“If the price of the room was 1/2 of what it cost it would have been a value.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Aspen Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Aspen Inn
1711 W Hwy 61, Grand Marais, MN 55604-0667   |
Ranked #11 of 11 hotels in Grand Marais
Fergus Falls, Minnesota
“If the price of the room was 1/2 of what it cost it would have been a value.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Spend a little more and get your monies worth. I WILL NOT stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Port Washington, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

This hotel allows dogs but be wary. Dogs are only allowed in smoking rooms. Apparently a smoking room entitles you to not only the smell of heavy smoke, the smell of rotten fish.

Regardless of the smell, the room was a complete pigsty. The shower had silverfish crawling all over it, and the bathroom sink had hair all over it.

The front desk staff refused to put us up in another room, and would only return half of our money.

The Super 8 is one of the cheaper hotels in Grand Marais, but your better off spending a few bucks somewhere else. In the end my wife and I car camped in one of the state parks, minus $50 plus dollars.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Superior, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

A great hotel on the lake. Nothing fancy, but very clean and very friendly staff. Recommended if staying in Grand Marais.

• Stayed February 2011
Medina, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

Sometimes, when it's pouring rain and thundering hail, all you need is a hot shower and a soft bed. This place provides that. My wife and I took refuge at this property after a treacherous storm chased us out of the Boundary Waters area. We didn't care about the amenities of a resort, or the views of the hotels in town, so as this was an unscheduled stay, we gladly paid about half the price of the other hotels. I'm not sure if I would make this the destination of a romantic getaway, as it doesn't have the charm of the resorts or in-town properties, but it is a clean, basic, well-priced no-frills alternative.

The property is located south of town, probably not within walking distance. It is an older style drive-up motel (which we didn't mind, actually, given the driving rain). The exterior is very dated. We found an excellent rate on orbitz on the same day, and the clerk had no problem finding the rate. We didn't use the hottub, but it looked clean from the lobby.

The room was also dated, but very clean. This was especially true with the carpet, air conditioning unit, and furniture. The only aspect of the room that looked relatively new was the bathroom. The room had a fridge and a very large bed.

The breakfast in the morning was free, but weak. There were cereals, coffee, and muffins. Given the cheap rate, though, I didn't mind.

I would recommend this hotel to those who don't necessarily see Grand Marais as a destination, but rather, a stopover to somewhere else. The rate is great, and the room is decent, if basic.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Pinconning, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

The room was one of the less expensive rooms in Grand Marais, and I was very happy with my decision to stay here. The room was nice and smelled fine. The wireless internet worked very well, which is not always the case. The staff was friendly. The hotel was very quiet too, though that may depend on where your room is. My only complaint would be that there is no view of the lake from the hotel, which I would have liked, though that is a very minor issue.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Thunder Bay, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

My father and I stayed here as part of the Lutsen ski package, which was an amazing deal. Basically, if you were to pay for the 2 day lift ticket deal, it is the same price to take a package with 2 days of skiing and 2 nights stay, so I naturally did.

Check in was great, the staff were friendly and I found the room to be very clean and adequate. I have stayed at several Super 8 hotels in Canada in the US and this one is certainly above the standard. The hot tub was in good order and the sauna heated up quickly to a temperature of roughly 80 Celsius, although you could set it lower if you like. My only complaint was that the hot tub area closed at 10 pm, although the staff closing it up didn't seem to mind the beers we were drinking despite the no alcoholic beverages sign.

The family restaurant directly next door was also very convenient, but I wouldn't consider it to be a family restaurant than a pub. Great food and cheap drinks.

I have seen some complaints that this isn't really like a resort hotel like some of the other accommodations in the area. Have you ever stayed at a Super 8 in a city? Why would this be any different! I have previously stayed at some of those other places in the Grand Marais area which position themselves as being in the pristine and north, which I'm sure some people coming to the area care about, but I don't. It's probably because I'm from Canada, not looking for that experience or to pretend that it exists in this area, relative to where I;m from anyway, which I suppose is contextual.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Well if price is what your looking for, I guess this is the place. I think I would rather pay a few more bucks and stay in another place next time. We stayed in the newer section and all looked ok, then when we entered the room there was a strange smell, it smelled like a heavy cleaner masking something else kind of a musty smell. The beds were your standard no frills super 8's, and the pillow were the same low quality. As we went to sleep we kept hearing a tap in the bathroom. We heard this all night long and at one point pinpointed it to a wall behind the toilet. Never did figure what it was, but it kept us up most of the night. The breakfast was the normal bagels and muffins. On a positive note, the Sara Lee sweet rolls were pretty good. All in all, if price is what you want it will still set you back $90 but I would rather pay $120 down the road.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Aspen Inn? Share your experiences!