“Friendly staff, clean and comfortable room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aspen Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Aspen Lodge
Save Saved
You added Aspen Lodge to your Saves list
310 E Hwy 61, Grand Marais, MN 55604   |
Ranked #8 of 11 hotels in Grand Marais
St. Paul, MN
“Friendly staff, clean and comfortable room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Aspen Lodge the last time we were in Grand Marais and honeymooned at Terrace Point, which is under the same management, a few months earlier. Terrace Point was extraordinary!! A quiet condo with incredible natural light and an eat-out balcony overlooking Lake Superior. It was the perfect place to honeymoon! Aspen Lodge is also a great place to stay. The lobby where breakfast is served also has plenty of natural light, which helps me wake up in the morning and is a nice place to sit and get some work done. The shore, co-op, and shops are only a couple blocks away. The room was clean and comfortable, though we mostly used it to rest between our outdoor adventures and socializing. We aren't ones to go on vacation just to watch TV in the hotel room, and after our biking and hiking excursions, we so appreciated the hot tub!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have stayed at the Aspen Lodge on my last two trips to Grand Maris. I found the rooms comfortable and the staff very nice to deal with. We stayed in a room with two queen beds, on the lower level. The room was typical for hotels in this category--nothing spectacular but perfectly adequate. While I find the style of the carpet and upholstery to be a bit dated, I did not see any of the kinds of problems that some recent reviewers mentioned.

I found the lobby attractive and pleasant. The continental breakfast is modest--mostly cereal, pastries and juice. If you are looking for a hearty breakfast, check out one of the great greasy spoon cafes a few blocks from the hotel. I think of the breakfast offerings in the lobby as a snack before heading out the door.

The swimming pool, hot tub and sauna are nice amenities. I really enjoyed a soak in the hot tub after a long bike ride up and down Hwy 61 on a cold, rainy day.

As one reviewer pointed out, the hotel is not IN downtown. It is a few blocks away, and there are no sidewalks for some of that distance. But there is also nearly zero auto traffic. It is a couple block walk to the lake shore and just a few blocks more to the center of downtown. I can imagine being upset about this if you arrive thinking that the downtown shops and cafes will be right out your door, but as long as you are expecting to walk a few blocks, it is just fine.

The staff at Aspen Lodge is wonderful. I felt truly welcomed by the manager and had all of my questions and concerns addressed promptly and courteously. In reading some of the negative reviews here, I can only imagine that many of these guests did not bother to check in with the staff. I found the staff ready and willing to address anything that came up. Like one of the other reviewers, I also had a problem with our room key. I went to the desk, and the manager came down to help me. It turns out that I was putting the key in the door wrong--completely my own mistake. If the manager was tired of answering this question for the fifty-thousandth time this summer, she did not let on at all. Her concern was clearly on me as a guest and on my stay being a pleasant one for me. Really, if you have a problem, just ask (nicely) and these folks will take care of you.

As a born cheapskate, I do find the room prices high during the summer, but they are exactly in line with every other hotel in town. I have not seen a better room for a better price so close to downtown and to the Lake.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The room smelled like old cigarette smoke, carpet was filthy, pillows old & worn, bedspread dirty. There was no coffee maker in the room, & the breakfast was disappointing to say the least! All this for $189.00.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
COLFAX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Our 1st room was in upper bldg. The room smelled as if there was a dead body in it. After one hr we were experiencing headaches and the odor was permeating into our clothes. We had to find a laundromat. We were moved in main bldg. We left for an hour, came back and keys wouldn't work. Had to run the water in the shower in order to get WARM water in sink. Carpet is so filthy we had to wear our socks. The chairs were ripped and desperately need to be reupholstered. No pen or paper. Continental breakfast is a joke. And, we rec'd all of these unpleasant experiences for $120.00/night. Horrible experience!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chisago City, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The lobby was very nice, but our room was a huge disappointment. The phone was filthy; the drapes looked like they were thrown into the wash machine and hung up without ironing. They were all wrinkled and looked just horrible. There was mold on the drapery linings and what looked like big black paint stains. I wiped the tables off because they felt sticky.

We had a room with 2 queen-size beds.The beds were as hard as a rock, and there wasn't much to the pillows. The pillows and bedding need to be replaced. The bedding is old and worn, and bedspreads were both stained and dirty; the blanket on 1 bed had 2 holes in it, and the other blanket was stained. The manager came in to take a look and would only give us fresh sheets; he wouldn't give us a fresh bedspread and blanket. The walls were scuffed up and in need of paint, and the hallway carpet was just filthy. I say this in all seriousness: Our garage floor is cleaner than the carpeting in the hallway. The fan in the bathroom was very noisy; needs to be fixed or replaced. We had to run the shower for 20 minutes before we could get any hotwater.

There was a outdated 26-inch vintage 80's TV in the room that needs to be replaced. The picture on it was not very clear. There was no microwave or coffeepot in the room.

We didn't stay for breakfast and from the reviews I've read, we didn't miss anything. We would not stay here again if it was free.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand M, Manager at Aspen Lodge, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
We're so sorry you didn't receive the clean, comfortable lodging to which we are committed. Had management realized the extent of the room's problems, we would have moved you immediately. We thank you for bringing this to our attention and are working to correct the issues you listed. This is not the typical experience of the Aspen Lodge guest--some folks even tell us our beds are the most comfortable they've ever slept in. We provide coffee and a microwave in our lobby 24 hours a day.

We hope you'll give us a chance again in the future as we maintain our facility and improve our amenities.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

From what we had read online, we assumed it would be easy to walk to the downtown. Now, having said that...if you were a young couple it would have been. We have 2 kids and a stroller...there was not really an easy-safe route that we could have taken. However, it wasn't hard to drive and find a spot to park downtown.

The room was clean nothing spectacular...what you would expect at that price. No elevator....also difficult with 2 kids and all their stuff.

We did have a nice view of the lake from our room. The breakfast was nice...they gave a free donut from "The Worlds Best Donut".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I made the mistake of going up north of duluth without a reservation but managed to find this place on my phone. They had two rooms left and she gave me a room with a king bed and a spa at a slight discount which I appreciated. My room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The spa tub is in the main room....so it was like a honeymoon suite kind of thing. It was quiet and I had no problems with the stuff I had in my vehicle. Compare the room to your standard mid grade hotels. Overall a good experience and worth stopping again. They have a continental breakfast as well. The pool also looked ok but I did not get too close.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Aspen Lodge? Share your experiences!