“Out of six persons, five thought food was terrific!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
San Francisco, CA
“Out of six persons, five thought food was terrific!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We consider this a find. Terrific food with a creative touch, and very good service. Two of us had the Reuben, one had fish, another adult--vegetarian black-eye pies dish, and the kids--Mac and Cheese. All except the adult with the vegetarian dish would give the restaurant an excellent rating. The one with the vegetarian dish was a bit disappointed.

The Reuben was terrific--the closest to a New York Reuben. I would skip the popcorn side--inventive but didn't compliment the Reuben well.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

92% Recommend
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Worth Going the Extra "Miles"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I love Grand Marais, and the Crooked Spoon is one of the reasons! Creative dinners, delightfully prepared and presented. The prices are very fair for the quality. Servers were friendly and helpful when we have been there. Hubby had the duck and last time I had the beef cut of the evening- sirloin, which I usually don't order- but the server recommended it, and she was spot on (it was center cut, and very tender).. Sides are creative and seasonal and the presentation was lovely.
There used to be another "gourmet" place in Grand Marais, which we were not crazy about (apparently neither were others because it's now gone), but this one deserves its great ratings. My only complaint was the overly spiced butter served with the (very good) bread- I wish I had known how spicy it was before I put any on my bread. Next time I'll either eat it sans butter, or ask for olive oil or plain butter for the bread. Otherwise, love this place!

• Visited December 2012
“Eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Was pleased with the food and price in this quaint little restaurant. I thought for the quality prices were right on track and the menu was creative and interesting. The good was prepared technically correctly with rich and well developed flavors. For a small town this place is a little gem. Wish it was in our home town!

Duluth, Minnesota
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My daughter and I, dedicated foodies spent weekend in Grand Marais at a crafting workshop in Grand Marais at the North House folk school. beyond our excellent workshop our dinner at the crooked spoon exceeded all expectations. both being Lamb enthusiasts we had the lamb shank. Quality of the meet and preparation were outstanding. Crab cakes, wine poached pear salad were excellent also. desert was a unique interpretation of bananas foster with a carmel brittle instead of sauce, leaving the bananas with their natural firm out of the peel texture. Our service was excellent. Cannot wait until they reopen after their winter break.

• Visited October 2012
Chicago, IL
“Excellent Food, Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is a very nice restaurant. The American-inspired dishes are very well-prepared, not really exotic (except for the delicious Kangaroo) but excellent in quality and the portions are generous. The small space is indeed small but cozy and makes for a nice evening. We waited at the bar for about an hour enjoying appetizers and the good selection of wine and beer and we enjoyed the wait as much as we enjoyed our dinner when we were finally seated. What made this experience stand out was the truly excellent and professional service of the entire staff. It is not often I see an entire restaurant work so tirelessly in what must be a very consistently busy and tight space. Despite the nonstop flow of guests, staff members were truly gracious and attentive from start to finish. Pretty remarkable anywhere, let alone in a tourist town with a captive audience. Highly recommended for an adult night out with friends or a loved one.

• Visited September 2012