“OOOOO my aching back!!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Glenstone Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   504 Historic Nature Trail, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #54 of 88 Hotels in Gatlinburg
alabama
“OOOOO my aching back!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here three nights in October 2012. I bought a Groupon deal at half price, so I thought I had got a bargain! This was the most miserable three nights of our stay, from the rock hard beds, to the paper thin walls, to the elevator breaking down twice during our stay(my husband had a knee replacement), to the very outdated room, a small refrigerator, but no microwave... what sense does that make??... We wish we had spent the extra $20 per night and continued our stay down the road....at least they offered free breakfast!! This place wanted almost $10 each for our family of four and there weren't even that many choices! The only good thing i can say is that we did see a bear in the parking lot on the night before we checked out, that was the highlight of our stay st this motel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I just stayed at this lodge this past weekend. We had found this deal on travelzoo for a king bed, mountain side room. We checked in and went up to our room and to our suprise the room had double beds and a view to a hallway. We went back down to let the front desk lady know that we paid for a mountain side view and that was not what they gave us. The front desk lady gave us an attitude and said that was all they had available and there was nothing else she could do. I asked to speak with a manager and the manager never came out, all she said was that they can not control what third party agencies do.
We asked them to compromise with us and give us a credit for the difference of a mountain view versus a hallway and they were not willing to work with us, they didn't even offer complementary breakfast.
Never again will I stay at this lodge, the rooms are not updated, the wallpaper is starting to peel, bathrooms are not updated they have that blue old ugly tile and the water does not drain properly in the tub and there was not hair dryer in the room. Other than that Gatlinburg is a beautifull place to visit, especially at this time of year.

Tazewell, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is the real deal at $50.00 dollars a night. Wonderful location close to the main part of town. Breakfast buffet at $8.95 is one of the best deals in town. True it's over 50 years old, but is being maintained very well for the price.

Room Tip: Room next to the stream are the best choice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We spent two nights at the Glenstone Lodge while we visited Gatlinburg. The location was perfect, off the main road and away from the crowds. It's an older hotel and the decor is dated but the room was comfortable. There was mold in the shower between the tiles and some rust around the door frame. We didn't have a refridgerator in the room but found out you could get one delivered to the room if available. The pool was very nice and our twin 7 year olds loved it. There were always towels available when we went down. The breakfast buffet was very good and a great value. We would stay here again on future visits.

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I booked this hotel as a last-minute family getaway. The Trip Advisor reviews seemed to be mixed to slightly negative, but given the short notice and limited supply, I rolled the dice. In short, we were pleased with the Glenstone Lodge.

We had no problem with check-in, and our reservation was correct (I used Expedia). We had a room that looked out over the indoor pool area. The hotel clearly is two separate buildings that have been joined together, and finding our room was not easy. That being said, I think we were better off in the "back" building (with the exterior- and indoor pool-facing rooms) as opposed to the "front" 5-story building. The building does show its age, but that's not unusual for Gatlinburg hotels.

We found the room to be clean and everything in working order. TV picture and channel selection left something to be desired, but that was no big deal.

The indoor pool area was cool - there is a 3-4 foot pool, adjoining a kiddie pool and a hot tub. Climb up a set of stairs and there's a 9 foot pool that spills over into the shallow pool. There's also a tower with a fountain that spills down and has a staircase between the two pools, but the fountain only ran for a limited time during our stay. The pool is probably this hotel's best asset -- I'd suggest that they heat it, and it would be perfect. There was also a little putting green area which would have entertained my daughter for a long time, but there were no putters or golf balls.

My biggest warning to future guests is about location. I've been to Gatlinburg many times and know the general layout of the area, so I knew this hotel was several blocks off the main Parkway. We hiked down and up the hill several times without a problem, but the walk is not for everybody. It's about a half mile down hill from the hotel to the Parkway, and of course up hill on the return.

Overall, I think if you're OK with the walk to the Parkway, if you're looking for an indoor pool area for the kids, a reasonable price, and a clean room, I would recommend the Glenstone Lodge - but I'd try to get a room in the back building.

Douglasville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I wasn't impressed, and I'm not super-picky. The lock didn't work on our door, and it too two calls to the front desk to get the maintenance guy up to fix it. The toilet paper holder was broken (with the pieces lying on the counter), dead moth in the bathroom light fixture, beds were saggy in the middle, candy wrapper in the corner that wasn't ours...all the little things quickly added up. Check-out is at 11am, yet housekeeping was banging on the door at 8am, and again at 9am, asking if we were leaving yet. Of course, they didn't understand us when we answered, so I'm not sure why they bothered to ask in the first place. Pool was excellent, kids really enjoyed it. Not staying here again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We had booked a couple of rooms for a weekend getaway with friends. Upon arriving, we had our conformation papers out ready to check in. Lo and behold when we get to check in the woman at the front desk said we can't give you what you booked for. "READ THE FINE PRINT" she said. Instead of getting king rooms with mountain view we had to settle for 2 double beds and a view of the pool. She said all downgrade rooms are just like the king rooms. The woman wouldn't have a job if I was her manager. Talk about poor customer service!! We were embarrassed and beyond ticked off. So we get to the rooms and its nothin what the website looks like. Very deceiving. We then made a PAC to find another room somewhere else. And talk to the manager the next morning.
Next morning as I looked in the corner of the mirror another FINE PRINT!! What is it with these people!
Talked to manager and he apologized on the rudeness of his employes not acceptable in my book!! He gave us a moderate discount for our trouble so we didn't leave his hotel. I know for one thing WE WON'T BE BACK!!
If you have to rread the fine print at everything stay away!!

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Glenstone Lodge? Share your experiences!