for your recent review oon TripAdvisor of the Glenstone Lodge. We are so happy that your stay was enjoyable and comfortable and we hope you will choose to stay with us again when you travel in Gatlinburg
London, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The staff at the Glenstone Lodge were fantastic. Special thanks to Shawn at the front desk, who gave us great tips of places to go eat, things to do, and overall really welcomed us to the hotel and town.
Really liked both the indoor and outdoor pools, very nice. Breakfast was good, but felt like trying different things so we only ate there the one day. Location was good, very quick walk to the main drag, but not right in it.

Rooms and common areas were pretty dated and worn. Tub didn't drain well. Curtains did little to keep out the sunlight. Beds were passable, not the greatest comfort.

We were put up here by the Holiday Inn Club Vacations, and got decent enough value after we sat through the presentation. The presentation was bad, but I should have expected that going in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our experience with Glenstone Lodge has been an absolute nightmare. On Thursday, August 29th, my son and I checked in ahead of my husband and youngest son. We purchased a Travelzoo voucher for a 4 night stay and were looking forward to a weekend getaway. We live close to the area and were aware that the hotel is aging, but did not really mind as long as it was clean. We did not anticipate it being unhealthy. We were assigned to room 358 I believe. The only access to the room was outside, though you needed to go into the interior of the hotel to reach the third floor. It appeared that we were placed in the oldest section of the building and we did not notice any other guests in this area-curtains were open, beds made and no visible luggage. We opened the door to the room and were overwhelmed by a musty, moldy rotten smell. I cannot adequately express how horrible this smell was. While I have never smelled rotting corpses or frequented a meth lab I imagine this is how they might smell. My son is 13 and has asthma that is normally very well controlled. In addition, he is also allergic to mold. He immediately began having difficulty breathing and began coughing. The air conditioner in the room was already running, so we opened the door to air it out. It did not work and my son was unable to be in the room. I immediately called the front desk and told them our situation and asked to be moved. I was called back but told that it was a holiday weekend and nothing could be done. It became obvious with the first call to the front desk that nothing was going to be done and that the hotel staff did not care. I was called back one more time and asked if I minded being moved to another area. I responded that I did not mind but was called back once again after an employee allegedly called a manager and yet again we were told that it was a holiday weekend and nothing could be done. We were in the room for approximately 30 minutes and I went to the front desk to check out and let them know we could not stay in the room. We were told that we should be able to arrange a refund through Travelzoo or through management since we did not stay. Travelzoo has contacted the merchant and was told by the staff that we did not cancel our reservations, though we did indeed check-in and check-out within less that an hour. It appears as if they lied to them to avoid having to give a refund. I spoke with the general manager today and he has refused a refund but offered to let us stay again in the hotel. You couldn't pay me to stay in this place. At no time did the manager apologize or act as if he cared about our experience. We will chalk this up as a lesson learned and hope others can learn from our mistake. After our ordeal, we happily checked into the Music Row Hotel in Pigeon Forge and had a great weekend free from the nastiness that is Glenstone Lodge.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Andy H, General Manager at Glenstone Lodge, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at The Glenstone Lodge. We sincerely apologize that your family getaway was anything less than extraordinary. We pride ourselves on our exceptional customer service, and we will properly address each of your concerns so that we can continue to improve. We hope that one day we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Glenstone Lodge......

Been to Glenstone Lodge? Share your experiences!