“Inconsistent.” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Inconsistent.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I dined here a few years ago and thought it was reasonably tasty. Coupled with my previous experience and the reviews here, I tried it again and was disappointed. The restaurant was full for lunch, so perhaps the chef in the back had trouble keeping up. We ordered a squash latke as an appetizer and after 30 mins of waiting, our server informed us that the chef was having trouble preparing it. Once it arrived, it was slightly burnt, which really wasn't the downside - the latke was drenched in a curry sauce and the flavors didn't go well together. I ordered the restaurant's version of a BLT, which consisted of rye bread, bacon, lettuce, tomato, balsamic and curry sauce. In my opinion, the combination of the tomato, sweet balsamic, and rich curry sauce was overly complex and did not go well together. The restaurant seemed to try to do too much, when the sandwich would have been better with simple, quality ingredients paired well. I would venture over to the Angry Trout or even the fish market before trying this restaurant a third time. One thing to note, however, was that the service was very pleasant (and the latke was removed from our bill without our request).

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

92% Recommend
San Francisco, CA
“Out of six persons, five thought food was terrific!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We consider this a find. Terrific food with a creative touch, and very good service. Two of us had the Reuben, one had fish, another adult--vegetarian black-eye pies dish, and the kids--Mac and Cheese. All except the adult with the vegetarian dish would give the restaurant an excellent rating. The one with the vegetarian dish was a bit disappointed.

The Reuben was terrific--the closest to a New York Reuben. I would skip the popcorn side--inventive but didn't compliment the Reuben well.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Worth Going the Extra "Miles"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I love Grand Marais, and the Crooked Spoon is one of the reasons! Creative dinners, delightfully prepared and presented. The prices are very fair for the quality. Servers were friendly and helpful when we have been there. Hubby had the duck and last time I had the beef cut of the evening- sirloin, which I usually don't order- but the server recommended it, and she was spot on (it was center cut, and very tender).. Sides are creative and seasonal and the presentation was lovely.
There used to be another "gourmet" place in Grand Marais, which we were not crazy about (apparently neither were others because it's now gone), but this one deserves its great ratings. My only complaint was the overly spiced butter served with the (very good) bread- I wish I had known how spicy it was before I put any on my bread. Next time I'll either eat it sans butter, or ask for olive oil or plain butter for the bread. Otherwise, love this place!

• Visited December 2012
“Eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Was pleased with the food and price in this quaint little restaurant. I thought for the quality prices were right on track and the menu was creative and interesting. The good was prepared technically correctly with rich and well developed flavors. For a small town this place is a little gem. Wish it was in our home town!

Duluth, Minnesota
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My daughter and I, dedicated foodies spent weekend in Grand Marais at a crafting workshop in Grand Marais at the North House folk school. beyond our excellent workshop our dinner at the crooked spoon exceeded all expectations. both being Lamb enthusiasts we had the lamb shank. Quality of the meet and preparation were outstanding. Crab cakes, wine poached pear salad were excellent also. desert was a unique interpretation of bananas foster with a carmel brittle instead of sauce, leaving the bananas with their natural firm out of the peel texture. Our service was excellent. Cannot wait until they reopen after their winter break.

• Visited October 2012